Advertisement (gone after registration)

28 minutes ago, didier said:

The M7 is the most responsive M ever (about 10ms shutter lag)

Hello Didier,

I didn't know that M7 is so "lagless".

Where  I can find this 10ms time lag, please ?

In this case, if true ...M7 will be my next M 👍.

50 minutes ago, didier said:

My biggest Leica mistake was to sell my M7 (as I already had 3 other M bodies) when I bought my first digital camera (M(240)).

The M7 is the most responsive M ever (about 10ms shutter lag)

Didier 

That is not true. Do not believe what you read on some blogs, please. 
How is this actually measured? Certainly not from the push of the shutter button  to the actual exposure. 

The simple Leicavit test will show you how the shutter lags versus any mechanical M.

5 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

That is not true. Do not believe what you read on some blogs, please. 
How is this actually measured? Certainly not from the push of the shutter button  to the actual exposure. 

The simple Leicavit test will show you how the shutter lags versus any mechanical M.

Sorry @Capuccino-Muffin I believe what I used. My M7 was very responsive, at least as much as my M3

• Like 2

From the link Didier provided

Time lag.
Leica did a good job here: the response times of the electronics are very fast. The time parallax between pressure of the shutter release button and firing the shutter is 12 milliseconds (12 -18 ms with the M6). Compare this with the Konica Hexar RF (100 ms) and the typical single reflex camera (above 125 ms) and the current best digital cameras (400 to 1500 milliseconds)

RF 1/10s lag !

I understand why as user of Hexar RF I've never been happy.

• Haha 1

From the signal to the shutter action, there might indeed be 10ms.

But the push of the shutter button definitely does not activate the signal that activates the shutter in guiness record speed. There is definitey a lag between the push of the button and the signal. That 3-action combination problematic.

I know, I know, “capuccino-Muffin” is not as exotic as “erwin puts”, but you can believe Capuccino-Muffin’s Leicavit test: it does not lie.

7 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Also, I wouldn’t *totally* mind selling them but they are Black Paint a la carte x0.58  and every time I check, they seem to jump  in price by 100$ every month for the past 5 years...

I wouldn't let a little thing like that bother you. At 100 rolls a month, you must be spending 10-20x that on film, and as much again on processing if you have it done commercially.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iPacific said:

which batteries did you use?

LR44? SR44? 

and which brand ? in which shop ( trusted one ?)

see my post #5 above.

I'd take Lithium batteries (2x3V) instead for better performance with temperature change...

Edited by a.noctilux

21 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

This simply means that when stretched, the M7 chokes where a MP horses on and on and on.

Basically, the M7 in my hands feels slouchy at all times. It is bearable for slow poke photography but totally unbearable for faster stuff. By faster, I mean simple sharpshooting street photography, no fps. There is that constant lack of instantaneous feedback as opposed to any other mecanical M or Barnack.

The M7, however, is totally instantanous when set on its mechanical speeds. As a test, it will not choke when set on its mechanical speeds with a Leicavit. 

Anyone who goes through at least 100 rolls within a month with a M7, like I do, should totally relate to mt experience. Anyone who shoots 3 rolls a month will miss the point, which is understandable.

For street in quick shots mode I was using film cameras which have semi-automatic mode, but not so much. Batteries are always nothing but obstruction.  

The metering via light reflected on curtains was never good for me on fast street shooting. Those meters works like spot meters, they have very narrow metering spot and with interesting light where it is mix of sun and shadows it was getting finnicky with similar light metering cameras.  

So, I just ditched it and used S16 and M4-2 for years on travels and as every day on the streets camera. It never failed me on exposures accuracy after few months of practice. :) 

But it has to be serviced for broken film advance and it is bugging me with light leak for years...  Still better than no film M or just Cosina. :) 

On 7/26/2022 at 12:49 PM, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Anyone who goes through at least 100 rolls within a month with a M7, like I do, should totally relate to mt experience. Anyone who shoots 3 rolls a month will miss the point, which is understandable.

Did you buy both on day one, or did you miss the point?

Jeff

I will recap

- The supremacy of full mechanical cameras over battery dependent cameras is real.

- The M7 is definitely not the fastest shutter response camera in the world. Actually, it’s among the slowest. A simple Leicavit test proves this.

- No, I will not sell my M7 because a few irritated People think I should do that. If at least the irritated ones would step up and offer to buy (12,000$), we can talk.

- The irritated ones are so defensive about the brand, they seem to overlook the fact that there is a high possibility that I Love the brand more than they Love it. Or the very high possibility that I own at least quadruple the amount of Leic cameras and lenses they own.

- Yes, the M7 is sluggish. Do the Leicavit test and report back. If you cannot test this yourself, why do you even comment about something you do not know about?

• Haha 1

I've been reading this thread for entertainment value, and with no skin in the game - I have never owned a M7.

The OP was about the overall sluggishness of the M7, the poor AE, and the limited battery life (NB no mention of Leicavit).

We have now established that the problem is when shooting 100 rolls per month on vacation using a Leicavit; the cameras are such good investments they can't be sold; and the owner has plenty more Leicas where they came from.

I'm in awe. I look forward to seeing how the story evolves.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I've been reading this thread for entertainment value, and with no skin in the game - I have never owned a M7.

The OP was about the overall sluggishness of the M7, the poor AE, and the limited battery life (NB no mention of Leicavit).

We have now established that the problem is when shooting 100 rolls per month on vacation using a Leicavit; the cameras are such good investments they can't be sold; and the owner has plenty more Leicas where they came from.

I'm in awe. I look forward to seeing how the story evolves.

The story is basically exactly the same since 2003.

I was there. Were you there? Maybe not, lotsa newcomers into the Leica game, you know. Quick google searches makes anyone a Leica expert these days. And do you remember the days when the 50 lux asph was too expensive when it could be found used for 1400$? And the Noctilux f1 wasn’t yet hyped and was generally perceived as a bad buy, even at 1500$?

Back to topic:  back in 2003-2010-ish the main question was wether MP was better than the M7, which to buy, why, and so on.

There was also the reccuring Battery vs Mechanical, which was better, why, and so on.

Obviously, all of this is today perceived as trollish, eh? Is this a Woke thing now? Or a “cancel” thing? At least, you must know that I do not care. He who knows, knows.

Again, back to topic: all this just to say that indeed, the MP wins.

• Haha 5

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Capuccino-Muffin:

Helge,

Try the Leicavit test. Quite enlightening. 

So you love your M7s, both of them, but they are not suitable for your kind of photpgraphy. You name problems no one else had with an M7.

But you will not sell the M7s. So what´s the point?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1