My new M11 is bricked... Leica Spain

Antonio Russell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unfortunately my M11, has become unresponsive after just 30 days. Red LED stays on when you turn on the camera but the display dos not come on and the camera is not responsive... I am obvously very disappointed given the cost of the camera that this should happend. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? I have contacted Leica Spain and they are not helpfull (the suggest sending the camera to Weltzat for 1 month!!). I beleive that if they cannot replace the camera then they should at least provide a refund. 

Edited by Antonio Russell

then unfortunately you need to go back to the dealer and ask them to fix/replace it, depending upon the consumer rights you have in Spain, or the helpfullness of the dealer. Do you have a second battery? Fully charge the batteries and try turning on again. Maybe the shop has one in stock they can test with. I had the situation where I had purchased two M10 batteries long before buying the camera ... and with those batteries, I had something similar to you but it worked with the original battery. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Antonio Russell said:

I am obvously very disappointed given the cost of the camera that this should happend.

instead of trying batteries and sd cards and stuff,and as you say the Leica store in Spain is being weird, simply send it back to Germany, email them first and tell them the whole story, including how the Spanish office is of zero help

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jewl said:

I contacted customer.care@leica-camera.com - The German colleagues have picked it up then

Indeed, I’ve jut been checking and I also have the address you mention and CS3@leica-camera.com and customer.service@leica-camera.com

• Like 1

Depends on you legislation i.e. Spanish law, not German law. I am not specialized in Spanish low (French lawyer) but you should normally have the right to ask for a refund or a replacement. Leica Wetzlar can be of little help as they are not your seller and you did not pay for a repaired camera obviously. I see no problem if Leica Wetzlar offers such a refund or replacement needless to say but they prefer repairs in my experience and i would not accept that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lct said:

Depends on you legislation i.e. Spanish law, not German law. I am not specialized in Spanish low (French lawyer) but you should normally have the right to ask for a refund or a replacement. Leica Wetzlar can be of little help as they are not your seller and you did not pay for a repaired camera obviously. I see no problem if Leica Wetzlar offers such a refund or replacement needless to say but they prefer repairs in my experience and i would not accept that.

Consumer (warranty) law is based on European legislation and more or less similar in all EU countries, safe for The Netherlands, Danmark (and UK), which have adopted an even better warranty legislation (NL: warranty during expected lifetime instead of two years fixed).

By law it is the retailer which is responsible for the warranty, not the factory.

Edited by Gobert
  • Like 1

Have you tried to switch the camera on without SD card? I have exactly the same issue always when I try to use certain types of Lear SD cards in the M11. The problem can occur even when I use one of my Sandisk UHS-II SD cards in my M10 Monochrom and put it in afterwards in the M11 which causes the M11 to freeze. Formatting the card as FAT (MS-DOS) in my iMac before I put it in the M11 helps.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bernd-B said:

Have you tried to switch the camera on without SD card? I have exactly the same issue always when I try to use certain types of Lear SD cards in the M11. The problem can occur even when I use one of my Sandisk UHS-II SD cards in my M10 Monochrom and put it in afterwards in the M11 which causes the M11 to freeze. Formatting the card as FAT (MS-DOS) in my iMac before I put it in the M11 helps.

Yes, I have tried but camera still bricked... It shoudl work with no SD card at all. SD card has the correct format. I have now returned the camera to Leica...

22 minutes ago, Antonio Russell said:

I have now returned the camera to Leica...

That’s the best thing you could have done IMHO. Even if taking out the battery, and/or card. Inserting backwards while reciting specific incantations had worked, I just would feel comfortable that it wouldn’t have a fatal issue somewhere down the line. And it’s probably better and easier to get it changed sooner rather than later.

• Like 2