1931 Chrome Elmar

ELW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I'm trying to find a bit more information about a lens I have here which appears to be a 1931 Chrome Elmar marked 50mm with:

• scale in meters,
  • 3.5-4.5-6.3-9-12.5-18 aperture markings (on front and hyperfocal markers),
  • 7 o'clock lock with a domed concentric button,
  • 'o' mark next to focusing tab,
  • '6' under focusing tab,
  • and a serial number of '122531'.

Having read a couple of lists of serial numbers this seems to make it a 1931 model which is fair enough, but I was under the understanding these lenses were meant to be Nickel plated? This looks like a normal silver coloured plating with a light 'brushed' effect. 

My question is; were chrome lenses made at the same time as the nickel through the 1931 year or is it possibly a mish-mash of parts sort of thing where maybe this lens has been repaired with parts from an older lens and they've used that ring, or a nickel lens has been re-barrelled in this chrome body with the original serial number? 

-OR-

Am I reading the serial number wrong and it's actually '422531' or something? Attached a few pics for reference.

The lens isn't mine, I'm selling it on the behalf of someone, and would like to get them a fair price if it is anything of interest. I suppose the early-ness of it is pretty cool! Otherwise it's a very normal example with stiff focusing and aperture control, hazy glass, scratched front, etc... but cosmetically okay.

TIA!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you for confirming! 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:37 PM, alan mcfall said:

Most likely, if some parts are chrome plated, it was done after initial production in all nickel.

Just to clarify you mean it was made as a chrome lens or it was modified after the fact? There doesn't look to be an ounce of nickel on it.