Leica M11 Firmware Update 1.5.0.1

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Small Leica M11 Firmware Update, version 1.5.0.1 has these changes:

• FIXED: Incorrect JPG tone curves in connection with some lenses caused the contrasts in dark areas to be displayed too strong.
  • FIXED: Non-coded lenses were displayed incorrectly in the user profiles.

Download here:

» Leica M11 Firmware & Release Notes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

That's all? Only two minor fix on the JPG tone & non-coded lenses??

Come on Leica~~~

20 minutes ago, LUF Admin said:

Small Leica M11 Firmware Update, version 1.5.0.1 has these changes:

• FIXED: Incorrect JPG tone curves in connection with some lenses caused the contrasts in dark areas to be displayed too strong.
  • FIXED: Non-coded lenses were displayed incorrectly in the user profiles.

Download here:

» Leica M11 Firmware & Release Notes

2 hours ago, AndrewK said:

That's all? Only two minor fix on the JPG tone & non-coded lenses??

Come on Leica~~~

didn't we want more often bug fixes in between new futures?

I see 2 bugs fixes not listed on the list that I had reported in the last few months... thank you

I think there is another one coming end of summer.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb frame-it:

they never mention all the bug fixes for some reason, but there are probably other small fixes in that update as well

You mean it is still useful to go for 1.5.0.1. even though it seems officially that the change is only for non coded lenses and JPG shooters . . 

1 hour ago, M11 for me said:

You mean it is still useful to go for 1.5.0.1. even though it seems officially that the change is only for non coded lenses and JPG shooters . . 

The JPG issue is actually a bigger deal than you might think. I posted about this issue here and got it sent to Leica to investigate. Since the issue affects the in-camera previews with ALL film styles, it affects live view, in turn affecting the exposure judgment of the meter. What was happening is when using wide apertures lenses wide open (with lenses known to have heavy vignetting), the vignetting in the EVF/LCD/JPEGs/DNG-embedded-previews were super dark around the edges, like a binocular/keyhole effect. Lenses like the 28 and 35 Lux were affected, but also other lenses with heavy vignetting such as the CV APOs when shot wide open at f/2.

It was probably an easy fix since it was just bad tone curves they could replace with no negative effect on any other function.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

vor 9 Minuten schrieb hdmesa:

The JPG issue is actually a bigger deal than you might think. I posted about this issue here and got it sent to Leica to investigate. Since the issue affects the in-camera previews with ALL film styles, it affects live view, in turn affecting the exposure judgment of the meter. What was happening is when using wide apertures lenses wide open (with lenses known to have heavy vignetting), the vignetting in the EVF/LCD/JPEGs/DNG-embedded-previews were super dark around the edges, like a binocular/keyhole effect. Lenses like the 28 and 35 Lux were affected, but also other lenses with heavy vignetting such as the CV APOs when shot wide open at f/2.

It was probably an easy fix since it was just bad tone curves they could replace with no negative effect on any other function.

Thank you for you valuable clarification.

• Like 2

Anyone worked out the magic of forcing Fotos app to acknowledge that there’s new FW available? Otherwise it’s a ‘push only’ way of updating, which disempowers the user - whereas doing it the old fashioned way (download to memory card) is ‘pull’ and allows the user to determine when they want to update. 

Big improvement for the SD-based update. After update was complete, camera shuts off. On power-up, everything – and I mean everything – was set as before. No resetting date/time, file naming, user profiles, etc. During the update process, I did choose the option to save user profiles, so maybe it's automatically pulling everything back in from that.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, tashley said:

Anyone worked out the magic of forcing Fotos app to acknowledge that there’s new FW available? Otherwise it’s a ‘push only’ way of updating, which disempowers the user - whereas doing it the old fashioned way (download to memory card) is ‘pull’ and allows the user to determine when they want to update. 

I think it’s just slow. Last time after 24 hours or so Fotos new there was an update and guided you to install it. Just checked now and no sign yet. It tells me there is a Q2 update but I did that by SD card and haven’t connected the camera to Fotos since so it obviously has no way of knowing I’m up to date with my Q2

• Thanks 1

Startup time seems to have been improved – almost a full second faster. Can someone who has timed it before confirm?

Power-off is now immediate to close the shutter and power off. There was a noticeable delay before.

Delay to reopen the shutter at the end of the exposure in single shot feels faster. Will follow up in the thread-specific discussion for confirmation.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Startup time seems to have been improved – almost a full second faster. Can someone who has timed it before confirm?

Power-off is now immediate to close the shutter and power off. There was a noticeable delay before.

Delay to reopen the shutter at the end of the exposure in single shot feels faster. Will follow up in the thread-specific discussion for confirmation.

I also installed this FW 1.5.0.1 with my SD Card.

It needed a few minutes until it finished and then camera shuts off her self and on again. 
I chose to save my settings on SD card when asked and after FW update everything was as before.
Before update I made a photo with my Summilux M 50 Asph. mounted on. It showed vignetting on F1,4...
After Installing FW update I made another photo with Summilux M 50 Asph. set on f1,4 and the vignetting was much less...
I think the FW update improved this issue.  

Also the power-off is now very fast.
As soon you turn off the camera the shutter curtain close and the red LED goes off in a second. 
I can confirm that the delay to reopen the shutter at the end of the exposure in single shot is faster. At least I think it is...
Faster start-up time I can not confirm... Perhaps a very very little faster. I don't know...
Uf course I would love to have start-up time of M11 fast like a SL2 or something similar. Perhaps one day... 
I have set my M11 to save photos on 64GB inside memory because I think this way I get faster start-up time,
faster transfer of photos the the inside memory, faster deleting of photos and less problems with hick ups when I take
series of photos in single shoot mode.

I have made tests with M11 and different SD cards and 64GB inside memory. The post is somewhere on M11 forum...

Nikola

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LEGEND said:

...I can confirm that the delay to reopen the shutter at the end of the exposure in single shot is faster. At least I think it is...

Perhaps a fix of "shutter delay to reopen" across the board has improved many things at once. The firmware boot-up time could remain the same, but if the shutter is now opening faster at the end of the boot-up cycle, that could slightly reduce the time it takes to be ready to shoot. We'll have to see once it's tested versus the old firmware.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Perhaps a fix of "shutter delay to reopen" across the board has improved many things at once. The firmware boot-up time could remain the same, but if the shutter is now opening faster at the end of the boot-up cycle, that could slightly reduce the time it takes to be ready to shoot. We'll have to see once it's tested versus the old firmware.

Yes I also think this is the case... I have a feeling that now I can shoot faster series of photos in single shutter mode as before...
At least nothing has become worse after this FW update and that is a good thing... At least for now... We will see later if some 
problem shows up... I wanted to wait with this FW update and see if there is some problem but I could't because it is to exiting 
to try so I did it anyway... Perhaps it was stupid decision but still... :D

Nikola

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Hey, indeed it seems so. But I have also the impression it could be the order in which things happen. The shutter opens earlier than before, that I am sure. But the camera may be operational as before, as if they anticipated the shutter action to give the illusion of a faster start. A little like on MacOSX when the bounces of the opening apps were used to disguise the long startup time... 

BUT maybe it is faster... anyone with a benchmark before/after?

• Like 2