Q2M plus what as a travel combo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the Q-P and sold it. Regrets. I can get a mint one in UK for under 3000 which is about what I sold mine for. They seem to be holding their prices very well. When I started this quest I was conviced I needed a 24-telephoto equiv zoom. Now I think a Q-P plus my phone for the very occasional telephoto / ultra wide is a better solution. My bag is the perfect size for a Q2M and Q-P. It’s a sign.

11 minutes ago, Jacobjuul said:

If you mainly use the Q2M for travel/family stuff, why not sell it and get a regular Q2? I bet you wont notice that big of a difference with BW conversions and you wont have to use filters. 

Another option is to get the original Q and just leave the Q2M at home. 

I love the Q2M files and the forced experience of shooting in B&W. Most of the time I am happy with just the Q2M. It’s just visits to places where I want to record memories that I need colour for. I think my ideal would be a Q2 and Q2M and just decide which one to take for a given trip. I think I am happy to wait for the Q3 and use either a Q-P or my X100v while i wait.

I was just about to suggest the X100V with the wide angle and/or the tele converter. I got the older wide converter (for the x70) and that makes it wider on the x100V (there's a simple hack to make it auto recognised on the X100v) - this was you would have a 24MP at 25mm, 35mm and 50mm.  My other choice would be a Q - but the crops are less flexible with file size. 

Let us know what you decide and especially how that experience went on a trip!

31 minutes ago, PaulJohn said:

I didn't know about the older wide converter. Interesting.

I've cropped the Q to 50mm with pleasing results. You can do a lot with 6 Meg.

Yes will report back on decision once finalised. I'm leaning towards waiting for the Q3.

Well, waiting is always an option. But you could be waiting a year or more before you have a Q3 in your hands. And is your budget ready for another BIG HIT, like double or more of that mint Q-P for a color companion that's a junior partner to your Q2M?

12 minutes ago, PaulJohn said:

I’m more bothered about depreciation that the outright cost of purchase. That’s why I am more tempted by the Q-P rather than a Q2. The Q2 reporter might be a better buy in that respect (???) but I don’t think I like the army green - not sure.

I bought my Q2 last month, I know the sensor's performance through my wife's Lumix S1R and I'm good with it. I got a nice discount from B&H through a price match with amazon that peeled off $600. I could have bought a Q2 Reporter, if I wanted to wait. But in researching used Q2 Reporters, the Kevlar fabric starts to look like old underwear, I didn't like it. I really like the Q-P. I have to work in the 8K resolution envelope with my stills for my wife's videos or I would have bought a Q-P no doubt about it.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:50 AM, PaulJohn said:

X-T30 looks interesting. Might prefer X-E4 with same lens.

If it was just about getting the images my phone would be fine but I’m totally uninspired to use it.

I would prefer the Sony A7Riii to the Sony A7C which isnt much bigger but then I’m getting closer to an option I already own but rejected due to size, the Canon R5 with 24-105mm f4. Fine on it’s own but getting bulky if I add the Q2M.

The DLux7 suggestion looks very interesting. I will explore further between this and X-E4.

Anyone have opinions of the Oly E-P7 + leica 12-60?

Thanks for suggestions

Rather than the E-P7 and Leica 12-60, maybe the Olympus EM5 MKiii + Olympus 12-45. The Leica starts at f2.8 but quickly gets slower. The 12-45 is f4 but sharp wide open and with Olympus IBIS it is very usable indoors even at 200 ISO as long as you are not wanting to stop motion. It is small and light, a really nice combination and it is weather sealed. 

• Like 1

Interesting conversation. I don't have a Q but am tempted. As a companion for my M10 I got a LX100 MkII (at a special price, half that of a D-Lux). It's fast and convenient and I like the super easy traditional interface. A lot depends on how long you want to go. Cell phone cameras are fine if you just need a WA lens but not so good if you want to pull in a distant scene. I quite like the specs of the Leica C/Panasonic TZ220 with its long range zoom and 1-inch sensor -- but there would have to be compromises with IQ.

