M11 “File unreadable” message and lockup

Mac Sinclair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, Mac Sinclair said:

Hi, yes I am beginning to think this maybe just a M11 trait, not shared with my SL or any other cameras I have. I don’t like it but I can work around it. 

A couple of ways to work around it:

1 - Lock the card before inserting it into your Mac.

2 - I use the iPad Pro and Fotos to review the image using wifi and download if necessary to examine further via Lightroom.

I'm sure there are others but that's what comes to mind.

Edited by Kwesi
added "and Fotos"

6 minutes ago, lct said:

Do you mean in the current M11 firmware (1.5.0.1)? 

Yes, latest firmware for M11 (1.5.01) and M10M (4.22.11.52). I assume it is the same with the latest firmware in M10-R as well.

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

Yes, latest firmware for M11 (1.5.01) and M10M (4.22.11.52). I assume it is the same with the latest firmware in M10-R as well.

My M11 under 1.5.0.1. does not show errors when ACR modifies DNG. Only a black screen with the name of the file in the middle. I did the test only once though.

19 minutes ago, lct said:

My M11 under 1.5.0.1. does not show errors when ACR modifies DNG. Only a black screen with the name of the file in the middle. I did the test only once though.

To clarify: my M11 under 1.5.0.1, with an image modified by ACR, shows a black screen with the text "File Unreadable" when trying to review the modified image. However, there is no lockup, and the camera works normally. The M10M shows the file name instead of "File Unreadable."

48 minutes ago, SrMi said:

To clarify: my M11 under 1.5.0.1, with an image modified by ACR, shows a black screen with the text "File Unreadable" when trying to review the modified image. However, there is no lockup, and the camera works normally.

No lockup for me either but no text "File Unreadable". Just the black screen and the file number.  FWIW.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mahesh said:

Can somebody confirm that I have to only apply the latest firmware and that will include all previous updates? I could not see anything to that effect in Leica's release notes or elsewhere. Thank you.

If the release note does not say otherwise, I always assume that the latest update includes all previous updates.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SrMi said:

To clarify: my M11 under 1.5.0.1, with an image modified by ACR, shows a black screen with the text "File Unreadable" when trying to review the modified image. However, there is no lockup, and the camera works normally. The M10M shows the file name instead of "File Unreadable."

Isn't that normal. Adobe adds all the setting you have changed in the software and make a new DNG.

If you want tot give a client all the DNG with all the setting, masks, crop, that is the way to do it. does files only show in Lightroom or ACR.

If you export a DNG from Capture one is it is clean. they have to use a different file type.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:14 PM, Mac Sinclair said:

Hi, yes I am beginning to think this maybe just a M11 trait, not shared with my SL or any other cameras I have.

It's been a while, but IIRC, the M10, or perhaps the 240, had a similar problem if alien files wound up on the card. Importing via LR never was a problem, but if one used the Mac native photo app some cruft files wound up on the card which screwed things up.