Epson Printer Use in Europe

Portugal uses the type F and the older type C wall outlets, certainly you can connect your printer via an easy to get adapter to these, however, voltage is 230V, which will kill your 110V printer. You need a step down transformer therefore, changing the voltage from 230 down to 110V.

• Like 1

Any generic one will work. Take care however that the voltage in Europe has increased from 220 to 230/240 V. some time ago. So you need to buy a fairly recent type as it will otherwise produce 120 V which might wear your printer out sooner. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This Epson 3880 printer has a power consumption of 25W according to its data sheet, so a small step down converter will suffice, e.g.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/304091194103?hash=item46cd3f62f7:g:negAAOSwv11hbupP

You just have to find one with a plug for Portugal, should be not too difficult.

Edited by AndreasG
  • Like 1

I don't think you will need anything too complicated. I moved to Iceland with a 3800 back in the day and I believe I just changed the power cord. But it has been awhile, so just double check. But I am pretty sure you will not need a power transformer.

In the specs it lists the following: Input voltage range 90-264V. This suggests that you only need to change your plug. If it says the same on the back of your printer, then you are good. You can also just take a picture of the power label on the back of your printer, and that will tell us the story, as it is legally required to show that info.

Just because there are different versions for different countries, does not mean that one from another country will not work. Manufacturers sell them in different boxes with different plugs etc, but most manufacturers sell computer equipment with worldwide voltage capabilities, so they do not need to manufacture different models for each country.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Stuart Richardson

Certainly check the back of the printer, but this may be something where the 3880 differs from the 3800. The equivalent page in the 3880 manual splits the electrical specs between the models:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!