Laowa 20 MM Shift now available in the US

Jk1002

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After month of waiting finally it showed up at BH. These ones were taken on Tripod, the SL (601) Iso at 200 F8 and then 2 seconds or so. One normal one at max shift.

The lens hood is obviously in the way, didn't notice that I hadn't adjusted it. Also there is lot of dust which I think was  outside on the lens, need to check the sensor one more time but I didnt notice that much and there was a bit on the glas.

If you go lower F stops, it does show some softness in corners, that is what I gathered from some of the reviews as well.

Best

JK

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some more which I believe I took at F4, again SL on Tripod

No Shift

This was not at max shift, not sure what I used

Edited by Jk1002
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I am still trying to figure out what to do with this lens. For one, I don't believe with shift lenses you do need necessarily a tripod. Tilt Shift for sure you need, just shift you can hand hold. Shifting the the lens does impact for sure sharpness but in cities it opens up really interesting shots. Note above is heavily compressed to stay within upload limits.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I also shoot large format though only around 50 sheets a year. I am fascinated by the decaying architecture of what used to be Route 66 boom towns. I am looking to go digital for these projects. So far minor front rise shots like the NYC brownstone above can be done post processing and the Leica Perspective Control works really well with a moderate wide angle. The closer the subject matter the more a dedicated T/S lens is required. I would buy a separate Nikon kit with native lenses for that though. I understand there are adapters that can mount Nikon/Canon AF lenses to L mount while retaining full functionality. If I can buy a used Nikon DSLR for little money I can go all native. Still researching my options.

• 4 months later...

No experience with this shift lens from Laowa for an L-mount camera.

But a lot of experience with camera systems with tilt / shift options in the past.  (Analog 4x5 / 8x10 inch sheet film).
As well as shift only adjustments - a very long time ago with a Nikon 28mm / f 3.5 shift lens for Nikon 35mm analogue.

Those systems "then" - when it comes to already a relative limited quality by experience for 35mm Nikon analogue solutions (especially as for distortion), can't even be compared with current digital systems. Given the specific requirements of digital sensors with regard to more telemetric lens designs.
I wonder if these types of shift lenses for mirror less cameras can meet digital requirements at all?

I suspect that degradation in optical quality with shift adjustments, and e.g. vignetting to the corners by max shift adjustments in one direction, have a more negative impact than simply an optimum "normal" shot wide-angle image, which can be "straightened" afterwards with the possibilities of image editing.

Of course, you also lose quite a bit of resolution with this kind of editing / processing of images.
But I suspect, for example, by using the „high resolution“ 187 Megapixel mode, of a Leica SL2 or Lumix S1R camera,
with a conventional optimised wide-angle lens, and digitally straightening afterwards, you will get a better quality than using a shift lens?

Should be nice to have a comparison test of both options.

Edited by Babylonia
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I regularly use 'film era' shift lenses on my Leica SL 601 and Panasonic S1R cameras, specifically:  Leitz PA Curtagon R 35/4, Leica PC Super Angulon R 28/2.8, Canon TS-E 90/2.8 Mk I – and have used Canon TS-E  24/3.5 Mk II (sold it but wish I still had it) – and also have a Canon TS-E 17mm. They all work fine with the SL 601, Panasonic S1R, and Sony A7s  – including the ancient Leitz PA Curtagon R 35/4 which has a 'very bad press' / 'reviews' from those who likely failed to read that it s/b stopped down to at least f8 and preferably f11 when shifted. 

Using a shift lens on a mirrorless camera at f4 to f2.8 is not recommended; the optimum aperture when shifted is usually f8 to f11 – but – the advantage of most mirrorless cameras is that they can be used at relatively high ISO, e.g., 1600 – enabling use of smaller apertures with relatively high shutter speeds and thus 'handheld' exposures – and the amplified and magnified live view enables accurate focusing. 

Image taken with Panasonic S1R / Leitz PA Curtagon R 35/4  1/400 f11 ISO 800.  The late 1960s PA Curtagon does not have the max shift of modern shift lenses but it's adequate and thousands of published photographs taken by many photographers during the last 60 years testify to its usefulness. My example sat unsold on LCE Strand's shelf for 3 years – likely because it's one of the most unloved and poo poo'd lenses ever – until I made a £reasonable offer for it. Stopped down to its intended optimum f11 when shifted, it's an excellent shift lens. Schneider Angulon designs all require stopping down for optimum imaging. 

Ref the new Laowa 20mm:  f4 is likely pushing the lens when shifted; smaller apertures will respond better and PP will adjust contrast. 

BW, dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 4