35mm f2.4 Summarit?

Ba Erv

Summarit lenses are not bad at all! They are thack sharp, easy to focus, but with somehow less elaborated extra features, so characteristic for Leica lenses (bokeh, "3D look", etc). Technical characteristic are well and fair explained in added instructions. Three weeks ago, when I picked up my APO 35, my dealer also had two Summarits 75/2.4, and I couldn't give up not to take one, especially because price was lowered. They were originaly packed, and price was 20% off. I'm very pleased with purchase!

• Like 1

Great price, esp for the 2.4 version. I picked up the 2.5 version (w/hood!) last year for about the same. I don't use 35 much (traded my 35 asph summilux towards my M10-R black paint) so the 'inexpensive' Summarit was a great addition to the line up in case of need. The only drawback to the lens is the 1m vs .7m close focus. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

27 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The only drawback to the lens is the 1m vs .7m close focus.

Hello Charles,

Are you certain for 1m MFD for your Summarit-M 35mm ?

my Summarit-M 2.5/35mm has a MFD of 80cm, so only 10cm less than the other 35mm (well I don't talk about the nice pre-asph. Summilux-M ! )

The primary reason I was considering this lens is to shed some weight off my 35mm FLE.  The VM Ultron 35mm f2 was another option being about $300 cheaper over the Summarit.  I’ve been traveling afoot quite a lot and weight has become an obsession for me.  

18 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

The primary reason I was considering this lens is to shed some weight off my 35mm FLE.  The VM Ultron 35mm f2 was another option being about $300 cheaper over the Summarit.  I’ve been traveling afoot quite a lot and weight has become an obsession for me.  

There are plenty of discussions here on the 35 Ultron and Summarit lenses. Comes down to your preferences.  For me, a demo tells the story, not just specs.

Jeff

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

There are plenty of discussions here on the 35 Ultron and Summarit lenses. Comes down to your preferences.  For me, a demo tells the story, not just specs.

Jeff

I have the Ultron 35 so I’m familiar with it but left it home and only brought the 35 FLE.  Logistics prevent me from demoing the Summarit beforehand.  I’ve got pics of the lens but that’s it.  

3 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

I have the Ultron 35 so I’m familiar with it but left it home and only brought the 35 FLE.  Logistics prevent me from demoing the Summarit beforehand.  I’ve got pics of the lens but that’s it.  

Does the seller have a return policy? If not, assuming there’s nothing wrong with the lens, you could easily sell it if not happy.  Sometimes a ‘demo’ involves a purchase.

Jeff

28 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Does the seller have a return policy? If not, assuming there’s nothing wrong with the lens, you could easily sell it if not happy.  Sometimes a ‘demo’ involves a purchase.

Jeff

Returning it would be impractical so I’m all in if I pull the trigger…unless I sell it later. 

7 hours ago, Ba Erv said:

Returning it would be impractical so I’m all in if I pull the trigger…unless I sell it later. 

I don't think you're taking much risk at $1000, should be easy to resell.

Not an exact comparison, but a local Leica dealer just advertised a 50/2.4 for $1395 and it was gone in a flash. 

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Right, if there’s nothing wrong with it (post #15).  We have no information about seller.

Jeff

I’m not worried about the seller.  I just bought extra batteries and a Visoflex 020 from the same guy.  My only real concern was not knowing the attributes of this lens.  The idea is to actually use the lens instead of my 35 FLE.  I’m crossing the Mekong into Laos in a few days and going by boat north to China over several weeks.  Trying to minimize everything I have to carry.  The FLE is fine but every time I put it on my M I end up attaching the grip to balance the weight; then I’m up 200 grams over the Summarit or Ultron.  This is not my first rodeo and I know what a small difference can make in adverse conditions.  

• Haha 1