Dead M11

Leslie22

I’ve had the M11 go completely unresponsive couple of times. Even the off and on button wouldn’t do anything. However, each time the only thing that resolved the issue was to remove the battery, wait a few seconds and then it put back in. When the M11 works I just love it but I am not sure what to think of these weird reliability issues. Never had an issue with my M10 before. 

On 7/28/2022 at 6:03 AM, MikeMike88 said:

Can’t t dispute your experience but i cant really see how a film camera can fail unless you’ve really beat it up . Digital however can be more finicky i guess especially Leica . Before owning a digital Leica i never heard of such shortcomings from this brand. My M6 is a real champ as is the hassleblad 500 . 

I didn't own my M2 or M6 long enough for them to fail on me.  I don't think I ever had any issues with my M7, but my film MP failed on me, and was repaired by Leica under warranty; so did my M8, which was eventually replaced by Leica even though the warranty had expired.  My Monochrom (M9) of course had to to get the sensor replaced.  Almost forgot, my film Leica CL failed on me, that was decades ago.  I've had Nikon film cameras also fail on me.  No brand is fail proof. 

20 hours ago, SrMi said:

I often charge in-camera. Let's not come to false conclusions. I assume that many M11 owners charge in-camera.

Not trying to mislead on anything, but i love to narrowing down the possibilities 

besides from what i know, dead electronic tools most likely bcoz something is fried, and the probability is likeliest from built in charger, but then sl2 have been doing this for some time with no problem, i wish its feature already matured

im just trying to avoid sending over to leica for warranty, from where i live, it is almost buying without a warranty, well unless if it is DOA can probably swap right away hahaha 

5 hours ago, jakontil said:

Not trying to mislead on anything, but i love to narrowing down the possibilities 

besides from what i know, dead electronic tools most likely bcoz something is fried, and the probability is likeliest from built in charger, but then sl2 have been doing this for some time with no problem, i wish its feature already matured

im just trying to avoid sending over to leica for warranty, from where i live, it is almost buying without a warranty, well unless if it is DOA can probably swap right away hahaha 

If built-in charging fried something, then the camera should not be working after disconnecting it from the charger, and it would be easy to determine that the culprit is the charging. However, if it fails during shooting, in-camera charging is likely not the cause.

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

If built-in charging fried something, then the camera should not be working after disconnecting it from the charger, and it would be easy to determine that the culprit is the charging. However, if it fails during shooting, in-camera charging is likely not the cause.

yeah i certainly hope so since the main reason why i got the m11 was bcoz of its superpower usb c port, which charger do you use to charge with?

6 hours ago, jakontil said:

yeah i certainly hope so since the main reason why i got the m11 was bcoz of its superpower usb c port, which charger do you use to charge with?

I use all kinds of chargers, depending on which one is free and which I decide to take with me (Apple Macbook charger, Anker, etc.). I use them interchangeably for phones, tablets, computers, and cameras.
For peace of mind, you may get a USB-C Voltage/Ampere meter.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SrMi said:

Fred Miranda's suggestions do not make sense.

How does it not make sense to use the factory supplied charger? Anyway, the M11 should work with any USB-C charger even if the power brick was the size of a house. But electronics are strange things – if the internals are not regulating the charge (assuming a defect, yet unproven), there could be damage over time that causes failure in the main board while shooting. It doesn't have to go up in a puff of smoke while attached to the charger for the charger to be the problem.

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

How does it not make sense to use the factory supplied charger? Anyway, the M11 should work with any USB-C charger even if the power brick was the size of a house. But electronics are strange things – if the internals are not regulating the charge (assuming a defect, yet unproven), there could be damage over time that causes failure in the main board while shooting. It doesn't have to go up in a puff of smoke while attached to the charger for the charger to be the problem.

His suggestion to avoid third-party chargers because of potential voltage issues does not make sense. Most chargers have multi-voltage support (5V, 9V, 12V). The charging client specifies which voltage is to be used. For charging any device, it is best to use high quality USB-C charging cables and chargers.

For peace of mind, one can use one of the USB-C voltage/ampere meters to monitor the charging input. For example, on my M11, it is always 5V, regardless of the charger I use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

His suggestion to avoid third-party chargers because of potential voltage issues does not make sense. Most chargers have multi-voltage support (5V, 9V, 12V). The charging client specifies which voltage is to be used. For charging any device, it is best to use high quality USB-C charging cables and chargers.

For peace of mind, one can use one of the USB-C voltage/ampere meters to monitor the charging input. For example, on my M11, it is always 5V, regardless of the charger I use.

Still makes me nervous to charge in camera. Does the meter/monitor offer immediate shutoff if it detects a spike?

12 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Still makes me nervous to charge in camera. Does the meter/monitor offer immediate shutoff if it detects a spike?

No.

If the charger generates a spike it would fry my phone/tablet/computer as well. 

3 minutes ago, SrMi said:

No.

If the charger generates a spike it would fry my phone/tablet/computer as well. 

Would it? The operating tolerance of the M11 could be more narrow. Anyway, I’m just clinging onto my theory with only anecdotal evidence. Hopefully Hugh and this person will report back what Leica says. But I think they will simply get a new unit or have the main board replaced with no explanation as to why.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UPDATE ...........

Well after almost 14 weeks good news. Leica have replaced my dead silver M11.

That's the short version ,

The camera died on 28th July , stone dead.

It was sent from Sydney (Australia) to Melbourne , then on to Germany,

Leica Australia gave me a loner for a month long trip to Greece that we had planned , and later after we returned the camera,  offered to lone me another if needed.

Leica Melbourne sent me and update from Germany telling me that the camera was to be repaired (which included some motherboard soldering) on 25th October.

On Saturday 29th Leica Sydney store email to tell me that my camera was to be replaced and come in and collect.

Which I did a couple of hours ago ....... A very long wait 14 weeks but I'm so happy to have a new replacement M11 

• Like 4