Q2M plus what as a travel combo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just replied this to a similar thread:

And I would say the same here. Why nullify one of the best features of the Q2 by carrying along a camera that can produce similar images, but demands additional lenses, uses a menu system and UI with a different DNA etc? You're just adding indecision and bulk to your travel plans - do you really want that? 

Yes, the Q2 has a fixed focal length, but for travel & social I find that the cropping function adds an acceptable amount of flexibility, with no need to decide on your final framing till you get the images in LR/C1/PS.

Just to show that I can be as inconsistent as anyone, I have just spent a week at the Arles photo festival with my Q2 and a M4 + Summilux 35 Pre-asph loaded with Portra 400. Even that limited choice was irritating, since I had to decide if I wanted the shot as film or digital, and my mindset for film is quite different (I find they behave differently with different subject matter, exposure etc).

• Like 1

If I am traveling by car and space is not an issue, I bring an SL2-S kit to accompany my Q2M. Same batteries and similar buttons and menus. But I never have both cameras along on a hike or outing. 

The Q2M is a special tool for the many reasons we all know. I'll reiterate my favorite suggestion to your query - iPhone 13 pro. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Alan Friedman said:

If I am traveling by car and space is not an issue, I bring an SL2-S kit to accompany my Q2M. Same batteries and similar buttons and menus. But I never have both cameras along on a hike or outing. 

The Q2M is a special tool for the many reasons we all know. I'll reiterate my favorite suggestion to your query - iPhone 13 pro. 

I have that phone but haven’t used it as a camera properly 🤔

29 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

A Q2 is weatherproof.

I’m not trying to be difficult, but I mistakenly took another high end “weather sealed” camera to a beach, and dust got onto the sensor. Then I researched it and learned about the differing degrees of sealing. My understanding is that the Q2 is quite well sealed for general use, but is not fully waterproof or dust proof. I’m just trying to save you possible grief if you’re going into high stress environments. (I think a Leica dealer could be more specific). Hope you  find a “best possible” solution and have fun!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, PaulJohn said:

I have that phone but haven’t used it as a camera properly 🤔

Honestly, try it. If you have access to Flickr, there are some good examples of what can be done with the 'phone. You will also save yourself a heap of cash as you already have it.

• Like 1

I have a M10M so I understand. I always take my iPhone 13 ProMax along as a gap filler for photos. But to have it as the main color alternative for the OPs Q2M on a trip, I don't think that's a good idea. Even with all the brilliant tech, the IQ just isn't there to properly compliment the Q2M when color is desired.

If my earlier suggestion of the $2098 Sony A7C + kit lens is too expensive then a $1299 Fuji X-T30 II with its quality kit zoom would be a great fall back. A compact 26MP APS-C with excellent IQ and OIS for low light. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1662377-REG/fujifilm_16759677_x_t30_ii_mirrorless_digital.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rdf said:

I’m not trying to be difficult, but I mistakenly took another high end “weather sealed” camera to a beach, and dust got onto the sensor. Then I researched it and learned about the differing degrees of sealing. My understanding is that the Q2 is quite well sealed for general use, but is not fully waterproof or dust proof. I’m just trying to save you possible grief if you’re going into high stress environments. (I think a Leica dealer could be more specific). Hope you  find a “best possible” solution and have fun!

I think your advice was meant for the OP.

I’ve used an M240 in heavy spray, my SL in heavy rain, and I expect to do the same with the Q2. Which was your camera that failed?

The Q2 is rated as IP52, meaning it can handle near vertical spray (eg rain) while the SL is rated IP54, meaning protection against spray from all directions. Both have the same protection against dust. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

54 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I think your advice was meant for the OP.

I’ve used an M240 in heavy spray, my SL in heavy rain, and I expect to do the same with the Q2. Which was your camera that failed?

The Q2 is rated as IP52, meaning it can handle near vertical spray (eg rain) while the SL is rated IP54, meaning protection against spray from all directions. Both have the same protection against dust. 

Thanks. The camera that failed was a Sony A7c with a zoom lens. Suspect it was the zoom lens that sucked in debris. I’m enjoying the Q2 immensely, but am hesitant to expose it severe weather (perhaps I’m being too cautious). 

