Assistance needed in determining what I have

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As someone who is new to the forum, I tried to post this yesterday, but saw no remnant of it today when I logged in showing that approval from a moderator was pending. Nor did I get an email acknowledging this. So I'm thinking it did not go through somehow, and will resend, just in case. If in fact my original post from 7/31 is pending, please accept my sincere apologies for re-posting/re-sending this. My intention is never to be a nuisance or ruffle any feathers, so to speak.

Hello!

You have a wonderful, very comprehensive website here. I had a couple of questions, if I may. I recently inherited a group of about 25 camera (mainly Leica) books from a family member who recently passed away. Among these were a few items that I have had a LOT of difficulty finding online. I am hoping given your expertise that you might be able to tell me more about these mysteries, and any applicable (even if it's very much a ballpark/approximate) value. These are:

1) I received an old book (complete with clear dust jacket) authored by Francis A. Collins, titled "The Camera Man". I saw several comments online about this book, some even going so far as to call it a book of "historical importance". However, all of them that I found were reprints of the book - and the one I have appears to be a first edition so to speak, with a date of 1919 in it.

2) The New Leica Manual - This is from August, 1951. I have seen numerous listings for a January, 1951 printing, but the August version seems MUCH more uncommon somehow. Was this a short-printed version by chance?

3) I have a Leica Blue Book-Illustrated Price Guide to Collectable Cameras - 1880-1977. I've found several listings for almost the same item, but they ALL say 1880-1978, NOT 1977. Is the one I have a misprint/error version of the book, and much more scarce somehow?

4) A Leica Blue Book as well, with almost the same title, except it says 1839-1980 - Special Silver Issue, and is dated 1979

If anyone is able/willing to shed any light upon what these are, and if they have value (either monetary and/or historical) I would be VERY appreciative. My father was a very avid Leica Screwmount collector for many years, and was enamored with everything Leica. In his memory, I would love to be able to find out what these items actually are that he handed down to me upon his passing.

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,

Greg Cohen

Hi jaapv,

Thank you for letting me know. Understood, and I will not inquire as to any specific valuations. If anyone even happens to know though if these are at all uncommon, or perhaps anywhere that I might be able to find any further reference to them in any fashion, that in itself would be helpful. I always thought I was pretty decent at searching for things on the net, but these items in particular have been puzzling.
**My dad belonged to at least one or two Leica forums back in the day, and always said what a good bunch of people there were. I can see why. Looking at the posts, there seems to be real sense of kinship and understanding. Very nice, particularly nowadays.

• Like 1

Welcome Greg.

As with all forums, the more you put in, the more you'll get out of it.

There are collectors of all sorts here.  You've got some beaut books; always good for browsing in between your forum posts haha.

We look forward to your first images, once you've decided on a camera.  :)

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1