Does anyone else dislike the Q2 lens hood / cap?

38 minutes ago, Farrell Gallery said:

Besides me? I'm a lens flare guy, and wonder if a different lens cap would work if I went with a protective filter and possibly a smaller round hood? 

I actually really like the design of the lens hood. I have a clear filter on and never (ever) use the lens cap. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Very happy with the hood and cap. It never occurred to me to change them.
What's wrong with them?

The cap is large, especially if carried in a pocket. Q-Cap is much shallower.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Fair enough.
I carry my Q2 in a bag. Then, when it's on my wrist in use, the cap is back in the bag. 

That is actually safer, as I have lost caps that I kept in the pocket. I keep it in my pocket only if I do not carry a bag.

Yes, I am not a fan of the cap either. I don't have issues with the hood. I have not tried the Q cap...just a bit fussy to get things shipped here, and it is kind of pricey. I mostly just drop the cap in the bag or my pocket when working, and only use the cap as storage. It is not a great solution though. The metal cap is large and the metal does make noise if it touches something (like other objects in a pocket). It also does not really fit very satisfyingly (probably just low level ocd on my part), in that it does not secure other than with friction and there is a visible gap on the top and bottom where the hood bends inward. So in the case of rain, the water hitting the camera would run down the lens hood and into cap/lens area. There is a small piece of felt on the inside of the cap that contacts the hood, so this might collect the water first, but overall it is not a reassuringly tight seal, like a normal cap would give. Overall it looks like an afterthought it an otherwise well designed camera.

• Thanks 1

I like the lens hood and being in the desert use a B+W clear filter for dust.  Didn't really care for the cap that slides over the front of the hood and use a Lens Hoodie from LensCoat instead.  It's a little fiddly to get on but protects the barrel of the lens as well as the glass.  I use them on all my lenses now.  

Check out the Match Technical lens cap for the Q2.  It’s rubber and very easy to place over the lens shade.  Comes with a clip on a string for one of the hubs for a shoulder strap which can be removed. I only use a wrist strap so it works great.  You can remove the lens cap without worry of losing it since it dangles from the hub out of the of using the camera.  

I like the Q2 lens hood and use it 100%.  It stays on the lens all the time.

The Match Technical lens cap is a great accessory for the Q2 lens:  https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/q-system-accessories/products/lens-cap-lc-sr-01-for-leica-q-and-q2-by-match-technical?variant=29806746206252

Edited by Herr Barnack