Editing Text in your post

Fresno

6 hours ago, evikne said:

The same is the case with pictures actually. I have often posted photos that I took on the same day and I thought they were great. But when I see them again the next day, I realize that the editing is lousy and the picture really embarrasses me. It makes me regret not waiting a day to post it.

I have learned not to post photos that I haven't looked at on a decent screen and edited in LR CC or LR Classic. I have posted photos on social media direct from my phone and been disappointed with it when seen on a bigger screen - not down to the technical limitations of the phone shot, but because I have only seen it on a tiny screen, where faults are hidden.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have learned not to post photos that I haven't looked at on a decent screen and edited in LR CC or LR Classic. I have posted photos on social media direct from my phone and been disappointed with it when seen on a bigger screen - not down to the technical limitations of the phone shot, but because I have only seen it on a tiny screen, where faults are hidden.

I thought of pictures that were edited on a calibrated screen in LR Classic, but when they are completely fresh, I am not always able to uncover their full potential.

Edited by evikne

23 minutes ago, evikne said:

I thought of pictures that were edited on a calibrated screen in LR Classic, but when they are completely fresh, I am not always able to uncover their full potential.

I agree - unless there is someone screaming for them, I try to leave them at least overnight before editing.

• Like 1

A couple of recent examples. When I first posted this cat, I used the standard Adobe Color profile. But the next day I thought it looked much better with an RNI film simulation profile:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And these benches looked just fine as they were. But the next day I got the idea to remove the background color to emphasize the benches:

• Like 1

Here’s a suggestion for Andreas  and the mods. Allow members who use their real names to edit their posts indefinitely. 🙂 

Or why not just everyone? 🤔

I recall when joining many years ago being requested to use a real name and so for the first time on the internet I did. I soon noticed that on this forum I was not behaving like an axe-murdering, racist, misogynistic, psychopathic hippy, like I was everywhere else. It felt like a big step to take, at the time. The internet has changed since then and I fully understand people not wanting to use their real names these days, or indeed back then. I definitely hesitated. Happily, neither I nor my family have been visited by axe-murdering, etc types. The question is, do the admins and mods really believe that it’s the no-editing or deleting policy that is stopping the evil version of each us from coming out to play? I’m admin and mod in a few other places and it just hasn’t been a problem.

I’m the kind who regularly writes to online news journalists, to inform them of problematic typos in their work. They are always grateful, though only occasionally embarrassed. What roydonian says in post #11 is true. As authors, when proof-reading our own work, we see what we intended to write and allow mind-boggling errors to slip through, often delivering completely the opposite meaning. It’s a feature of our evolution that would be very interesting to study. I’m in favour of allowing authors to correct their mistakes, a minute, an hour, a day or ten years after clicking Submit Reply. Edited posts should be marked as such, so returning readers have a clue if they sense a change. Folk should not be embarrassed by this marking; it shows they care.

Regards, Rick. 🙂

Edited by andybarton
Corrected typo at OP request

I was involved in setting up what became a very successful, polite and informative website.  We insisted on real names, so people took responsibility for what they wrote (they did); and limiting the ability to edit posts once a reply was posted.  Not sure that works for typos, though.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb rick_dykstra:

Allow members who use their real names to edit their posts indefinitely.

Thanks for your suggestion! I agree to some of your arguments, disagree with other and I come to other conclusions, because I have a different role here.

Real names are not a good idea, in short the tone doesn't become better (my experience from the Leica Forum) but using them has long term consequences.

For some years – in the early days of the Leica Forum – I requested users to use their real names. The tone wasn't more polite – in many cases quite the opposite. All tests with real names I know of prove the same, including a law in South Korea (Source😞

Zitat

In 2007, South Korea temporarily mandated that all websites with over 100,000 viewers require real names, but scrapped it after it was found to be ineffective at cleaning up abusive and malicious comments (the policy reduced unwanted comments by an estimated .09%).

Another risk is on my side: The more personal data I save in my database the more legal risk I run.

Getting rid of the editing time limit would be great for most users and most discussions. But it can be abused: If posts In a heated discussion are changed later, the „opponent“ can look dumb or aggressive when reacting to a civil toned (after edit) post. 

Another scenario: Withdrawing an image from discussion after getting critique – rendering all careful written comments meaningless.

Again: This isn't something I make up but is my real world experience.

Andreas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LUF Admin said:

Again: This isn't something I make up but is my real world experience.

Hi Andreas. I support your decisions on this of course. It’s your real experience here, along with your exposure and liabilities, that matters. I guess I’m fairly typical amongst Leica users - I like to get things right and to fix my mistakes where possible. Easy to understand. 
It’s a wonderful resource, this forum. Thank you. 
Regards, Rick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LUF Admin said:

But it can be abused: If posts In a heated discussion are changed later, the „opponent“ can look dumb or aggressive when reacting to a civil toned (after edit) post. 

This is exactly why I have suggested that when mods edit their own posts, the posts should be marked as edited.

15 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

But it can be abused: If posts In a heated discussion are changed later, the „opponent“ can look dumb or aggressive when reacting to a civil toned (after edit) post. 

Not if you can’t edit a post after a reply.

It would be very unreasonable of us to expect the admin team to proof-read our posts but it would also be nice if they could make users aware that they are happy to edit posts when users point out that they have, perhaps some weeks later, noticed they made an error such as a typo. Especially if it is in a live and popular thread and even more so if their error has been used to ridicule them, even if it’s just the grammar police having their fun. At the moment the user base probably feels reluctant to ask because they are not sure how amenable the admin team would be and also appreciate it would use up some of their time, which is, of course, valuable.

It’s all a communication kind of thingy 😊

• Like 1

The admins have advised that they will edit important errors when these are brought to their attention. The process is to report one’s own post and request the change. Obviously this should not be used for insignificant typos. 
The admins are also able to delete a post upon request. One of them did this for me the other day when I responded to the wrong person in the wrong thread, which would have been very confusing for all involved.

So, us users need to take a little care with what we write, where we write it and proof read like we’re someone else. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2022 at 5:18 PM, andybarton said:

I don’t think that’s unreasonable (30 or 60 minutes)

That’s plenty of time to correct typos. 

There are times when other kinds of errors occur aside from simple typos. Recently, a couple of hours after replying to someone's comment about one of my photos, I realized I had addressed him by the wrong name. I was not able to correct it. 

I'm sure there's some rationale for putting a time limit on edits, but I have no idea what it could be. Can you or someone else enlighten me?

I also participate in the Fred Miranda Forum and there is no time limit at all on editing. As far as I know, this has never caused any kind of problem.

Thanks,

Brent

3 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Is the time limit a means of preventing someone being mischievous and editing their post to (possibly) make someone replying to their post look like a prat or worse?

Certainly that would be possible and I recall reading a reason like this being stated by the mods. 
I use Reddit where unlimited editing is possible. There’s regular instances where someone submits a reply with a suggested edit to another user’s comment, say, where a typo causes opposite meaning. This is then fixed by the author, causing the suggestion to look redundant, but it’s not a problem. I’ve not noticed a problem in other respects with posts being edited or deleted.

Edit: missing possessive apostrophe. 🙂

Edited by rick_dykstra