• 2 weeks later...

I said I would report back on my decision. I decided to wait for the Q3 and fill the gap with something fun. I have bought an Olympus E-p7 with 15mm 1.7, 25mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8. All used in mint condition except the 15mm which is new grey and on its way. It’s feels cheap because it is cheap but the pics are tack sharp and don’t look cheap at all. It has the same jpeg engine as the Pen-F so there’s that to play with too.

• Like 2

Am 28.7.2022 um 17:47 schrieb PaulJohn:

My finger is hovering over the buy button on a Sony RX100 VII (apologies for profanity) as a pairing for my Q2 mono because

i) I want to stay light

ii) I can't commit to mono travelling to destinations that I might not return to.

iii) It adds wider when needed and zoom to 200mm

I can see that the high ISO is absolutely pants above 1600 and f4.5 at the long end won't help with that.

I'm sure I'm not the first to stress over this.

Any recommends?

Take a good phone like the Pixel 6 Pro. That'll give you color and some reach as well as wide. Quality is not much, if any, behind the Sony RX100. That's why I sold mine. If I need high qualtiy images in color, I take the Sony a7c with the 28-60 along with the the Q2M. The little 28-60 will surpirse you as it is pretty sharp. But of course it is not very fast. But you can't have it all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clasami said:

Take a good phone like the Pixel 6 Pro. That'll give you color and some reach as well as wide. Quality is not much, if any, behind the Sony RX100. That's why I sold mine. If I need high qualtiy images in color, I take the Sony a7c with the 28-60 along with the the Q2M. The little 28-60 will surpirse you as it is pretty sharp. But of course it is not very fast. But you can't have it all.

sounds like a neat solution.

One of my best (converted to) B&W 16x20 prints was taken with my iPhone11 Pro.  One of my best color prints of the same size was taken with my 6MP Nikon DSLR in the early '00s.  Frankly, I've found the 70mm crop of the Q2 works fine with prints viewed at normal viewing distance.  Obviously, if you want to make a 24x36 print and examine it from 8" away, it will not match a pic taken with a 70mm lens.  But as has often been said, you really don't need many MPs to make a great print.  You just need a great photo!  :)

• Like 1

Am 12.8.2022 um 08:59 schrieb PaulJohn:

It’s feels cheap because it is but the pics are tack sharp and don’t look cheap at all. 

Thx for the update. I would suggest that you try the e-m1 II, they are realy cheap on the used Markt and are well build, no cheap handling like the E-p7. The 25 and 45 1.8 are outstanding, the 17 1.7 is a bit disapointing in comparison.

In my opinion you did the right desicion. If you want more reach you could get the 12-100 4.0, but it needs at least the e-m1 for handling. I only got the normal Q2, so for me cropping till 50mm is good, and 75 sometimes usable. I only look for equivalent reach over or under 25-75mm. For hiking the q2 + mft-body(e-m1, g9, Pen-f) + olympus 7-14 2.8 and some tele lens does the job (45 1.8, 45 1.2, 75 1.8, 12-100 4.0, 40-150 2.8, 200 2.8) depends on the backpack size and Situation.

Often weathersealing and handling is a bit more important for me than size. Thats why I dislike the non-sealed mft bodys for travel& hiking. But I guess that is more of a personal preference. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 3:30 AM, PaulJohn said:

I had the Q-P and sold it. Regrets. I can get a mint one in UK for under 3000 which is about what I sold mine for. They seem to be holding their prices very well. When I started this quest I was conviced I needed a 24-telephoto equiv zoom. Now I think a Q-P plus my phone for the very occasional telephoto / ultra wide is a better solution. My bag is the perfect size for a Q2M and Q-P. It’s a sign.

Would you mind sharing which bag you utilize?  Thanks...