I got a deal on trading my M10 for the new M11.. here are the details.. your thoughts appreciated..

MyLeicaWorld

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At one of the Leica stores at Europe I got a deal on trading my m10 for m11..

I will give my black m10 which is 4 years old .. also will give 3 batteries, the evf, the leather oem m10 case, the oem thumbrest and the oem handgrip plus my more than 10 years old silver chrome summicron 35asph v1 lens.. and after getting the tax back I will be paying 2000 euros on the trade… by the way they are all in very good condition and working with no problem..

so what do you think about this deal? I know some will say it depends on how much do you use your 35mm summicron and some will say do you really need 60 megapixels.. 

when I look at my photographic style I saw that I usually shot with my superelmar 21 .. the summicron sits in my bag… you know I always had trouble focusing at f2 with my 35 summicron and that makes me really insane.. no problem at other apertures  I also take the portraits with superelmar.. for the low light photography I am thinking of the low light capabilities at higher ISOs of m11 will help me with shooting the superelmar 21.. 

so what are your opinions? Should I do trade immediately or should I wait and try to sell them myself (it will take too much time and I think Leica store gave a good deal) 

I really appreciate hearing your valuable thoughts.. thank you..

Edited by MyLeicaWorld

There is no real point, good or otherwise on commenting on your deal. You made the deal with the dealer and if you’re happy with it then who are we to say yea or nay.

Personally, I have no idea on the deal, whether it is a good or bad deal.

Edited by OThomas

It seems fair enough for a store, but it's not a notably good deal in my mind - you could likely do better yourself selling things, but it might not be worth your time. Then again, if you have no use for the 35 and don't want to fuss about selling it yourself, it might very much be worth the convenience. I've owned a black M10 for 5 years but have little interest in the M11 so this is not a deal I would personally take. 

• Like 1

Separate issues: fair market value of your gear; private vs dealer sale; and, personal benefits/value of the trade for your photographic goals and needs.  Only the first is mostly objective, based on recent sales transactions, while the last two only you can evaluate.

If I were similarly inclined, I would submit a trade assessment to a trustworthy dealer like Leica Miami, which provides 80% of assessed FMV to the seller for trade (70% for outright sale).  Their commitment follows a thorough assessment of the used gear, including condition, papers, etc. These percentages are not uncommon here, maybe even on the high side.  The rest would be up to me.

Jeff

• Like 1

either way it is entirely up to you, my usual case is, i would wait till i really need the m11, if i think it is the right time, i'd contact my fren who happened to be a good local dealer and ask if i could trade in such and how much i need to top up

selling privately sometimes taking more time and with a price you set, probably taking even longer.. the dealer have more network to distribute their sales, besides the price aint that much of a different which u can live with

so it came down, how much are you willing to top up

considering the m11 iso, i think the m10 is just as good, when i saw someone's example, i conclude probably only at very high iso that images might differ due to colour banding, for everything else it is indistinguishable 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have concerns about the M11's lack of EFCS. I suspect the always operating double action first curtain mechanical shutter causes shutter shock in certain circumstances with 75 & 90mm lenses. To my knowledge the issue has not been addressed by any reputable testing source or Leica itself, just dubious fanboys denying it exists. However, if you don't have those concerns and like the M11, the dealer deal seems OK to me.

It seems like a fair deal coming from a Leica Store considering it’s « only » a M10 + the 35mm. To get a store exposed M10 Monochrome I had to trade a M262, 28mm Summilux and 28mm Elmarit and give 1135€ in 2021. Leica Store in France. I gave plenty of accessories with it (filters, battery, case, etc…) but it seems it doesn’t count in the deal, so I would sell accessories separately.

On the high ISO concern, M10R is a better choice than the M11 but I believe it will be better than your M10.

If you are primarily shooting with a 21 and need some occasional low light, why you would want to get a M11? Why not just get a Voigtlander 21 Nokton f/1.4 as an additional lens?

Also if you find focusing at wide apertures difficult, or finding it hard to frame wide angle photos accurately, consider a Visoflex 2.

Edited by rramesh

8 hours ago, rramesh said:

If you are primarily shooting with a 21 and need some occasional low light, why you would want to get a M11? Why not just get a Voigtlander 21 Nokton f/1.4 as an additional lens?

Also if you find focusing at wide apertures difficult, or finding it hard to frame wide angle photos accurately, consider a Visoflex 2.

I tried the evf on m10 and I got it .. but saw that it is not for me .. better get a Q2… 21 nokton gonna be too big .. will stay on with 21 superelmar ..

15 hours ago, Olivier76 said:

It seems like a fair deal coming from a Leica Store considering it’s « only » a M10 + the 35mm. To get a store exposed M10 Monochrome I had to trade a M262, 28mm Summilux and 28mm Elmarit and give 1135€ in 2021. Leica Store in France. I gave plenty of accessories with it (filters, battery, case, etc…) but it seems it doesn’t count in the deal, so I would sell accessories separately.

On the high ISO concern, M10R is a better choice than the M11 but I believe it will be better than your M10.

Also I think the same .. the deal is good .. m10r will not be an upgrade for me since getting a new series of will feel like a real upgrade.. I have to see some shots taken at higher ISOs of M11 before buying it ..

• Like 1

I traded in my well used  but cared for M10 for a black paint M10-R last fall. Dealer gave me $3400 in trade, which seems on the low side, but once you figure in eBay/paypal fees, and the fact that in our state one doesn't pay the 10% sales tax on the trade part, it was a deal worth it to me not to have deal with private selling (I also traded a 35 Lux asph pre-FLE for $2400, which I paid about $1300 decades ago and was my least used lens). All depends on what your time is worth and your needs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MyLeicaWorld said:

Also I think the same .. the deal is good .. m10r will not be an upgrade for me since getting a new series of will feel like a real upgrade.. I have to see some shots taken at higher ISOs of M11 before buying it ..

Reid’s review have thorough studio comparison iso

look at the cost of similar used items and make the difference. 

M10 approx 3700 pounds

the 35 approx 2000 pounds

5700 in total

vs 7600, so about 2000 pounds difference.

I do not think is a bad deal. but the fact is, you give away a working combo for receiving a camera alone... and the lens value always increases so not sure on the long term. 

G>

• Like 2