Professional cleaning

High_n_Dry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I inherited a 1.4/50 Summilux, a 2.8/28 Elmarit, and a 4/135 Elmar. These lens were from 1970/80's.

My question is how do I know if these lenses need to be professionally cleaned. Is there a YouTube video?

We have a Leica store in the Seattle area. I took the lenses in to them and the associate recommended just the 50 mm to be sent in, but the reasons were not very clear. The reason I hesitate is the high cost, but also they estimated 3-5 months to get the lens back!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, High_n_Dry said:

Hello,

I inherited a 1.4/50 Summilux, a 2.8/28 Elmarit, and a 4/135 Elmar. These lens were from 1970/80's.

My question is how do I know if these lenses need to be professionally cleaned. Is there a YouTube video?

We have a Leica store in the Seattle area. I took the lenses in to them and the associate recommended just the 50 mm to be sent in, but the reasons were not very clear. The reason I hesitate is the high cost, but also they estimated 3-5 months to get the lens back!

Thanks!

This might help. Good luck.

Yes, send it to DAG.  But contact him first to assess needs, turnaround and best time to send in, as he’s been extremely busy lately.  Still much less expensive, faster and typically better results than Leica US in my experience. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

8 minutes ago, 250swb said:

You only want to send your lenses to be fixed if they need fixing, so determine that first.

I guess that's my question. How do I determine that. 

When I went to the Leica store, he basically just shined a light and worked the rings and determined that the 50 mm rings were a little rough and there was some oil on the aperture and thus recommended service.