Visoflex 2 in Leica M10 / M10-R

wolan

IMO, except if you did not buy the former 020 for your M10 and buy it for both M10 and M11, it is waste of money to get a visoflex 2 that won't give you the plus it adds on the M11. 

OOT, it seems I am among the few that prefere the 020 round shape compared to the square shape of the  V2, but its metal body is a real good thing.

Speaking of battery life with EVF 020 vs V2, I can't say as I have not bought the V2. Anyway, again IMO, EVF are for use in limited time when using a range finder camera.

Edited by Gelatino
  • Like 1

I had the Visoflex 020 for the M10-P for a while and sold it. I recently purchased the Visoflex 2. 

My thoughts …

The 020 has a flimsy build and over time the rubber/plastic material is prone to crack. Especially so in the tropics with high humidity levels. 

The benefit of the 2 is that it does not slide off easily and one can mount it all the time. The image quality is bright and very good. It’s metal so more rigged and the tilt mechanism works very well. There is no GPS. I discerned the power consumption as about the same as the 020. 

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have now my second Visoflex 2 -the first one replaced by the Leica - after the very same first one "black out" after a week. I have impression, if not mounted "perfectly" it could "flickr", but otherwise is excellent. Focusing is easy and acurate. I use it with M 10R BP when Summilux 28 mounted and for close focusing with 35 APO. For that purpose I bought it actually! I agree is not as estetical as 020, but that doesn't bother me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

A question for any users, whether on M10 or M11 ....have you seen any problems with the new Visoflex 2 in terms of scratching or making other markings on the camera's top plate after repeatedly taking the new Visoflex on/off? 

Hi jon i think the offset between the base viso and the top plate of M is quite safe to avoid scratch

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, jakontil said:

Hi jon i think the offset between the base viso and the top plate of M is quite safe to avoid scratch

Scratches unlikely. But over time one might see some bright marks from its plastic feet. I just put a tape over that area and slide the Visoflex over it. Anyway the Visoflex is so robust that I leave it permanently mounted onto the camera.

Edited by rramesh
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I bought the Visoflex for my M10, and last year used it quite a bit.  Then I made an overseas trip, and it sat unused in its case.

I returned, put it on the camera, and had a black screen.  Turned camera off, removed it, replaced it, and I had a clear white screen.  I did this agin a third time, and it seems to be workin properly

It's fine at doing what it's designed for, but my M10 with the Visoflex on top feels like a crude imitation of a DSLR.  I like the Visoflex for use with long lenses, but I prefer my long lenses on a Nikon D750, upgraded now to a D780.  I still see a lot of other uses for it, and plan to keep it, at least as long as I stick with my M10 and don't get an M11.

It's a handy tool, and I appreciate that my images are tagged with my location.

I haven't yet seen the new M11, and the new Visoflex, and I'm afraid to go check them out........

Am 7.8.2022 um 13:20 schrieb Gelatino:

...OOT, it seems I am among the few that prefere the 020 round shape compared to the square shape of the  V2, but its metal body is a real good thing...

I also have the round on the M10 R and am very happy with it. I mostly use it at 50mm and f1 close-up and up to 7m, or at 90 or 135mm, but mostly when using old lenses which I can't focus on without the Visoflex.

GPS is always turned off, reducing battery life insignificantly. I also have a spare battery with me and have not managed to empty both of them to this day.

Edited by M Street Photographer
  • Like 1

I recently purchased an 020.  It's great for using adapted non-leica lenses and for critical focus.  The bad part is that it has shown me that I probably need a diopter correction on my viewfinder.  I didn't realize that my eyesight was that bad prior to using the visoflex and using its built in correction feature.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2022 at 5:56 PM, M Street Photographer said:

GPS is always turned off, reducing battery life insignificantly.

One of my favorite reasons for using the Visoflex is the GPS.  Unfortunately, it's a choice of my thumb-grip or the Visoflex, and the thumb-grip I consider essential.  I understand the new version of the Visoflex has a metal case, so they had to leave the GPS out.  

I try to use the rangefinder as much as possible (why else would I buy this camera?), so the Visoflex isn't that important to me, but if I really needed to use the Visoflex, I'd probably use my Nikon D780 instead.

• 4 weeks later...

i recently bought the visoflex 2; this works well on my M11. But I can not get it to connect to the older M10. I updated the M10 to the lastest firmware, M10-3.22.23.38-Customer, but no benefit. Making any of the three menu choices does not benefit it working. thanks for any ideas. Z

2 hours ago, ajz said:

i recently bought the visoflex 2; this works well on my M11. But I can not get it to connect to the older M10. I updated the M10 to the lastest firmware, M10-3.22.23.38-Customer, but no benefit. Making any of the three menu choices does not benefit it working. thanks for any ideas. Z

It is known issue! Front element of Visoflex connection plate do not fit with counterpart on camera connection plate. With careful manipulation you could overcome the problem. It happened to me with my first Visoflex - picture dissapire all at once, and it was "dead" afterwords. It was replaced with new one, but happened with new one as well. Than I read somewhear on this forum about it. 

vor 15 Stunden schrieb ajz:

I'm sorry but I don't have the problem. The Visoflex 2 (020) works perfectly, switching from display to EVF or LV off is no problem either. However, I have the M10 R.

You can check the contacts on / on the flash shoe for corrosion and if so, try to clean them with a soft eraser in the form of a pencil.
You can call or write to the support in Wetzlar and describe your problem. It can't be complicated.

Thanks, now looking at the contacts, one is dull although it shows a small ‘streak’ across the round contact. Now only to find a pencil with an eraser! Will try it! Z

vor 1 Stunde schrieb ajz:

Thanks, now looking at the contacts, one is dull although it shows a small ‘streak’ across the round contact. Now only to find a pencil with an eraser! Will try it! Z

I meant a "pencil" that doesn't have a lead, but instead of a lead, an eraser. You sharpen it like a pencil. This should also be soft. You can also use it to clean the contacts of a battery, wherever you don't want to or can't work with contact spray.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M Street Photographer