Visoflex 2 in Leica M10 / M10-R

wolan

1 hour ago, MikeMyers said:

I was under the impression that the new Visoflex 2 with larger and higher resolution screen is not compatible with the original M10.

Has anything changed since then? 

Yes, a firmware update allows the new visoflex to work.

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2022/05/leica-adds-visoflex-2-compatibility-to-all-m10-generation-cameras-with-firmware-updates/

vor 27 Minuten schrieb Siriusone59:

Here the update is about the new Visoflex 2 (the square one) and not the round 020 I was talking about.

@wolan, should say which Visoflex it is about.

• Like 1

M Street. Your suggestion was excellent. I did use an eraser and cleaned the one circle contact which has a 'film' over it. And Voila: the EV works well on the M10. It still works great of course on the M11. I was doing a job last August in 103 degree weather for an entire week! Normally the m10 had a 24 mm finder atop the camera...so am thinking my sweat/salt coated that connector...I just bought the M11 a couple of months ago which has become the holder of the 28mm finder...so that's the strory and more than you probably wanted to know. Cheers and thanks for your successful solution. AJZ

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 4:23 PM, jakontil said:

I have sold the viso 020 in place for the viso 2, anyone who still have both viso 020 and 2, could care to make comparison? Is it the same viewfinder size when viso 2 put on m10 compared to viso 020 on m10? Just curious

Resolution does not change but the image will be smaller. The screen is brighter.

Overall build quality is much better, the speed dial is not blocked, and one can leave it on all the time.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, rramesh said:

Resolution does not change but the image will be smaller. The screen is brighter.

Overall build quality is much better, the speed dial is not blocked, and one can leave it on all the time.

So if i put new viso2 on m10, the viewable screen will be smaller compared to when i used viso 020? 
ah okay thanks for the insights… just wondering… may b i should have kept my old viso for the m10

2 hours ago, jakontil said:

So if i put new viso2 on m10, the viewable screen will be smaller compared to when i used viso 020? 
ah okay thanks for the insights… just wondering… may b i should have kept my old viso for the m10

Unfortunately I sold my 002 before I bought the 2, so I have not compared it side by side. But my impression was that the image was smaller but rendered better (brighter, clearer). So on the whole it was worth it.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 3:21 AM, MikeMyers said:

For me, the lack of a GPS is more than enough reason for me to prefer the older version.

Why is GPS important? I got into digital a year ago and never knew such feature existed for cameras.

When I look at photos many years after taking them, I'm sometimes confused about where I took them.  The older you get, the worse this gets.  Given the choice of two versions of Visoflex, one with the GPS and one without, I would want the GPS even if it cost more.  Just me.  Maybe everybody else keeps detailed records, like I did long ago, for a while.  It's one more bonus item that gets added to your EXIIF data for every image.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 5:53 AM, mark r. said:

.... and back screen is better than fooling w/evf on shoe.

I do a lot of photos with my M10 Monochrom on a tripod. 

Rather than getting a Visoflex 2, I'm similarly wondering if continuing to use the back screen (or using the Leica Fotos app to see the image on my iphone / ipad) might be an even clearer "screen" for accurate focus and composition when using a tripod?

This might be a long shot - but anyone happen to have experience of using a Visoflex 2 vs Fotos app with an iphone / ipad, and can opine which you preferred?

Edited by Jon Warwick

7 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

I do a lot of photos with my M10 Monochrom on a tripod. 

Rather than getting a Visoflex 2, I'm similarly wondering if continuing to use the back screen (or using the Leica Fotos app to see the image on my iphone / ipad) might be an even clearer "screen" for accurate focus and composition when using a tripod?

This might be a long shot - but anyone happen to have experience of using a Visoflex 2 vs Fotos app with an iphone / ipad, and can opine which you preferred?

The rear screen and / or Fotos App is fine for tripod work.  The newer iPad mini has surprisingly good resolution and the screen is plenty large enough.  Of course, this doesn’t work when not using a tripod.

I have the 35mm APO and found that close up focusing was difficult using the rear screen, so I eventually bought the Visoflex for that purpose - I use it on the M10R, but I guess it would be better on M11.  Apart from that I rarely use the Visoflex and rangefinder focusing works for me.

Edited by T25UFO
  • Thanks 1

When people use the Visoflex 2, do you tend to focus with the aperture wide open to encourage a more pin-point area of focus  , then stop down to whatever aperture you need (assuming your lens doesn’t have focus shift)?

My only time using the Visoflex 2 was with a 35mm at f5.6, and pretty much everything was blinking red with the focus peaking, and I didn’t find it much use - hence wondering if there is a better way to use it!

• 8 months later...
On 2/7/2023 at 1:53 AM, jakontil said:

I have both. The smaller screen on the Vf2 isn’t noticeable to me. Same resolution, but the Visoflex 2’s OLED screen is a bit sharper. 

• Like 2