Will CLA be able to save this? (Vote)

sunung1188

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dropped my M10 with my 50 Cron attached from chest height and it luckily landed right on the Leica Uva II filter.

The optics of the lens seem unscathed but I could not remove the filter and the focus ring becomes slightly stiff half way turning.

I’m amazed the glass on the Leica Uva II did not shatter and finally I know the importance of why a good filter is crucial for protection.

Just sent it in for CLA - here’s a vote: Do you think CLA by Leica can save the cron? :) it’s my first ever CLA!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by sunung1188

I suspect they will be able to return your lens as if nothing had ever happened to it.

As mentioned by Pedaes in post #2, however, cost might be a bit of an issue depending on what the engineers find on strip-down of the lens.

Best of good fortune!

Philip.

A CLA by anyone would not fix this.

But as a repair job? No problem.

I threw my Apo-Summicron-M 90 Asph onto the cobbles outside Parma cathedral some years ago. The glass appeared intact, but the focus had locked. Leica repaired it (a few hundred pounds IIRC) and it literally was like new. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

The filter threads, on the lens, may well be damaged, but a successful REPAIR is probable. Some parts replacement may be necessary. A mere “CLA” would be insufficient. I do not see how my “vote” can be helpful, as it would be based upon a mere guess.

The chief lesson that I can see, in these images, is that a hood can act to protect both the filter and the lens. True, a hood is not always feasible, but I like to use a hood, unless something about the shoot dictates its removal. A Heliopan Adapterring/Step-Up Ring can, in some cases, act as an inexpensive, more-compact substitute for a hood.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

I've dropped a lens once in my 50+ years using Leicas, a 35 Summicron v2, just a few feet to a hardwood floor. No visible damage, but some binding on the focus. DAG repaired it, but noticed some edge separation starting between 2 glued elements. Separation often starts with a shock like that, so be aware there could be more to fix than just the mechanical parts. However, my v2 Summicron used Canadian Balsam as the element glue, so more modern lenses may be stronger. 

4 hours ago, frame-it said:

outside a Cathedral? this story sounds interesting :)

Not particularly interesting! I was with choir on tour to Bologna and Parma; we were hanging around outside before the recital, so of course I was taking photos. When we were summoned, I grabbed my bag from the ground in a hurry, and the strap caught underneath, turning it upside down. My lens, sitting inside, took a looping path to the cobbles. I should have (a) been more careful picking up the bag and (b) kept the bag fastened closed when not in immediate use.

Edited by LocalHero1953