Leica M11 Firmware Update 1.5.0.1

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, geotrupede said:

Hey, indeed it seems so. But I have also the impression it could be the order in which things happen. The shutter opens earlier than before, that I am sure. But the camera may be operational as before, as if they anticipated the shutter action to give the illusion of a faster start. A little like on MacOSX when the bounces of the opening apps were used to disguise the long startup time... 

BUT maybe it is faster... anyone with a benchmark before/after?

I don't know... If you press the shutter button before start-up, hold it and than turn the camera on, it still need some time to take a photo...
The shutter opens faster than before FW update but the taking a photo process still need a second to execute...
I think it is as you said, it is just an illusion, impression of faster start-up, nothing else...
Anyway it had not become longer after FW update... :D

Nikola

• Like 1

With this firmware update, I am experiencing a change in the user profile designation feature in the menu.  The opening menu and the user profile menu no longer indicate which user profile is currently active like it did before the update.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, moorto said:

With this firmware update, I am experiencing a change in the user profile designation feature in the menu.  The opening menu and the user profile menu no longer indicate which user profile is currently active like it did before the update.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

I can't answer for the M11, but something similar happened with, I think, the SL2-S. I concluded it meant that there had been a change to the firmware coding of one of the settings that makes up the user profile. Try re-saving your profiles, which should embed them with the new firmware coding.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, moorto said:

Yes, I also notice that... I have made some tests and what I can see is that only profile that change, that will not show up as active after power off and on is User profile 2 and perhaps other after him... I don't use more User profiles than 1 and 2 so I don't know. The thing is that User profile 1 and Standard profile have not this problem. Even if I pull the battery out. After start-up they will be shown as active User profile, Standard profile or User profile 1... The User profile 2 will not be indicated inside the menu as active profile... Also the User profile 2 does not show up again when the camera is shut down or even the battery taken out... The Standard and User profile 1 don't have this problem...Someone should try to test this out to confirm it...

Nikola 

Edited by LEGEND

1 hour ago, LEGEND said:

I don't know... If you press the shutter button before start-up, hold it and than turn the camera on, it still need some time to take a photo...
The shutter opens faster than before FW update but the taking a photo process still need a second to execute...
I think it is as you said, it is just an illusion, impression of faster start-up, nothing else...
Anyway it had not become longer after FW update... :D

Nikola

IDK about time to boot and take a shot, but time to boot, open the shutter, and get to LV or the menu seems faster. I would think time to take a shot has been reduced as well, if only slightly, but hopefully someone will test.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

IDK about time to boot and take a shot, but time to boot, open the shutter, and get to LV or the menu seems faster. I would think time to take a shot has been reduced as well, if only slightly, but hopefully someone will test.

Perhaps I am only do tired to notice anything but if this is the case and the camera work faster and better even if just a little bit I am happy to get this with FW update...
When I see something interesting on the street and want to make a photo, until I have the camera in front of my eye most of the time it is enough fast to start-up when I 
flick the power-on switch... Most of the time, some time I mis the moment but it is not the end of the world... Or I can let her on all the time... The battery is large enough...
There is always something else that is interesting to photograph... :D 

Nikola

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, LEGEND said:

Perhaps I am only do tired to notice anything but if this is the case and the camera work faster and better even if just a little bit I am happy to get this with FW update...
When I see something interesting on the street and want to make a photo, until I have the camera in front of my eye most of the time it is enough fast to start-up when I 
flick the power-on switch... Most of the time, some time I mis the moment but it is not the end of the world... Or I can let her on all the time... The battery is large enough...
There is always something else that is interesting to photograph... :D 

Nikola

Latest advice I've read on here is keep LV off and set the camera to never go into power-saving mode. Reportedly battery life still does very well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Latest advice I've read on here is keep LV off and set the camera to never go into power-saving mode. Reportedly battery life still does very well.

