Sell Leica 50mm APO for Leica 35mm 1.4 Summilux FLE?

Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/26/2022 at 3:18 PM, Jan1985 said:

I Own a Leica 50mm APO since 2015. But Mostly I Use my 50mm Noctilux for Portrait Work and Weddings. What I am missing is a 35mm focal length in my set. Because this seems to be addicted for reportage and documentary. And I thought about 35mm Summilux FLE.

Would you sell your 50mm APO for this lens?

Make sure you're really "missing" the 35mm FOV and not just feeling the need to play gear roulette.

What happens if you sell your 50 APO and don't even like the 35mm FOV for your work? That's quite a big loss.

Why not rent a 35 Lux for your next wedding or portrait shoot?

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I would say that is the central question.  If the answer is "no" I would keep the 50 APO regardless of how much or little you use it.

A parallel in my own circumstances:  I have a 50mm f/1.0 Noctilux.  I don't use it much, but I know if I were to trade it in on something else, it would not take much time at all until I was regretting it. 

I still regret trading in my pre-ASPH black paint 50mm Summilux, but at the time I needed the trade in cash to get my M-P 240. 

In my experience,  playing catch and release with M lenses is a losing game.

Tell me about it... I bought and sold the 50mm Summilux ASPH 3 times!

Erik

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

In my experience,  playing catch and release with M lenses is a losing game.

My losing game: 🤪

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by evikne

Or maybe this way of viewing is more descriptive. An extract from my equipment list. The two lenses I have kept today have cost me about $10,000. 😬

6 hours ago, evikne said:

Or maybe this way of viewing is more descriptive. An extract from my equipment list. The two lenses I have kept today have cost me about $10,000. 😬

one of the reason im hoarding 50mm lenses! learnt the hardest way, everytime i trade away one lens for the other, i ended up reacquiring again and historically, it would only be more expensive back and forth... the different in cost alone already killing me 

ended up having 2 nocts, a lux and apo both black chrome, a 35 cron and 28 summaron, and none was my virgin glass since they have gone and back and gone and back again

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It’s kinda strange; I am definitely not a 50mm shooter.  It’s absolutely boring to me, yet I have more 50s than 35 lenses.  Still trying to figure that one out.  

If you don’t have a 35, sell the 50!  The 35 FLE is an amazing lens and if I were forced to choose only one 35 to keep, it’d be that one. 

Sell the 50/2 apo if you're on a budget but you will miss it soon or late and it could cost you more then. Got a pre-owned copy in as new condition for EUR 5,200 in 2015. Now i could sell it for more easily. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb lct:

Sell the 50/2 apo if you're on a budget but you will miss it soon or late and it could cost you more then. Got a pre-owned copy in as new condition for EUR 5,200 in 2015. Now i could sell it for more easily. 

All the arguments convinced me to keep. Haha. I got mine in 2015, too for nearly the same price. If now I would have to pay more. And when I look back. I used it for a series which was base for a whole exhibition and other things. It would be a big mistake if I sell.

Did on of you Dudes got his hands on the 35mm APO?

8 hours ago, Anakronox said:

It’s kinda strange; I am definitely not a 50mm shooter.  It’s absolutely boring to me, yet I have more 50s than 35 lenses.  Still trying to figure that one out.  

If you don’t have a 35, sell the 50!  The 35 FLE is an amazing lens and if I were forced to choose only one 35 to keep, it’d be that one. 

Because there too many variations on the 50’s, i feel you! May be im not a 50mm shooter myself, but here i’am 😂

3 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

All the arguments convinced me to keep. Haha. I got mine in 2015, too for nearly the same price. If now I would have to pay more. And when I look back. I used it for a series which was base for a whole exhibition and other things. It would be a big mistake if I sell.

Good decision! Most of us can sleep well after knowing this

from various user report, the 35 apo is a lens to lust! Practically like a single lens all can do thing… frm how close it can focus …. 

Jan1985,  A lesson for all seasons based on experience and going contrary to a former wise professor from university 40 years ago..."Never sell a Leica lens".  I didn't listen being young and inexperienced, but I wound up like Evikne in his post #23...until I remembered the words of sage advice...See previous sentence.  I think you decided to keep the 50 APO...wise decision and save for M 35 FLE.  BTW, according to Leica Rumors there is a new 35 Lux going to be announced later this year.  More reason to save.  In the meantime, perhaps you will create some more superb photographs with your 50 APO.  r/ Mark

3 hours ago, jakontil said:

Because there too many variations on the 50’s, i feel you! May be im not a 50mm shooter myself, but here i’am 😂

Good decision! Most of us can sleep well after knowing this

from various user report, the 35 apo is a lens to lust! Practically like a single lens all can do thing… frm how close it can focus …. 

I think you’ve got it right.  I’ve picked up a couple of older 50s for the hell of it - 50 Elmar f/3.5 and Summarit f/1.5.  Both cost less than $500 each, which are relative bargains in this realm. I almost never use them, but the Elmar does pair up nicely with my 35 Summaron!

6 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

Good decision.

As mentioned above, I’ve turned down two APO 35 Summicrons, and will pass on this lens for the moment.  There is a lot on the lens in the M lens thread.  It is very appealing (apart from the price), with its short focus and rendering across the frame.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:04 PM, evikne said:

Wow, you took big hits on the Noctilux and the 75 lux. 

And at the same time, it seems like you’re fresh for another round of Noctilux and 75 Lux.

18 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Wow, you took big hits on the Noctilux and the 75 lux. 

And at the same time, it seems like you’re fresh for another round of Noctilux and 75 Lux.

I miss 75 Lux the most. If I get the chance, I will buy it back one day.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:04 PM, evikne said:

I thought I was playing Leica game too seriously, but it seems I was no near of the real game.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb eyeheartny:

Try the Voigtlander Ultron 35 f2 Version 2. Better performance than the Leica 35 Summicron and very reasonably priced. 

I have 28mm Voigtländer Ultron II f/2. It‘s vignetting terribly at f/2. Is this the same with the 35mm Ultron? Did you try the 35mm APO Lanthar?

20 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

I have 28mm Voigtländer Ultron II f/2. It‘s vignetting terribly at f/2. Is this the same with the 35mm Ultron? Did you try the 35mm APO Lanthar?

All Voigtlander f/2 (or wider) lenses I have owned have had substantial vignetting wide open, including the 35 APO.