Best 50mm match for 35mm Lux Asph

yanidel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I upgraded from a M9P to a M10 about a month ago and overall I love it, no regrets, this is a way better camera. Nevertheless I didn't expect such a change in the frame lines with the new 2 meters optimization. I shot years with the 35mm Lux Asph pre FLE and 60mm Konica Hexanon. I thought it was a combo that matched perfectly. Yet I am struggling with the M10 frame lines and the 60mm Hexanon. On the M9P,  the 50mm frame lines matched almost perfectly the 60mm. Yet now on the M10,  I must mentally picture frame lines between the 50mm and 75mm to get the correct framing. Feasible but not ideal. So I have been using the 50mm Summicron v4 which I has surprised me very positively, very balanced on the M10 in terms of ergonomics, but also great rendering.

I was wondering for those who have experience with the 35mm Lux Asph, which of the 50mm has in your opinion the most similar rendering in terms of color, contrast, bokeh, and also wide open ? Lux Asph, Pre-Lux Asph, other brands, or stick to the Cron? 

The M9 is the outlier with 1m frame line optimization.  I far prefer 2m, but that’s based on my typical shooting distances using 28/35/50 mm lenses.

Can’t answer your question directly, but here are some observations. The 35 Summilux ASPH (FLE) renders differently than the 50 Summilux ASPH in my experience when not stopped down, which tends to equalize performance of many lenses. The latter has smoother transitions and out of focus blur in various conditions; a favorite of mine.  The FLE bokeh can be more ‘nervous’ at times.  I always thought that my 28 Summicron ASPH (v1) rendering was a nice match with the 50 Summilux ASPH, but I use 28mm far less frequently.

I also have the 35 M Summicron (v.1), which might be  a better match to the 50 Summicron, despite design differences. Attention to flaring is also necessary with both.  

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can only be the Summilux 50/1.4 asph to me but it is a subjective matter obviously. I say "can" because i have no personal experience with the 35/1.4 asph pre-FLE but i found so little differences with the FLE that i did not bother to try a pre-FLE. Did i say subjective? ;) YMMV.

Welcome back, Yanidel!  I remember your pictures with your 60 Hexanon with great affection and should you wish to find a new home for your 60 Hex to help pay for a 50 then please send me a PM.

In my opinion the best match with the 35/1.4 asph pre-FLE would be the 50/1.4 Summilux pre-asph, which is gentle enough that ladies of a certain age are quite happy with their portraits.  To my eye the colours are very similar too - not too saturated or 'in your face' but with excellent hue separation and slight;y on the cooler side than the warmer side.

(For info, I have owned or do own, and am well acquainted with, a number of 50's: 50/3.5 Elmar, 50/2 Rigid Summicron, 50/2 Summicron v4 and v5, 50/1.4 Summilux asph, 50/1.4 'Retro' Summilux asph Black Chrome, 50/1 Noctilux v4, and 50/0.95 Noctilux asph.)

Pete.

• Thanks 1

Given that you were almost single-handedly responsible in the most part for stagging the market for the Hexanon 60 that I had intended to buy I'd like to lead you astray.. 😉... but I would say without doubt the 50 Lux ASPH.

I have a (heavy) silver chrome version and an anodised black version (and owned then sold the black chrome version) simply to get the minor weight reduction.

I realised that despite the ridiculous "extra" cost I needed both. Keeping the black anodised version (for travel) as well as the chrome effectively costs me c. £2000. 

I don't have that feeling re any other Leica lens I own. 

Edited by NigelG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I feel that I’ve frequently read about the 50 Summilux ASPH on this forum in terms of it being a favorite for many. I’m more familiar with later lenses like the M 50 APO. What is it that apparently draws so many to the rendering of the 50 Summilux ASPH (particularly in relation to the more modern APO Summicrons?)

Edited by Jon Warwick

I like rendering conversations.  In a blind taste test so to speak, we would not be able to pick out which lens took which shot unless it was something like a v1 Cron (super swirly!) compared to a modern Cron.  And then only wide open.

I have the 50 Asph and the CV 50 1.5 v2 (and other 50s) and I wouldn't be able to tell you which lens took which pic.  But I do like using the Leica lens more!

I also have the 35 FLE as well as other 35s like the ZM Distagon 35 1.4.  Again, I like using the Leica lens more.

Go with the 35 FLE and 50 Lux Asph combo.  You'll never regret it.  Unless you are on a budget!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

29 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

I feel that I’ve frequently read about the 50 Summilux ASPH on this forum in terms of it being a favorite for many. I’m more familiar with later lenses like the M 50 APO. What is it that apparently draws so many to the rendering of the 50 Summilux ASPH (particularly in relation to the more modern APO Summicrons?)

I can't speak for others but every portrait/travel photo ever taken that get's an "ooh" from either the sitter or my family has been taken with the 50 Lux ASPH. Looking to add a 28 Lux for the same reason. 

PS sold my 35 Lux FLE via Ivor at Red Dot London and will be looking out for a 28 LUX

I think a 50/28 Lux could be my ultimate combo.

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

I shot and made prints using the 50 APO Summicron (standard and black chrome versions) to compare to my Summilux ASPH.  Both are very fine lenses, capable of superb results, but the latter better suits my tastes, and I also prefer its ergonomics and handling.  Most obviously, there is no substitute for f/1.4, but beyond that the rendering has a special smoothness (yet not lacking in perceived ‘sharpness’); a ‘natural-ness’ that I like. But words often fail me in describing these things; I only know it when I see it, in print.  And as always, results vary by myriad factors, including me and my workflow and preferences.