Yes, I think this is good idea... Actually I need LV only for checking my histogram for exposure and that goes very fast... Most of the time LV is off...
As I know M11 lose around 10% power when is turned on but not used to shoot or is not in power-saving mode...
I have set my M11 to 5 minutes power-saving but I am used to shut her on and off my self when walking around... It is old habit from other M cameras
that I had before... Perhaps I should try to leave the camera on all the time...
They say to learn a new habit you need only 21 time to repeat something... Must try that out... :D 

Nikola

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I can't answer for the M11, but something similar happened with, I think, the SL2-S. I concluded it meant that there had been a change to the firmware coding of one of the settings that makes up the user profile. Try re-saving your profiles, which should embed them with the new firmware coding.

Yes it's is a known bug with firmware updates to the SL2 & S along with some users of the Q2, it seems like it's now moved over to the M11 as well. As Local Hero says try resaving the profiles again and sometime this fixes it, other times it doesn't I'm afraid. If it doesn't work then try changing something in that Profile (e.g. Auto ISO settings), save and then save again as per the actual original setting you want - this is the backstop position but if that doesn't solve it you then wait until the next firmware release and repeat.

13 minutes ago, SJH said:

Yes it's is a known bug with firmware updates to the SL2 & S along with some users of the Q2, it seems like it's now moved over to the M11 as well. As Local Hero says try resaving the profiles again and sometime this fixes it, other times it doesn't I'm afraid. If it doesn't work then try changing something in that Profile (e.g. Auto ISO settings), save and then save again as per the actual original setting you want - this is the backstop position but if that doesn't solve it you then wait until the next firmware release and repeat.

Ok just to add I've done the update myself now and the earlier posts are correct, this firmware update does have the 'Leica' bug re Profile numbering being removed when starting up the camera, going back to the front screen etc. Curiosly though as observed earlier if you have stored something in Profile 1 it will show the '1' when switching the camera on, going back to the front shortcut menu etc but from Profile 2 it doesn't do this.

I know Leica reads these post so please Leica people could you fix tis across the range of your camera's as it's very frustrating having to check which profile you have loaded time and time gain across my SL2's, Q2's and M11 now!!! It's one of those really annoying things that you see all the time using these great camera's!! If you're busy shooting and moving profiles around it really does mess with your workflow trying to remember where you are and then having to check!!

• Like 1

But the issue with the profile indication was not properly resolved before: It showed up as e.g. Profile 1 but after changing a setting that was relevant to Profile 1 and then change that setting back then one might expect that Profile 1 was shown again. But it never did. So this was befire and still is an annoying issue. It seems that 1 thing is changed and and other bug is built in. 

And another tiny little issue: Why naming the new FW 1.5.0.1 and not 1.4.0.1 or maybe 1.4.1 or else 1.5. This gives the impression as if some juniors were behind it. Or do I simply not understand this excellence in FW-naming?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

But the issue with the profile indication was not properly resolved before: It showed up as e.g. Profile 1 but after changing a setting that was relevant to Profile 1 and then change that setting back then one might expect that Profile 1 was shown again. But it never did. So this was befire and still is an annoying issue. It seems that 1 thing is changed and and other bug is built in. 

And another tiny little issue: Why naming the new FW 1.5.0.1 and not 1.4.0.1 or maybe 1.4.1 or else 1.5. This gives the impression as if some juniors were behind it. Or do I simply not understand this excellence in FW-naming?

I couldn't agree with you more - Leica please fix this!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, geotrupede said:

method, press the shutter release whilst powering on camera. with other hand start timer on iphone. the first image is taken approx after 2.7 - 3 seconds. seems like it is the same as before?

G>

Bit less than 2.5 seconds here.  https://www.online-stopwatch.com

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geotrupede said:

same as me, so not sure. perhaps I have slow reflexes in closing the timer... maybe a video / audio recording can be more precise. will try

g.

You may wish to format your cards with SD Card Formatter too. I used to do tests like this on my M240 a couple years ago and i found shorter startup times when cards were formatted this way. I have no idea if this is the case on the M11 though. So far i find it a bit slower (2.5s) than the M240 (2s) on the average results i got then. 

Edited by lct
  • Like 2