Leica 90-280 v Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sport - thoughts based on experience please?

graeme_clarke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a SL601, SL2S and a CL I use with a Leica 90-280.  I have another opportunity to visit a game reserve in S Africa in December. Photo opportunities include shots from hides beside water holes and from a Land Rover chugging around the reserve. Wildlife includes buffalo, rhino, giraffe, different antelope, baboons and vervet, and a variety of birds. I'd value your thoughts on getting a Sigma 150-600 for use there. On previous visits the 90-280 has done a great job, giving me sharp images from focal lengths up to about a 420 equivalent when used with the CL.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Graeme

Graeme:  You might read through this thread.  I'm going through the same issue at the moment in anticipation of a trip in September.

My thinking was that 90-150 on SL might serve me better, but I'm not looking to shoot birds. 

I've acquired both lenses and the Sigma is excellent, but definitely longer and bulkier. (Reach out to forum member Michaeli who uses both).

Enjoy your trip.  

Rob

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/303064-telephoto-for-safari-panasonic-70-200-w-2x-vs-leica-90-280/

Telephoto for Safari? Panasonic 70-200 w 2x vs. Leica 90-280 - Leica SL System - Leica Forum.webloc

Edited by ropo54

Due to my experience, the Sigma will serve the SL 601 and the SL2S quite well and you will get more details compared to a cropped image from the 90-280 mm.

Using bodies with smaller pixels (SR1, SL2), the advantage is melting away. (The CL should be similar)

There are two things I do not like about the Sigma:

• The focus ring is close to the body. If animals hide in the gras, manuell focus is needed. It is difficult not to shake with this hand position.
  • The tubus is moving in and out if you change the focal length. A nice way to pump dust into the camera. 

I stayed with the Leica 90 - 280 (+ SR1) and gave back the Sigma. 

Andreas

If you want reach with a good optics and use the L mount and have AF the 150-600 is about the only option. 

For the price a very nice lens. Can be hand held with good sharpness to 500mm for my work. Past 500mm I prefer a tripod. 

The push pull design is a bit tedious especially after using the 90-280. 

I have had mixed results with this Lens using multi shot on the SL2 past 400mm. 

I can’t afford a Leica super tele lens if one ever comes out. And I don’t see Panasonic ever moving forward with new optics in telephoto for the L mount. 

Paul