Why???

TEBnewyork

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The title to the M8 forum reads

"This forum is dedicated to everything around the Leica M8"

Are pictures from the M8 somehow not part of "everything around the M8"? I like the Leica Users Forum simply because everything about the M8 is covered in one place. Moving threads dealing with pictures from the M8 to different places makes using the site much less desireable, at least to me. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I just don't see the point.

Terry

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The photo forum is for posting photographs, although photographs can be posted in other forums to illustrate technical points.

This was a division that as far as I can recall was accepted by all, and everyone was able to adhere to, until the arrival of the M8. What it is about the M8 that causes people to want their own little ghetto is beyond me.

If you feel it necessary to identify M8 shots perhaps photographs posted in the photo forum should be preceded with M8 in the title. Something that I for one will not be doing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you feel it necessary to identify M8 shots perhaps photographs posted in the photo forum should be preceded with M8 in the title. Something that I for one will not be doing.

I think I will label my M8 shots in the photo forum :)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/33957-m8-photo.html#post355290

Agree with Bill. That's what I've done in the past.

Also, many of the pix posted in the M8 forum actually illustrate the differing performance of M lenses. This would be useful to Leica film users as well, who tend not to dwell on the M8 sub-forum.

The title to the M8 forum reads

"This forum is dedicated to everything around the Leica M8"

Are pictures from the M8 somehow not part of "everything around the M8"? I like the Leica Users Forum simply because everything about the M8 is covered in one place. Moving threads dealing with pictures from the M8 to different places makes using the site much less desireable, at least to me. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I just don't see the point.

Terry

I like it as it is. We can post pictures from the M8 if to explain something related with the M8.

When it is to show the image, with no special importance given to the tool, then we should use the photo forum.

What I do not understand so well is what is the "Customer Forum".

Agree with Bill. That's what I've done in the past.

Also, many of the pix posted in the M8 forum actually illustrate the differing performance of M lenses. This would be useful to Leica film users as well, who tend not to dwell on the M8 sub-forum.

Film users may not consider the use of an M8 to illustrate performance a good example when using film.

When the forum was set up, it was simple.

As admin stated elsewhere so it is probably a matter of space and bandwidth etc.

photos go to the photo forum please.

The M8 forum stays for technical topics please.

I moved the thread already before the forum crash we had, please leave all images here in the photo forums.

Firdstly, I plead guilty to recently posting a couple of images (last night) in a thread on "M8 Portraits" since it was already running, in the the M8 sub-section.

Secondly, conversely to some others, I find wading through endless images of no apparent connection to a thread topic I am reading for its technical and other knowledge a sheer wast of my time. If and when I want to look at pictures, the picture galleries are there. The occassional image, that constructively and clearly demonstrates a technical point, that could not easily be explained otherwise is fine. Just reduce the volume of sometimes pointless images in the M8 forum, which is primarily a learning and advising space, not a gallery space. Including a link to a posted pic in one of the photo galleries is pretty easy and allows for concentrated browsing of a threads without being slowed by a plethora of images. Yes, some people are still restricted to dial up connections for various reasons. This concept would help them enjoy the info we disseminate, most of the time.

I have been thinking of this topic because I started the "M8 Portraits" thread refererenced above that was moved today. It ticked me off that it was moved. I understand the thinking behind having photos in the photo gallery and leaving this for M8 technical questions. At the same time, the "Leica M8 Forum" has become, for me, "the Leica Forum." That is, this is the subforum I have bookmarked, the community of forum members here are, for the most part, here because they use the M8 daily.

That a lovely thread, with real energy, was started here -- the M8 Landscapes thread -- was great fun. It deserved to be here, because dozens of M8 forum members who do not ordinarily spend time in the photo forum posted shots. This was the impetus for the portraits thread I started this morning. Both were moved.

Again, I understand why the rules are what they are, and why a moderator moved them. But it struck me than, as now, as completely overliteral, and a killjoy. Terry's question at the beginning of this thread seems completely appropriate. Let's hope this thread doesn't get moved somewhere "because it isn't about M8 technical questions." Cheers, JB

i think many users of the m8 who migrated from other types of photography (slr) can benefit from "wading" through some of the excellent images in the photo forums and in turn pick up more of what makes rangefinder photography, analogue and digital, special.

John, I think it is commendable that you post images and encourage others to join in. I know it got me involved. What I think needs to be appreciated is that lumping everything and/or anything to do with the M8 into one conclave runs the risk of polarizing the forum. It could easily turn into a "them & Us" situation. ie. film V's digital. By channeling (most) image posts to the designated section keeps a healthy overlap of film & digital Leica users. I do know that computers encourage us to be lazy, but bookmarking an extra section is not a chore.

My opinion is that the majority of M8 users who funnel themselves directly and exclusively into the 'M8 Forum' sub-section (myself included) are in danger of cutting themselves off from the real world of imaging by not exposing themselves to the results of other photographers work after immersing themselves in technical 'mumbo jumbo.' Please note, that was opinion, not a statement of known fact.:)

Anyway, as a moderator, I too have to abide by the Admin's ruling whch I respect, and with which I just happen to agree

I like the Leica Users Forum simply because everything about the M8 is covered in one place. Moving threads dealing with pictures from the M8 to different places makes using the site much less desireable, at least to me. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I just don't see the point.

I couldn't agree more... But then it isn't my site :)