Lens Detection

Vinslau

It does detect the lens properly as far as framelines go.  That’s a mechanical function of a cam on the lens and the rangefinder assembly in the camera.  If you want exif data in your files, you can set that in the lens detection menu however you’d like.  Just understand that this also applies software corrections for distortion, color cast, and such to your raw files and jpgs.  Most raw editors will not let you retroactively disable this either.  It’s best if you experiment with a few shots with different lens profiles to see what you prefer.  Since the closet analog to the Voigtlander 50 APO would be the Leica 50 APO, I’d say pick that but I don’t think it’s available in the lens detection menu.  

On 7/30/2022 at 6:51 PM, Vinslau said:

Hello,  New to Leica and this forum. I just bought a nice used M10 black chrome which I love. I got a new Voigtlander 50 f2 APO Lanthar to go with it. How do I pair the lens to that it detects the lens properly? Like I said new to Leica. Any helpful information will be much appreciated.

FYI...the in-camera database lists Leica lenses only.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Only Leica lens have the 6 bit coding for the camera to detect.

However, most newer Voigtlander lenses have flange grooves that can be coded to match compatible Leica lenses. There are many threads in this forum that will guide you.

This mans that a Voigtlander 50 APO can be coded as a Leica 50 APO.

See these threads.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/313654-6-bit-coding-on-the-cheap/

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/185433-m-lens-codes/

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

I had mine coded - probably not really necessary, but nice to have the data in the EXIF. Also, I think the SL2(s) use that information to activate image stabilisation. Make sure you take the correct code. There were some wrong ones floating around. Best is to check flange photo of an actual 50 APO Summicron from Leica.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:51 PM, Vinslau said:

Hello,  New to Leica and this forum. I just bought a nice used M10 black chrome which I love. I got a new Voigtlander 50 f2 APO Lanthar to go with it. How do I pair the lens to that it detects the lens properly? Like I said new to Leica. Any helpful information will be much appreciated.

What I do for my M10 M& R is set the Lens Detection to OFF in the menu. I then use the lens profile correction setting for my RAW files in Adobe Camera Raw (or Lightroom) for the Voigtlander "VM" APO-Lanthar 50mm F2. Now, if you rely on Jpegs for your final product then coding may be the best solution. But remember the code is for a different Leica lens, so things are not ever going to be quite right.

Edited by goodbokeh
typo