Summicron-M 50mm versions: Leica vs Other

hmzimelka

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all.

Something recently struck me as a little odd when registering my new Summicron-M 50mm 11826, is that I thought it was the Version 5... but Leica seems to classify it as version 4 (IV)

Anybody know why the lens known as version 5 is classified as version 4 by Leica?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would not worry for the name of version.

• depending on criterias of numbering, optical cell or whatever
  • many Leitz or Leica lenses are designed by order number which is more precise than versions

( as here ...Leica Order No. - 11819-black, 11826-black, 11825-silver, 11816-silver, 11624-titan, 11619-silver (S), 11615-silver-50yr

from Wiki

• version IV (same optical cell) began life in 1978 a while back with so many "order numbers" since then
  • Thanks 1

There were 4 optical versions of the 50 Summicron, so in that sense the latest is version 4. However, the mechanical mount was changed during its production to the current "built-in hood" style, so many call this version 5, even though the optics didn't change.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hmzimelka said:

Anybody know why the lens known as version 5 is classified as version 4 by Leica?

As mentioned above, 4th optical version and 5th commercial one. May i ask where you found that "IV" classification? I don't recall having seen it in Leica's documentation.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lct said:

As mentioned above, 4th optical version and 5th commercial one. May i ask where you found that "IV" classification? I don't recall having seen it in Leica's documentation.

The screenshot above came from the Leica page where my registered products are listed. http://club.leica-camera.com

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

There were 4 optical versions of the 50 Summicron, so in that sense the latest is version 4. However, the mechanical mount was changed during its production to the current "built-in hood" style, so many call this version 5, even though the optics didn't change.

Thanks!

Yeah, ok. This is making some sense now with regard to optical design being the same, hence V4 naming.

This is what searching for 11826 and 11819 on club.leica-camera.com returns...

• 2 weeks later...

For a bit of trivia, here is a link to Erwin Puts’ page on the 50 Jahre Special Edition, with Version IV optics, that bears some external resemblance to the earlier Rigid. To be clear, the 50 Jahre part refers to the fiftieth year of the 50mm Summicron lens. I really like the aesthetics and ergonomics of this one.

https://photo.imx.nl/leica/lenses/lenses/page92.html

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, kivis said:

I think the tolerance and ergonomics a bit better on the V5, but you can't go wrong with either one

Tolerance of my German made v4 looks identical to my v5 i must say. Also it has a focus tab and is significantly more compact. It has no built-in hood though and was not natively 6-bit coded. Matter of taste but i agree that one can go wrong with neither. Here Canada made v4 and v5.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lct said:

...(the) v4...has a focus tab and is significantly more compact. It has no built-in hood though...

When I was assessing the v4 / v5 models I preferred the smaller form of the v4 and, with a 12585 hood fitted, found there to be less vf blockage than the v5 with hood extended. The v5 is also 25% heavier than the v4.

But yes; all said and done it really does come down simply to individual preferences and either one will be a stellar performer.

Philip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pippy said:

When I was assessing the v4 / v5 models I preferred the smaller form of the v4 and, with a 12585 hood fitted, found there to be less vf blockage than the v5 with hood extended. The v5 is also 25% heavier than the v4.

Did you count hoods in your calculation? Just curious as last time i checked i got 235g for v5 and 215g for v4 + 12585 hood. 20g difference would make v5 10% heavier more or less. No big deal but my favorite version w/o hood is the bare v4 (200g?), especially the German variant whose coatings look identical to v5's.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lct said:

Did you count hoods in your calculation? Just curious as last time i checked i got 235g for v5 and 215g for v4 + 12585 hood. 20g difference would make v5 10% heavier more or less. No big deal but my favorite version w/o hood is the bare v4 (200g?), especially the German variant whose coatings look identical to v5's.

My M mount V is 241g and my LTM V is 325g. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

No, lct, the 12585 wasn't included in my calculation so I agree that my percentage was unfair. My Fault!

Philip.

• Haha 1