M9 batteries not charging

Bill Hartung

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've always been happy with my M9, and recently to keep it going I purchased a new battery.  It took the expected time to get this battery fully charged and seemed to perform well, but with about 50% life left on the camera's screen, the battery suddenly died.  Now when it's in the charger it takes just a few minutes for the indicator lights to make it look like it's fully charged, but the camera gives me the 'low battery' notice when I turn on the camera.  In addition, when I put the older battery in the charger it also goes right to the lights showing 'fully charged' and the graph on the camera screen shows no change to the charge level of that battery.  Has anybody dealt with this issue?  Any suggestions?

22 hours ago, Bill Hartung said:

I've always been happy with my M9, and recently to keep it going I purchased a new battery.  It took the expected time to get this battery fully charged and seemed to perform well, but with about 50% life left on the camera's screen, the battery suddenly died.  Now when it's in the charger it takes just a few minutes for the indicator lights to make it look like it's fully charged, but the camera gives me the 'low battery' notice when I turn on the camera.  In addition, when I put the older battery in the charger it also goes right to the lights showing 'fully charged' and the graph on the camera screen shows no change to the charge level of that battery.  Has anybody dealt with this issue?  Any suggestions?

Hi Bill & welcome :)

I had a similar issue once when I bought a third party extra battery. It was terrible and I just threw it away as the shop I bought it from refused to exchange it.

However the fact that you have an issue with your old battery does seem to point towards an issue with the charger as jdlaing suggested. Did you have any problems with the older battery before buying the new one?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bill Hartung said:

I purchased a new battery

You didn't say if a Leica branded battery or an 'alternative'.  If it isn't a Leica battery, I would get a new genuine Leica battery and see if that charges ok. There is lots of issues reported using cheap substitutes . 

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This isn't an issue with the battery. This is a Leica M9 defect that first appeared in 2011. There's a defective component inside the camera that fails to read battery levels correctly.  All Leica M9s are affected sooner or later. My camera actually just started showing these same symptoms after 8 years of ownership. It is displaying battery levels being low before shutting off completely regardless if the battery is full charged. (I only own first party batteries. And they're specifically M9 batteries -- I know some people use M8 batteries too)

Leica used to offer free repair for this... but I literally just received a call from them 10 minutes ago stating that they're no longer supporting this repair. As an alternative, they offered me a trade-in discount for the new M-system which basically gives me $3,000 off. But.. honestly .. I'm not interested anymore. What's the point of owning a professional system camera if the manufacture only supports repairs for a limited time. Now I'm going to have a $7,000 brick in my hands. great. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2022 at 11:02 PM, mrxclxst said:

This isn't an issue with the battery. This is a Leica M9 defect that first appeared in 2011. There's a defective component inside the camera that fails to read battery levels correctly.  All Leica M9s are affected sooner or later. My camera actually just started showing these same symptoms after 8 years of ownership. It is displaying battery levels being low before shutting off completely regardless if the battery is full charged. (I only own first party batteries. And they're specifically M9 batteries -- I know some people use M8 batteries too)

Leica used to offer free repair for this... but I literally just received a call from them 10 minutes ago stating that they're no longer supporting this repair. As an alternative, they offered me a trade-in discount for the new M-system which basically gives me $3,000 off. But.. honestly .. I'm not interested anymore. What's the point of owning a professional system camera if the manufacture only supports repairs for a limited time. Now I'm going to have a $7,000 brick in my hands. great. 

I've had a similar experience.

A year or so ago I bought a second hand M9 with an original Leica battery but after a while it seemed it was not holding its charge so I bought a non-Leica replacement battery.

This new battery worked fine with the camera battery meter showing it to be full when charged and near empty after a few hundred shots. This worked for the next full charge but subsequent full charges appeared  to enable much few shots before the meter reached zero until a fully charged  battery inserted in the camera always showed less 10% on the meter. I presumed it was a dud battery and complained to the seller (BatteryUpgrade.com) who agreed to provide a replacement without with me returning the battery to them - which I thought was excellent customer service! (Sadly I disposed of that battery when the new one arrived!)

The same thing happened with this new battery so I looked on line and was prompted to consider that the camera's metre might be at fault. I then started to keep shooting even when the meter showed <10% and low and behold the camera kept on shooting for any many more picture. I recharged the battery and the same thing happened again. The battery gauge is now just an approximate guide to the the state of the battery and I look at image counter to see whether I might really be nearing <10% charge. 

Its a real disappointment if Leica no longer fix this problem (as mentioned by mrxclxst above) but it not a show stopper and I rarely take more than 150 pics in one day so the fault in the battery meter is a minor inconvenience.

I'm now going to test my original battery in the same way - it may even be that it is actually still very useable - or maybe not. I'll soon find out!

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, mrxclxst said:

Oooh, ooh - I know this one (even though I'm late and the OP was only here a couple of weeks) Leica has offered you $3000 for a (according to you) an aged, probably going to fail, due to the sensor anyway, 13-year old, brick in your hand.  In other words, you were offered the golden egg and you scrambled it.  Send it to me please, and I'll use your $3000 trade in on another M11. 🤗

1 hour ago, DenverSteve said:

13-year old, brick in your hand. 

Sometimes reading and understanding helps. For some...

The battery gauge is now just an approximate guide to the the state of the battery and I look at image counter to see whether I might really be nearing <10% charge. 

Its a real disappointment if Leica no longer fix this problem (as mentioned by mrxclxst above) but it not a show stopper and I rarely take more than 150 pics in one day so the fault in the battery meter is a minor inconvenience.

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2022 at 8:09 PM, IR-zero said:

I've had a similar experience.

A year or so ago I bought a second hand M9 with an original Leica battery but after a while it seemed it was not holding its charge so I bought a non-Leica replacement battery.

This new battery worked fine with the camera battery meter showing it to be full when charged and near empty after a few hundred shots. This worked for the next full charge but subsequent full charges appeared  to enable much few shots before the meter reached zero until a fully charged  battery inserted in the camera always showed less 10% on the meter. I presumed it was a dud battery and complained to the seller (BatteryUpgrade.com) who agreed to provide a replacement without with me returning the battery to them - which I thought was excellent customer service! (Sadly I disposed of that battery when the new one arrived!)

The same thing happened with this new battery so I looked on line and was prompted to consider that the camera's metre might be at fault. I then started to keep shooting even when the meter showed <10% and low and behold the camera kept on shooting for any many more picture. I recharged the battery and the same thing happened again. The battery gauge is now just an approximate guide to the the state of the battery and I look at image counter to see whether I might really be nearing <10% charge. 

I'm now going to test my original battery in the same way - it may even be that it is actually still very useable - or maybe not. I'll soon find out!