Jump to content

Image loss after camera freeze


grahamc
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone 

Wondering if anyone has experienced this.  I shot an image today and reviewed it on the screen - I was very happy with it I might add and quite a unique moment that I can't re-shoot  :D.   Didn't think anything of it in terms of any errors as in the review I was able to zoom in etc.  When taking the next image (several minutes later), I pressed the shutter and camera seemed to be frozen.  I was in a hurry but glanced at the screen and saw the image I'd previously taken.  I often make this mistake of forgetting to depress the shutter button to change back to shooting mode.   

Anyway, the camera wouldn't excit playback mode on shutter press.  At this point I should have looked more closely at the image to see if there was any kind of message.  Instead of doing so I switched the camera off and then on again.  It momentarily took longer to shut down than usual, then was ready to shoot the next frames.  After which I realised that the initial image had dissapeared ! 

I've tried 2 data recovery programs today with no luck at all, despite them recovering DNG files from the same SD Card that I am purposefully deleting as tests.

Do you think this is the result of something I did or just very bad luck ?

I'm new to a screened M so it would've been bouncing around on my clothing whilst in playback mode.  But I really think any number of accidental touch-screen menu presses shouldn't permanently delete a file?   I also have no indication that anything like that happened.  All I saw was an image on screen and I couldn't depress the shutter for the next shot.

All seems very odd.   I suppose in there future for anything particularly important the 'protect file' feature is the way to go when reviewing the image.  But I just didn't think.  Haven't experienced any freezing issues previously also.

If there's anything else I can try in terms of recovery then definitely let me know also please.  

Cheers :D

 

Edited by grahamc
Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is some random touch screen pressing against my clothes caused the camera to think / freeze and then the shutdown wiped the image. 
 

seems odd about lack of recovery though considering the image was shot minutes earlier. (5-10).  

Weird ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost photos two times, but only the photos I took while freezing never photos before. But it is known that there are bugs in the firmware, so it does not seem impossible. I would inform Leica about this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, elmars said:

I lost photos two times, but only the photos I took while freezing never photos before. But it is known that there are bugs in the firmware, so it does not seem impossible.

on the M10 or M11?

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, grahamc said:

Comment Deleted.  (On purpose this time)

any ideas or particularly good recovery methods do please shout :)  cheers !

have you considered the possibility that image was never actually saved on the card and was stuck in the buffer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, frame-it said:

have you considered the possibility that image was never actually saved on the card and was stuck in the buffer?

Yes although it’s not something I know much about.  Would it still show the image on screen ?  I zoomed into it to check sharpness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Yes although it’s not something I know much about.  Would it still show the image on screen ?  I zoomed into it to check sharpness.

happened to me once on the SL2S, after shooting stills,  i switched to video, it crashed and the last 2 stills i shot completely  vanished

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, frame-it said:

happened to me once on the SL2S, after shooting stills,  i switched to video, it crashed and the last 2 stills i shot completely  vanished

Bummer.  Thanks for the info 
 

Yes no idea what’s happened i think it must’ve been a very ill-timed crash - maybe from the touch screen rubbing on my clothes 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In case of anyone experiencing the same issue in the future, Leica's response was consistent with @frame-it's suggestion:

"It sounds like the camera froze before the image was stored (completely). I do not know if that was caused by the camera or the card.

I am afraid there are no alternatives for recovering the picture. Especially, since you took new pictures, which may have overwritten any data that was there.
I recommend checking your card for errors and maybe even replacing it.

I have been using “recuva” to recover files. That program has some sort of “deep-scan” or something. But again, with new data written on the card after the image was lost, it may be too late to recover the file."

Helpful of Leica to come back quickly and always very friendly .  Shame about the pic ! 

Edited by grahamc
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, grahamc said:

Wondering if anyone has experienced this.  I shot an image today and reviewed it on the screen - I was very happy with it I might add and quite a unique moment that I can't re-shoot  :D.   Didn't think anything of it in terms of any errors as in the review I was able to zoom in etc.  When taking the next image (several minutes later), I pressed the shutter and camera seemed to be frozen.  I was in a hurry but glanced at the screen and saw the image I'd previously taken.  I often make this mistake of forgetting to depress the shutter button to change back to shooting mode.   

Anyway, the camera wouldn't excit playback mode on shutter press.  At this point I should have looked more closely at the image to see if there was any kind of message.  Instead of doing so I switched the camera off and then on again.  It momentarily took longer to shut down than usual, then was ready to shoot the next frames.  After which I realised that the initial image had dissapeared !

Hi Graham,

It sounds like you hit a bad sector on your card (which is why the camera was taking forever to write to it) and there's a good chance it could happen again. My suggestion is to download SD Cardformatter and do a complete (long) format of the card and then insert card in camera and format so it has Leica's file structure before you start shooting with it. I shot the M10-P forever and never had a problem with it randomly doing stuff because it was bumping against my clothes so I don't think that's the issue.

Regarding forgetting to turn off image review before your next shot, I think there's an option to have the  image review on for just a few seconds and also on for as long as the shutter is half pressed? I personally don't use image review except at the beginning of a shoot to check exposure so I'm a bit rusty on the options available.

Anywhoo, the M10-P is such an awesome camera - I made over 20k images with it before switching to the M11 and it never missed a beat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...