35mm f2.4 Summarit?

Ba Erv

24 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

I’m not worried about the seller.  I just bought extra batteries and a Visoflex 020 from the same guy.  My only real concern was not knowing the attributes of this lens.  The idea is to actually use the lens instead of my 35 FLE.  I’m crossing the Mekong into Laos in a few days and going by boat north to China over several weeks.  Trying to minimize everything I have to carry.  The FLE is fine but every time I put it on my M I end up attaching the grip to balance the weight; then I’m up 200 grams over the Summarit or Ultron.  This is not my first rodeo and I know what a small difference can make in adverse conditions.  

Well, you know the weight difference already, and it’s a fine lens like most any modern Leica lens. 

Jeff

For a collector, some criteria for buying a lens or camera would be condition, rarity, perceived value, likely appreciation, provenance etc. 

For most others, like me, it’s all about usefulness, condition and value for money. 

For $1k or under, the Summarit 35 f/2.4 in good condition would be a great buy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ba Erv said:

Many thanks for the valuable opinions.

My opinions are already in the thread I linked earlier.  The 35 Summarit outperforms my 35 Summicron ASPH in at least two respects...less tendency to flare and focus shift.  Erwin Puts loved the lens.  There are many other related forum discussions. The weight, size and aperture differences are obvious compared to your FLE; the price is great; you trust your seller; and the performance is on par with modern Leica glass (I don't know of a dud).  The rest is handling, ergonomics, etc, which as I said earlier is  best determined by actual use.  Worst case, sell it without loss. 

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I am still bummed that I missed out on getting one of the 75mm f/2.4 Summarits.  

Not to make you feel worse, but it is a very nice lens. 

They pop up for sale occasionally, I'm sure you can track one down.  

11 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Leica abruptly discontinued the Summarit line, which was/is universally lamented by M camera users.

I am still bummed that I missed out on getting one of the 75mm f/2.4 Summarits.  😢

You can still get one - new! - at Digital photo Graz - Austria! I got mine 3 weeks ago, when I pick up new 35 APO. The price for 75/2.4 Summarit was reduced from 1950€ to 1590€, and I couldn't resist! Remind, € is on the lower end right now! They distribute worldwide!

13 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Not to make you feel worse, but it is a very nice lens. 

They pop up for sale occasionally, I'm sure you can track one down.  

It is (I have the 2.5 version). The 35 and 50 Summarits are thin on the ground though, the 75 can be found and the 90 is currently underappreciated and available at lowish (for Leica) prices but I expect this will soon change. Buy now if you want any!

4 hours ago, pgk said:

The 35 and 50 Summarits are thin on the ground though

And when they do show up they seem to sell super fast.  I was going to post about a 50/2.4 that came up for sale at my local Leica Store but it sold before I had a chance. 

Besides checking around, one can request a call from a good dealer for desired products. I called Josh at Leica Miami years ago looking for a mint used M Monochrom, and he called 3 days later when one unexpectedly arrived back from Germany.  

Jeff