90mm Elmarit and the M10 color problems

tappan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anybody else use this lens (11807-from 1990) on the M10? Anybody dislike the color it produces?
I use this only a little with my M10-P, and always have to correct in post-production. It often gives me a copper look.
I shot this 2 days ago.
Mark

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Well,

1) Your example is obviously a low-sun time of day. And those times of day are called "the Golden Hours" for good reason (look up "Rayleigh Scattering" and the physics of colorful sunsets ;) ). Although "Copper Hours" would be a fair substitute.

2) However, your perception is more or less correct. The 90mm Elmarit-M was originally designed for the R system in 1980-ish, purportedly by Dr. Walter Mandler at Leitz Canada. And then "ported" to the M mount in 1990. And Dr. Mandler did generally design his ca. 1980 lenses with a yellower/greener/cyan-er color balance - almost-but-not-quite a "built-in 81A filter" compared to more modern Leica lenses; progressively since about 1995 or so. Which are pinker/bluer.

3) Personally, I LIKE Dr. Mandler's lens color balance choice - it was high on the list of reasons I switched to Leica overall from other camera systems (in particular, the Kyocera/Contax/Zeiss designs). It makes skin look sun-tanned, rather than sunburnt. ;)

Below is with my 90 Elmarit-M (about 4pm local time, three days ago, M10) - and for me that is color to die for. Neutral grays, but with strong greens, and **pop** everywhere else.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Now that I have a 135 APO-Telyt-M, I have the same problem you do, in reverse.

Getting rid of the modern, blueish/pink "haze" of the APO-Telyt in post-processing, to better match my Mandler 90/50/35/28/21 lenses. ;)

4) But if you prefer the modern Leica color rendering, and a 90mm lens of about f/2.8, you might want to try and find a used 90mm Summarit-M (f2.5/2.4). Generally speaking (although often debated), about the same overall IQ as the Elmarit-M, but subtly-bluer color.

Edited by adan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...