• Like 1

The SL2 is a tad too big and then  requires add-on lenses (which is an advantage), but has the same battery type - if Leica makes a Q2 type with a 21-35 or 50 zoom, also with crop modes and same battery type, I would be very interested to pair it to theQ2M

X-T30 looks interesting. Might prefer X-E4 with same lens.

If it was just about getting the images my phone would be fine but I’m totally uninspired to use it.

I would prefer the Sony A7Riii to the Sony A7C which isnt much bigger but then I’m getting closer to an option I already own but rejected due to size, the Canon R5 with 24-105mm f4. Fine on it’s own but getting bulky if I add the Q2M.

The DLux7 suggestion looks very interesting. I will explore further between this and X-E4.

Anyone have opinions of the Oly E-P7 + leica 12-60?

Thanks for suggestions

8 hours ago, PaulJohn said:

If it was just about getting the images my phone would be fine but I’m totally uninspired to use it.

I would prefer the Sony A7Riii to the Sony A7C which isnt much bigger but then I’m getting closer to an option I already own but rejected due to size, the Canon R5 with 24-105mm f4. Fine on it’s own but getting bulky if I add the Q2M.

The DLux7 suggestion looks very interesting. I will explore further between this and X-E4.

Thanks for suggestions

Here's a link from CameraSize.com, the Sony A7C is slightly smaller and lighter (with the kit lens mounted) than the Q2: https://bit.ly/3vyjotz

Here in the States the X-E4 is harder to get, so if lead time before your trip is not an issue then it's a nice body.

Edited by goodbokeh

Also have the Q2M and had the same question. My decision ended up in getting the Ricoh GRIII. Was thinking about the X version for a while, but just think 28mm is more useful then 40.

For me it was all portability. Otherwise i would love to have a Fujifilm x-pro3 as companion but it just gets to big.

Edited by TaoPicture

1 hour ago, TaoPicture said:

Also have the Q2M and had the same question. My decision ended up in getting the Ricoh GRIII. Was thinking about the X version for a while, but just think 28mm is more useful then 40.

For me it was all portability. Otherwise i would love to have a Fujifilm x-pro3 as companion but it just gets to big.

That's not a bad idea at all, either GRIII model for the OP depending on focal length preference. I have the color Q2 (also M10M & R). But if I had the Q2M, and the available $, and wanted a AF color companion, the Q-P really is the best designed for purpose Q model. There's one for sale on Fred Miranda that is mint: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1765841/0?keyword=Leica,Q#15997386

On 8/1/2022 at 12:50 AM, PaulJohn said:

Thanks for suggestions

Not with the Oly E-p7, but with the Pen-F. there are a few options for pancake lenses as either single focal and zoom, which makes the camera supercompact. 

The downside on the m43 is the low "plasticity" of the raw files - you have way less flexibility for cropping, exposure compensation and noise reduction. otoh, the Pen F has some digital features that are very well suited as a travel camera. My main disappointment with this camera is the low weather resistance that it has - compared with the EM1mk2 for instance.

I read a rumour about a Pen-Fmk2 being a possibility and that would likely have better WP/WR seals....

Great topic and some good responses.  I just spent 3 weeks in Scotland, England, Ireland and a bit of Wales with my Q2M and M10-R with a 35 Lux fle, WATE and APO 50 Cron.  I  wound up with about 50/50 with each camera.  I love my M10-R but if I were doing this again, based on the "wow factor" of my photos, I'd just take the Q2M. Maybe it was because the weather was mostly filthy but the Q2M just raised my game and changed the way I viewed my subjects.  It really changed the way I worked, and for the better.  Just me.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 11:47 AM, PaulJohn said:

My finger is hovering over the buy button on a Sony RX100 VII (apologies for profanity) as a pairing for my Q2 mono because

i) I want to stay light

ii) I can't commit to mono travelling to destinations that I might not return to.

iii) It adds wider when needed and zoom to 200mm

I can see that the high ISO is absolutely pants above 1600 and f4.5 at the long end won't help with that.

I'm sure I'm not the first to stress over this.

Any recommends?

RX100VII would be a great companion to the Q(2/M) if you want the smallest/lightest option in that zoom range. It is surprisingly good even at 200MM. The small size belies the versatility of that camera.