Connect M11 to PC or Mac via USB-C

trippalhealicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, jakontil said:

Hi gordon, are you saying that if formatted in exFAT, it is writable and readable on both windows and mac os? It could be useful for external drive backup since i still run on windows and ipad for now, and might add macbook soon 

Yes. I have been swapping external drives between Mac and Windows for years (I use both systems). exFAT allows you to have read/write permissions on either with no issues. If you have something older (like NTFS) you can get a third party program for Mac to write.

Almost all new external drives you can buy are pre-formatted exFAT.

As an aside, I changed my primary laptop to a 14" MBP about three months ago. My last MBP was from 2011. I kept and am still using my Mac pro though. Although I do miss having a touchscreen/stylus on the MBP the speed, especially on battery, for common photo tasks is staggering. My i9 Asus with dedicated graphics, gets close when plugged in but on battery there is simply no comparison. The Windows machine is far behind in both speed and battery life. *If you're wondering whether a MacBook Pro is worth a look*.

Gordon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SrMi said:

There is a saying: life is too short to remove USB drive safely :).

AFAIK, and all the information I can find online, exFAT drives also need to be safely ejected if OS writes to them. If you plug it out while data is being written, the data may become corrupted.

Windows 10 has introduced the "Quick Removal" option (must be set in preferences), which does not cache disk write operation. With that option set (default?), write access is slower but more predictable.

Macs do not have that option.

Note that even when just copying data, there may be write-accesses to the SD card.

Absolutely. If you pull a drive while it's writing it'll probably corrupt.

I've been pulling drives on Windows for years. It has a much better progress bar than Mac. When the progress bar closes it's safe to pull a drive. Also if I don't eject a drive on Mac I can plug it into my Windows machine just fine and only when I plug it into the Mac will I need to run it through Disk Utility to *repair* it. Windows never asks for this unless it actually needs a repair.

I don't know of any wndows user who ejects drives. We wait. We pull.

Gordon

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Yes. I have been swapping external drives between Mac and Windows for years (I use both systems). exFAT allows you to have read/write permissions on either with no issues. If you have something older (like NTFS) you can get a third party program for Mac to write.

Almost all new external drives you can buy are pre-formatted exFAT.

As an aside, I changed my primary laptop to a 14" MBP about three months ago. My last MBP was from 2011. I kept and am still using my Mac pro though. Although I do miss having a touchscreen/stylus on the MBP the speed, especially on battery, for common photo tasks is staggering. My i9 Asus with dedicated graphics, gets close when plugged in but on battery there is simply no comparison. The Windows machine is far behind in both speed and battery life. *If you're wondering whether a MacBook Pro is worth a look*.

Gordon

Thanks and quite interesting.. i will take note on the exFAT 

• 1 month later...

I have just tried PTP with Win11 and Lightroom. I am able to import the files, but for some reason LR didn't recognized all previously imported photos (even though I have option New Photos checked). All files are checked and none are grayed out. I had to manually uncheck them all and select the new photo.
If you see the import menu LR thinks there are 62 new files while in fact it is only 1.

EDIT: Once the single (last) photo was added through USB-C that photo became known to LR it is already on the disk. Other old photos still seem to be new for LR.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mirekti

• 1 year later...