Advertisement (gone after registration)

Damn M7.

Sluggish cameras.  The AE was a bad implementation. Just like the M8/M9 shutters: so sluggish.

I’m on vacation with two M7s and a bunch of batteries. The heath kills the batteries much faster and I’m left shooting 1/125th @ f11-f16 most of the time.

Next time It’s good ole MP/M2/M4... never M7 for anything half serious. Just too sluggish all over.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Damn M7.

…. never M7 for anything half serious. Just too sluggish all over.

Yet you have two! 🤔

Didn’t you figure this issue out BEFORE you got the 2nd one, or for that matter took them both on vacation? Why didn’t you take one of the other versions with you?

Edited by OThomas

2 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

I’m on vacation with two M7s and a bunch of batteries

Maybe your bunch of batteries ?

Just in case, I never use M7(oh!) but had encountered "bad" batteries somewhere else.

Try sourcing in a trusty shop more bunch of trusty batteries.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Capuccino-Muffin:

The heath kills the batteries much faster

What kind of batteries are you using, man? In my M7, the batteries seemingly last for ages. I never take more than one set of spare batteries with me, and never had any battery related problems. And what do mean by sluggish bahaviour? My M7 is as responsive as my M3.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Damn M7.

Sluggish cameras.  The AE was a bad implementation. Just like the M8/M9 shutters: so sluggish.

I’m on vacation with two M7s and a bunch of batteries. The heath kills the batteries much faster and I’m left shooting 1/125th @ f11-f16 most of the time.

Next time It’s good ole MP/M2/M4... never M7 for anything half serious. Just too sluggish all over.

My M7, whether in manual or AE ls fast and responsive, metering is fabulous, and I've not had a fault in the 8 years I've had the camera.  However, I certainly don't get battery life like Kivis.  I too have an M3 and the delay comparing one vs sort-of-two stages when depressing the shutter release button is miniscule.

Sounds like you're talking about a different camera to the rest of us - very strange. Not had someone complain about this before and you do have 2 M7s. 

I am extremely sensitive to what I’m using. The feel, haptics.

To show the sluggishness of a M7, a Leicavit cannot shoot it over 2fps while a MP can go to 4 fps in skilled hands.

And the batteries, they last 50 films usually. I burn through 50 quite fast. But these hot days it looks like 15-20 rolls is the limit.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Capuccino-Muffin:

To show the sluggishness of a M7, a Leicavit cannot shoot it over 2fps while a MP can go to 4 fps in skilled hands.

And the batteries, they last 50 films usually. I burn through 50 quite fast. But these hot days it looks like 15-20 rolls is the limit.

I can lend you my F5. so you could burn through 50 rolls even faster. So you bought two M7 to not like the camera at all?

Interesting story....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

If you need to shoot at 4fps then I'd suggest that an SLR with motordrive would be a better choice of camera. I don't think of any M as a 'fast' camera.

Horses for courses!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, earleygallery said:

If you need to shoot at 4fps then I'd suggest that an SLR with motordrive would be a better choice of camera. I don't think of any M as a 'fast' camera.

Horses for courses!!

This simply means that when stretched, the M7 chokes where a MP horses on and on and on.

Basically, the M7 in my hands feels slouchy at all times. It is bearable for slow poke photography but totally unbearable for faster stuff. By faster, I mean simple sharpshooting street photography, no fps. There is that constant lack of instantaneous feedback as opposed to any other mecanical M or Barnack.

The M7, however, is totally instantanous when set on its mechanical speeds. As a test, it will not choke when set on its mechanical speeds with a Leicavit. 

Anyone who goes through at least 100 rolls within a month with a M7, like I do, should totally relate to mt experience. Anyone who shoots 3 rolls a month will miss the point, which is understandable.

Edited by Capuccino-Muffin

In my hands, the M7 was never slouchy and was a whiz at sharpshooting. Could not ask for more or better. AE or mechanical, what a great rig. Maybe you should check your hands or your attitude, I dare say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kivis said:

Maybe just sell the two and get something else. Photography should be a happy sport.

I appreciate the M7 for color photography, which always involves a circular polarizing filter. Measures the light exactly TTL and TTF (through the filter).

Also, I wouldn’t *totally* mind selling them but they are Black Paint a la carte x0.58  and every time I check, they seem to jump  in price by 100$ every month for the past 5 years...

25 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

This simply means that when stretched, the M7 chokes where a MP horses on and on and on.

Basically, the M7 in my hands feels slouchy at all times. It is bearable for slow poke photography but totally unbearable for faster stuff. By faster, I mean simple sharpshooting street photography, no fps. There is that constant lack of instantaneous feedback as opposed to any other mecanical M or Barnack.

The M7, however, is totally instantanous when set on its mechanical speeds. As a test, it will not choke when set on its mechanical speeds with a Leicavit. 

Anyone who goes through at least 100 rolls within a month with a M7, like I do, should totally relate to mt experience. Anyone who shoots 3 rolls a month will miss the point, which is understandable.

That is a lot of film!

• Like 1