Leica CL upgrade from 1.0 to 4.1 heat problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, I just upgraded my firmware from 1.0 to 4.1.

Now I notice that the camera is getting hot really quick, has anybody noticed the same issue? (or maybe it's just the temperature is hot recently?)

By the way is there any method to downgrade the firmware? I can't find any previous firmware installation package anywhere.

Thanks!

Every digital camera generates heat which is more noticeable with compactly built designs. However,l never noticed an unusual heat buildup on my CL. If you are on the Northern hemisphere we are experiencing an extremely hot summer which may explain the idea that the camera is more hot than before. 
I  never tried but in general downgrading firmware is not possible on Leicas. 

41 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Every digital camera generates heat which is more noticeable with compactly built designs. However,l never noticed an unusual heat buildup on my CL. If you are on the Northern hemisphere we are experiencing an extremely hot summer which may explain the idea that the camera is more hot than before. 
I  never tried but in general downgrading firmware is not possible on Leicas. 

Thanks for your comment, it’s not abnormal heat, just heap up quickly. I guess the temperature is the reason then.

What are your sleep settings? I have kept mine at default. Every once in a while I notice my Cl to be warm but haven't had a problem with it. The camera made a trip Leica NJ last winter and cameback with firmware 4.0 and the is where I left it. I was out Tuesday for about 1/2 hour, temperature in the upper '80s F, mid 30s C, I was using the camera fairly constantly and didn't notice any excess heat, but I was using a manual focus lens. As I said the camera will feel warm at times but I haven't gone over what conditions.   

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m in NY now it’s indeed quite hot here.

Thanks for all your replies. 

My conclusion from all your replies and my guess is that

1. the temperature is high recently 

2. I have been exploring status screen and menu constantly (for the huge change from 1.0 to 4.1) which resulted to the heating up quickly, but it is not abnormal heat.

3. The system is surely more complex and consumes more energy. But since it’s not causing abnormal heat, I’m okay with it now.

4. I’m not aware that there are background functions working that I can turn off, if there are, can someone give an instruction to turn them off?

If you go through the menu pages check for things like:

"Review" of the image you just shot on LCD - how long does it stay on screen - do you need it at all?

LCD not needing to be on at all

Focus tracking - is this best for what you're shooting, if not go to single focus

Automatic switch off to sleep mode

iDR - do you need it?

Bluetooth - no need unless you're using the FOTOS app and that's so slow that it's not worth it.

If you've not done it recently maybe it's worth setting up a new profile with battery conservation being the goal - and that should also run cooler.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, Le Chef said:

iDR - do you need it?

Bluetooth - no need unless you're using the FOTOS app

Aren’t you mistaking CL for Q2 ?
There is no iDR nor Bluetooth on CL… only plain old WiFi

Edited by nicci78

My CL was already upgraded to v4.1 when I bought it.  I've never noticed it get the slightest bit warm.  I live in a tropical climate.  I do keep the LCD off at all times except for very occasional menu diving (i.e., "EVF Extended" mode), so I'm not sure if the screen is maybe a big heat generator.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 4:39 PM, MJB said:

My CL was already upgraded to v4.1 when I bought it.  I've never noticed it get the slightest bit warm.  I live in a tropical climate.  I do keep the LCD off at all times except for very occasional menu diving (i.e., "EVF Extended" mode), so I'm not sure if the screen is maybe a big heat generator.

Just a few days after posting this, I went for an evening walk with the TL and noticed a slight warmth emanating from the body after 45 minutes or so.  Not objectionable or worrisome, just noticeable.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

When I bought my CL today it came with the half case protector….nice brown leather.

However, I will not be using it…..as Jaap says, all digital creates heat….my CL does create heat with the half case on.

Did not otherwise…..

Here endeth the lesson.

Four of the five CL bodies I've owned over the years got very hot in the area around the flash shoe whenever I used autofocus lenses.  Two of them emanated a bit of a burning smell on particularly hot days (I live in a very hot, humid climate).  With manual focus lenses I didn't notice as much heat.

I'll admit to being spooked at times by the issue; though used in hot, sometimes rainy weather repeatedly, often, and for long periods of time, not one of the CL bodies ever failed me.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 12:25 AM, user001 said:

Hey guys, I just upgraded my firmware from 1.0 to 4.1.

Now I notice that the camera is getting hot really quick, has anybody noticed the same issue? (or maybe it's just the temperature is hot recently?)

By the way is there any method to downgrade the firmware? I can't find any previous firmware installation package anywhere.

Thanks!

Could be the battery overheating if it's getting old or if third party batteries in use.