My new M11 is bricked... Leica Spain

Antonio Russell

4 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

I usually go to the Vatican and see if I can get the Pope to bless my camera instead of depending on Leica service.

I concur! 😂

well actually the leica service are quite dependable, it’s just sometimes it takes a hell lot of time and rough routes

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve had my M11 since February, and have had freezes in each of the firmware updates. Finally sent an email to Leica CS Germany. Removing the battery and waiting for a minute has been working. Not acceptable for this expensive piece of equipment! Some of the responses have been what it is we the camera owners have been doing? Seriously the responsibility lies with Leica and it’s commitment to its users. We’ll see what happens, sincerely 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, silverimage said:

I’ve had my M11 since February, and have had freezes in each of the firmware updates. Finally sent an email to Leica CS Germany. Removing the battery and waiting for a minute has been working. Not acceptable for this expensive piece of equipment! Some of the responses have been what it is we the camera owners have been doing? Seriously the responsibility lies with Leica and it’s commitment to its users. We’ll see what happens, sincerely 

Maybe you can talk to old Pope, he can put in a good word, he speaks German .

I had the camera from the fist week and was experiencing freezing too, but the firmware have been improving and it has become reliable .
Make sure you describe in details what you where doing so that can reproduce it. I send in a video.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

Maybe you can talk to old Pope, he can put in a good word, he speaks German .

I had the camera from the fist week and was experiencing freezing too, but the firmware have been improving and it has become reliable .
Make sure you describe in details what you where doing so that can reproduce it. I send in a video.

I have shot quite a lot with the M11, experienced occasional freeze too, really wish leica sorted it out through firmware without fatal death, and just glad u felt it is improving to be reliable, hope it would only get better sooner

• Like 2

I initially didn't experience any freezing with the M11 then after a couple of weeks of owning it, I had a number of occasions that required the battery to be popped out and as a result, lost a number of images as being unreadable.

I seen on one of the posts here about locking the card when removing the files from it to my Mac. That seemed to work. I've since started using mainly the internal storage and using "Image Capture" on the Mac to connect and download the images into Capture One Pro. I've never experienced any more freezing events since then.

2 hours ago, IzelPhotography said:

I initially didn't experience any freezing with the M11 then after a couple of weeks of owning it, I had a number of occasions that required the battery to be popped out and as a result, lost a number of images as being unreadable.

I seen on one of the posts here about locking the card when removing the files from it to my Mac. That seemed to work. I've since started using mainly the internal storage and using "Image Capture" on the Mac to connect and download the images into Capture One Pro. I've never experienced any more freezing events since then.

Why would you remove files from SD card when transferring to Mac? Any modification of the SD card by your computer may lead to lockups.

12 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Why would you remove files from SD card when transferring to Mac? Any modification of the SD card by your computer may lead to lockups.

I think I maybe confusing matters here. What I mean is transferring them from card to computer via the SD slot on the MacBook Pro rather than removing them. I delete / Format the SD card in camera. I started locking the SD cards to make sure nothing was change on the card by the MacBook and that stopped the initial spurt of M11 freezing

Edited by IzelPhotography

• 1 month later...

@GDS63 @Antonio Russell Hi, could you provide an update on your new M11? I'm experiencing a lot of freezes with my 4-day old M11 (see my comments in this thread). 

I am going on multiple trips in 2 weeks until the end of the year, so I might not have time to return it and get a new one from my dealer (it's an online dealer, so needs shipping and inspection time). I can endure occasional freezes but I'm worried it might get bricked and I will be without a camera. The biggest factor of getting a M11 for me is the form factor, so I would prefer not to bring my big Canon 5D mark IV backup camera + lenses (and I don't have another M body).

13 hours ago, Qlan said:

@GDS63 @Antonio Russell Hi, could you provide an update on your new M11? I'm experiencing a lot of freezes with my 4-day old M11 (see my comments in this thread). 

I am going on multiple trips in 2 weeks until the end of the year, so I might not have time to return it and get a new one from my dealer (it's an online dealer, so needs shipping and inspection time). I can endure occasional freezes but I'm worried it might get bricked and I will be without a camera. The biggest factor of getting a M11 for me is the form factor, so I would prefer not to bring my big Canon 5D mark IV backup camera + lenses (and I don't have another M body).

To be honest: If you have multiple trips coming up and it is essential to have a camera with you I wouldn't take the M11 with you if the camera freezes quite often. I rather return the camera and get a refund, either get a new M11 when you are back from one of your trips or sit it out till Leica officially do something against those freezes. 

It is too risky to go on trips with a camera that has reliability issues. Bite the bullet and take the 5D camera on your trips. 

I took my M11 on its first trip abroad and it freezed 3 times on me. It was quite annyoing but at least those 3 times were not critical on timing to get important shots.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, R4p70r said:

To be honest: If you have multiple trips coming up and it is essential to have a camera with you I wouldn't take the M11 with you if the camera freezes quite often. I rather return the camera and get a refund, either get a new M11 when you are back from one of your trips or sit it out till Leica officially do something against those freezes. 

It is too risky to go on trips with a camera that has reliability issues. Bite the bullet and take the 5D camera on your trips. 

I took my M11 on its first trip abroad and it freezed 3 times on me. It was quite annyoing but at least those 3 times were not critical on timing to get important shots.

Of course, I know you are right... Fortunately problem solved as one of my friends was kind enough to let me borrow their Fuji X100V. That's good enough of a backup for me (I'm just doing casual travel pictures, nothing near professional).

On 11/8/2022 at 3:32 AM, Qlan said:

Hi, overall the camera has been stable although It does still freeze up ocasionally for apparently no reason, and I have to remove the battery. Had a few shots also where the image comes out totally white. This is my frist Leica digital experience (coming from M4, M6, etc. previously). Digital is not yet as reliable as the old analogue cameras were and certainly, for the money, pretty dissapointing in my experience.

• Like 1