Printing WITHOUT Lightroom Classic?

SirBlunder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, Dennis said:

Talking about LR CC, I tried it for a while as a primary option, and it didn't work. I don't need (and use) all the LrC features, but LR CC is very limited. I also switched from a 1TB plan to 20GB + Photoshop, and it's perfect. There is a way to sync all your LrC photos into your cloud, using smart preview only and w/o using any cloud space. 
You're not a PRO, but if you want to print and still edit on your LR ecosystem devices and keep everything updated, it's possible. But the system needs LrC as your main catalog.  

Just curious -- specifically where did you run into limitations that were dealbreakers for you?

While I am used to LRC (been using it for ~5 years, have my workflow down to a science, etc.) I still find it clunky and kind of stuck in 2004.

I do actually very much like the LR CC (or whatever you want to call it...) workflow and layout. I've only been using it for a month or so and have had no major problems. I rarely do major edits to my photos. 

1 hour ago, SirBlunder said:

Just curious -- specifically where did you run into limitations that were dealbreakers for you?

Many things, starting from a folder/files system. Many batch actions, smart collections, keywords and metadata control. Option to import from another catalog or export as catalog. With LrC I don't have any limitations.

LR CC is perfect when traveling, on iPad. If it were for me, Adobe can discontinue LR CC. It's Classic on iMac or CC on iPad.

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

I really cannot see what is disorganized about having a post processing workflow. 

I wasn’t considering that I could access the photo directly via the LRCC album. That makes it easier/cleaner 

9 hours ago, Dennis said:

Many things, starting from a folder/files system. Many batch actions, smart collections, keywords and metadata control. Option to import from another catalog or export as catalog. With LrC I don't have any limitations.

LR CC is perfect when traveling, on iPad. If it were for me, Adobe can discontinue LR CC. It's Classic on iMac or CC on iPad.

I’m just setting up an Album system (within folders) with the same naming convention that I used for LRC. Seems to be working OK. 

On 8/2/2022 at 8:19 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

I import my images into LR CC on my laptop, then create a collection from them. If I'm on a good wifi connection, then I will allow that collection to sync to the Adobe cloud. Meanwhile I can do some editing in LR CC, post on social media etc. When I get home, I start up LR Classic on my desktop, where I store all my images and do most of my editing. That collection will now be visible in LR Classic, and I can drag the images from the collection to where I keep all my images on my local had disk. I can then delete the collection, and any images that remain in LR CC on my laptop.

If my wifi while travelling has limited capacity, then I will not permit syncing to the cloud while I'm travelling, but wait till I get home. That is the case more often than not!

I pay for the Adobe Photographers' package of LR Classic, Photoshop and LR CC, but only have the basic 20Gb or so of cloud storage. This is enough for simple transfer of images in the way I describe using the cloud, and I think I'm paying the same as you. I back up locally on an external drive, and also online using a dedicated backup service: Backblaze.

I used to do the same as you and pay for 2Tb Adobe cloud storage, but in the end I found LR CC far too limited and undeveloped for practical use, and I could manage storage and backup better and cheaper outside the Adobe cloud. 

There is a real benefit to using the Adobe Cloud: I do quite a bit of portrait photography, and photography of drama and performance groups. I share collections online with the people I have photographed using Adobe CC, allowing them to download them as jpgs. I can do that within the 20Tb 'free' storage (in fact I'm not sure if sharing collections online counts towards that storage). I also use Adobe Spark for sharing photos with a customised layout and sequencing.

But in your shoes, for the same money, I would rather have LR Classic than 1Tb Adobe cloud storage!

PS — When you say you create a “collection” on LRCC.. is that an album? I’m trying this now.. but the albums I’m creating are not showing up on my LRC on another computer. Both say they’re totally synced and up to date. What am I missing?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, SirBlunder said:

PS — When you say you create a “collection” on LRCC.. is that an album? I’m trying this now.. but the albums I’m creating are not showing up on my LRC on another computer. Both say they’re totally synced and up to date. What am I missing?

Disregard; they showed up a few hours later (even though they both said "Synced" with a checkmark).

PS -- Thinking I'm going to just stick with Lightroom CC. Seems to be working well enough for me. 

8 hours ago, SirBlunder said:

Yes - as I commented earlier, Adobe's daft nomenclature uses different words for the same thing, and I caught myself in the trap when explaining it.