Leica SL2-S Powered off V Mount battery

parkerfoster

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm currently a SL 601 owner and have been tempted to go to the SL2s for the USB-c powered options since I've been shooting more video and I'm used to cameras powering off v lock or gold mount or having a dummy battery to p-tap. I can't find really any article or discussion about people who are rigging up their SL2-s and powering it off a v lock or gold mount. Does anyone do this and what has the experience been like?

You'll want to have a look at this thread:

The short answer is that you need a USB-PD compliant power supply, which isn't the case with most V-Lock batteries that provide plain 5v 2A USB. The thread mentions some models that work. Unfortunately, not all power supplies that claim to support USB-PD work with all devices that make the same claim. It's not just a Leica issue, you'll run into the same problems with smartphones and laptops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey , 

I am doing just that. Using a V-mount battery to power the sl2s. 

I use these Batteries: https://bundlestar.de/akkus/v-mount/v-mount-akkus/181/patona-premium-v-mount-akku-bp-95w?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_viWBhD8ARIsAH1mCd46e_RPbXLk4WmH05qQzqXZssO_63TEkduXDUnvuYSxOKVNBPp_m6waAlcsEALw_wcB

And there is also the option to do this

d-tap to USB-C 

https://www.mediatec.de/objektive/zubehoer/tilta-micro-usb-to-dtap-cable-for-nucleus-n?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_viWBhD8ARIsAH1mCd6Lvybl4aAfvz-j7aFWYgHjA8id9Bz0_W8pesemoCKN8TE4Ltulse0aAkiMEALw_wcB

the other option I recommend are these Anker batteries

https://www.amazon.de/Anker-PowerCore-10000mAh-Powerbank-kompatibel-Black/dp/B091TSFZ74/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3KZ3BJ8FP3ECJ&keywords=ANKER+PowerCore+II+10000mAh+Power&qid=1658747138&sprefix=anker+powercore+ii+10000mah+power%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-3

Excellent for the power, when you are on the road. 

And since I use Anker , I never had any issue any more. 

The V mount I use mostly when I use a slider and I need more power. 

Kind regards 

Peter 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I saw these Smallrig v-mount batteries being reviewed on some YouTube channel and bought one (I bought the 50 WH version) and thought I hit pay dirt… a small form factor v-mount battery that has D-tap, USB-A, USB-C PD. Cool!

Unfortunately, the battery does not seem to be compatible with whatever version of PD Leica has implemented on the SL2-s… the battery only ever shows “5v” on the USB-C outlet. I just confirmed it can deliver 20v to my MacBook Pro, with enough watts to run it and charge the battery up to a certain point… if I run some intensive applications the laptop stops charging it’s battery but that is still impressive either way. Obviously the battery is capable of delivering whatever the camera needs (unsure if it is 9v or 12v) but something is breaking down in communication. 

I tried a few other USB-C PD devices I have and they are hit and miss… my Milwaukee MIL-2846-20 M18 TOP-OFF 175W Power Supply (which can also run my MacBook Pro with no issues) also gets the “device does not support enough power” error message on the SL2-S. Ironically, my Acebeam 18650 batteries (they have an integrated USB-C port) which do not seem to conform to USB-C standards when being charged, however they work just fine to power the SL2-S. 

It is disappointing that the Smallrig batteries do not work for powering the SL2-S but they are still pretty great…. They are still a perfect solution for powering the rest of my rig (Tilta focus servo, SmallHD monitor or Odyssey 7q recorder), and having the ports integrated is great. The battery can even be charged via USB-C which is super convenient for travel. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...