Leica S 007 for Safari

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got an upcoming trip to south Africa and Kruger Park (including Victoria Falls,  Capetown, Robben Island, Johannesburg).  Should be in Africa for about 10 days, with 4 safari drives in Kruger Park and wanted to solicited some final thoughts on use of the Leica S for safari.  

I've read and re-read multiple forum posts regarding gear to take.    I will have a limitation of about 10 lbs of camera gear ( to fit in my carry-on luggage).  

With the weight restrictions, I could pack the S 007 with some combination of the S 30-90, S 70, S 120 or S 180.

Alternatives are the SL 601, SL 90-80, Sigma 16-28, and maybe add the SL 50 1.4,  or CL with the TL 35.

Would appreciate any thoughts from S users (and others) as to which direction to go.  I'm a hobbyist, never been to Africa, and am not quite sure what to expect. I'm told the wildlife will get close to our vehicles at Kruger, and birding is of minor interest.  I've gotten some  very practical thoughts from JaapV,  Michali, Printmaker, and Erlingm, Faithayoglu, ImmerDrausen, Helged, Boojay and a host of others who have generously posted on the other thread.  Decision time is getting near so thought I'd run the question through the S thread for any final thoughts.

Thanks, Rob

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'd get a Nikon or Canon - whichever is best at focus tracking that isn't a Sony - and as long a telephoto as weight allows. Animal eye-tracking is now a thing, but I don't know which models do it well. The TL with 11-23 is a great wide angle weightless combo. For normal focal lengths, anything would do. 

See disclaimer above,

Matt

• Thanks 1

You won't get very far on Safari drives without a long lens. As you have only 4 of those throw a V-Lux in your camera bag. You will only be shooting for your holiday album anyway, serious Safari wildlife photography is a different ball game.  For the rest, just use what you would use at home.

• Thanks 1

I worked in South Africa years ago and did a couple of Safaris with a 6x6 camera. Safari photography is not one thing; it can be landscape, animals in their environment, animal headshots, etc. Choose the camera based on your primary interest. If it is animal close-ups, I would go with Matt’s recommendation of Canon, ie, speed and autofocus. Consider that highest speed Canons are not highest resolution.

Edited by djmay
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jaapv said:

serious Safari wildlife photography is a different ball game.  For the rest, just use what you would use at home.

Agreed.

You'll enjoy the trip more with a lighter bag over your shoulder. Your SL with a couple of zooms will be fine, especially if you are comfortable with that equipment.

One thing that will undoubtedly impress you is the sense of scale, and you lose that with a super-tele.

Don't forget to pack a good pair of binoculars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rob,

my proposal would be (if I remember your gear correctly).

• SL with the Sigma 150 - 600 mm for the game tours
  • S007 with the 30 -90 mm for landscape and Capetown

If there is still space in your bag

• CL with the 35 mm for the evening in the logdes
  • A bean bag to support the tele zoom 
  • A tripod, because a lot of animals come to the water hole at dusk and dawn

There would be no need to change lenses during the trip. The only downside is the need three different batteries.

Enjoy your trip

Andreas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ImmerDraussen said:

Hi Rob,

my proposal would be (if I remember your gear correctly).

• SL with the Sigma 150 - 600 mm for the game tours
  • S007 with the 30 -90 mm for landscape and Capetown

If there is still space in your bag

• CL with the 35 mm for the evening in the logdes
  • A bean bag to support the tele zoom 
  • A tripod, because a lot of animals come to the water hole at dusk and dawn

There would be no need to change lenses during the trip. The only downside is the need three different batteries.

Enjoy your trip

Andreas

Andreas:  Thanks . . . I'm actually leaning in the direction suggested by you (but am inclined to take the SL 90-280 rather than the Sigma, due to size and thinking that 90-150 might be more useful for me).

Regards,

Rob

• Like 2

Just now, Pieter12 said:

Seems like a lot of gear. Would that meet or exceed the OP's 10 lb limit?

It is right on the edge of the weight limitations.  I am going to check.  (I do not want to put any of my lenses in my packed package).  Thanks, Rob

@ropo54 I took the SL601 to Haiti with the 24-90 and some M glass and it did really well.  For wildlife, not much beats the 90-280 (for Leica glass).  I think if you can take the SL you’re in teller shape.  I love the S system and have a hard time not recommending it, but in this case, with weight restrictions and wanting long lens capability, the SL fits the bill.  IMHO.

• Thanks 1

Over New Year 2011/12, I went to SA.  Cape Town, and the safari near Kruger.  I took the S and a few lenses (180, 120, 70, 35).  I also bought a Panasonic with a longer zoom. 

The S2 on Safari was a challenge because of its limited low light capability (the S007 is much better) and limited range. BUT, I got some fantastic shots from that trip. Also, we were in a private game reserve adjacent to Kruger where the rangers were allowed to leave the roads/tracks to get close to the Big Five.  

I think it’s a very personal choice what to take. It very much depends on what type of shots you are after. 

Most importantly, whatever camera you take, take a really good pair of binoculars!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GMB said:

Over New Year 2011/12, I went to SA.  Cape Town, and the safari near Kruger.  I took the S and a few lenses (180, 120, 70, 35).  I also bought a Panasonic with a longer zoom. 

The S2 on Safari was a challenge because of its limited low light capability (the S007 is much better) and limited range. BUT, I got some fantastic shots from that trip. Also, we were in a private game reserve adjacent to Kruger where the rangers were allowed to leave the roads/tracks to get close to the Big Five.  

I think it’s a very personal choice what to take. It very much depends on what type of shots you are after. 

Most importantly, whatever camera you take, take a really good pair of binoculars!

During the safari portion of your trip, what was your most used focal length?  TY. Rob