There are loads of threads on this…

Jeff

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, Jeff S said:

The M9 is the outlier with 1m frame line optimization.  I far prefer 2m, but that’s based on my typical shooting distances using 28/35/50 mm lenses.

Can’t answer your question directly, but here are some observations. The 35 Summilux ASPH (FLE) renders differently than the 50 Summilux ASPH in my experience when not stopped down, which tends to equalize performance of many lenses. The latter has smoother transitions and out of focus blur in various conditions; a favorite of mine.  The FLE bokeh can be more ‘nervous’ at times.  I always thought that my 28 Summicron ASPH (v1) rendering was a nice match with the 50 Summilux ASPH, but I use 28mm far less frequently.

I also have the 35 M Summicron (v.1), which might be  a better match to the 50 Summicron, despite design differences. Attention to flaring is also necessary with both.  

Jeff

I got so used to the M9 framelines, that it has been tough to adjust. I knew I always had some leeway in the framing.  Now, you have to be precise. Many cut feets since I got the M10, but eventually, I'll get used to it.

On 7/28/2022 at 6:58 PM, farnz said:

Welcome back, Yanidel!  I remember your pictures with your 60 Hexanon with great affection and should you wish to find a new home for your 60 Hex to help pay for a 50 then please send me a PM.

In my opinion the best match with the 35/1.4 asph pre-FLE would be the 50/1.4 Summilux pre-asph, which is gentle enough that ladies of a certain age are quite happy with their portraits.  To my eye the colours are very similar too - not too saturated or 'in your face' but with excellent hue separation and slight;y on the cooler side than the warmer side.

(For info, I have owned or do own, and am well acquainted with, a number of 50's: 50/3.5 Elmar, 50/2 Rigid Summicron, 50/2 Summicron v4 and v5, 50/1.4 Summilux asph, 50/1.4 'Retro' Summilux asph Black Chrome, 50/1 Noctilux v4, and 50/0.95 Noctilux asph.)

Pete.

Thank you very much Pete for the offer.   I went to Buenos Aires this weekend to shoot and took the 60mm Hexanon.  And I realized I can't sell it, so I will learn how to use the new framelines.  I added a 1.25 loupe so the 50/75 basically feel the frame. It is much easier to use this way.  When it is quick action, I use the 50mm and leave some space., when I need to compose or compress, I use the 75mm. So the 60mm gives me too lenses ;)   I looked a lot on the web at 50/1.4 Lux pre-asph and your description fits it. What I am not convinced about it is the famous Leica glow at F1.4. The 35mm Lux does not have it so it bothers me to have two different looks. I'll use the 50mm Summicron when the 60mm Hexanon results to big or no need for 1.4.  

Edited by yanidel
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 7:21 PM, NigelG said:

Given that you were almost single-handedly responsible in the most part for stagging the market for the Hexanon 60 that I had intended to buy I'd like to lead you astray.. 😉... but I would say without doubt the 50 Lux ASPH.

I have a (heavy) silver chrome version and an anodised black version (and owned then sold the black chrome version) simply to get the minor weight reduction.

I realised that despite the ridiculous "extra" cost I needed both. Keeping the black anodised version (for travel) as well as the chrome effectively costs me c. £2000. 

I don't have that feeling re any other Leica lens I own. 

Hi Nigel,  funny you mention that since it never was the intent when I wrote the review for the 60mm Hexanon.  Actually, I became aware of the Hexanon value a couple of years later and really, it has not served me well.   Indeed, my lens went from a $1'500 to above $10'000.  So suddenly, my daily shooter had become a good of high value. Because of that, I did not take it on my trip around the world and in the past, did not take it to go shoot in Argentina streets because of the fear to get mugged.  Never wanted to sell it though temptation has been high in the crumbling Argentina economy. In the end, I might just enjoy it and whatever happens happens, I will no longer worry about it.  Because really, it is the best match for the 35mm Lux Asph.  I took it to Buenos Aires this weekend to make it work with the new framelines, I guess I can get used to it 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 7:43 PM, Huss said:

I like rendering conversations.  In a blind taste test so to speak, we would not be able to pick out which lens took which shot unless it was something like a v1 Cron (super swirly!) compared to a modern Cron.  And then only wide open.

I have the 50 Asph and the CV 50 1.5 v2 (and other 50s) and I wouldn't be able to tell you which lens took which pic.  But I do like using the Leica lens more!

I also have the 35 FLE as well as other 35s like the ZM Distagon 35 1.4.  Again, I like using the Leica lens more.

Go with the 35 FLE and 50 Lux Asph combo.  You'll never regret it.  Unless you are on a budget!

I agree with you if referring to sharpness from F2.8.   But I do see differences in colors and contrast. If one works in projects and like to change the look of his picture, it does not matter, but I intend to have one body of work with the same look.  I can spot my 24mm Elmarit yellow drift. I can also spot the desaturation of Voigtlander lenses. And as you said at F1.4, differences are very noticeable.  I have a series of shots taken with the 40mm Nokton wide open that I dislike everytime I see them and think "why did I not have the 35mm Lux Asph".  Too soft, too cold, not enough contrast.  Though you can partly correct in Lightroom, you can never replicate completely.  Obviously, it might be perceived as picking hairs, but well, I like having consistency in the look of my pictures, and for all the bucks we invest in Leica, I guess it is warrented ;)

• Like 1