Sign in to follow this  
Kent10D

M8 & EOS-1DIII Comparison

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shot the 1dMKIII along side the M8 when i did a show in NY and besides the big factor and such it did handle very nice and fast but the image quality just did not match the M8 on any level and even the pro that had the new canon agreed after we went and processed images. He also liked the look of the leica images but the canon 1dMKII is a great tool for folks that really need a DSLR and that kind of speed that it has. I owned the 1dMKII and it was a great body for what it was designed to do. Really is comparing a apple to a orange so not that relevent but what you need is.

I shot the 1dMKIII along side the M8 when i did a show in NY and besides the big factor and such it did handle very nice and fast but the image quality just did not match the M8 on any level and even the pro that had the new canon agreed after we went and processed images. He also liked the look of the leica images but the canon 1dMKII is a great tool for folks that really need a DSLR and that kind of speed that it has. I owned the 1dMKII and it was a great body for what it was designed to do. Really is comparing a apple to a orange so not that relevent but what you need is.

That pretty much agrees with what I'm experiencing at the moment. It handles well, but the size and weight kinda dampen my enthusiasm for actually handling it. The image quality at ISO 1600 or even 3200 falls into the "surprisingly usable" category, which makes it an excellent choice for some applications. My understanding is that it's aimed primarily at sports shooters, and with that 10 fps burst speed it would do a great job. But in terms of overall IQ I'm still sold on the M8. No doubt about it.

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes for sports and long lens stuff , pretty damn hard to beat in that arena and that was the design for it and Canon did a good job, but even it had some serious AF issues on release but i think they have that straightened out now. But it is a brick , they really could make it a touch smaller

Should not the comparison discount trees which are susceptible to wind/movement depending on the time it was taken?

Should not the comparison discount trees which are susceptible to wind/movement depending on the time it was taken?

A valid concern! Although it was a very still day.

Here are a pair of crops of a section of the wall with the same settings as the previous pair.

* Top or left: EOS with sharpening amount 80.

* Bottom or right: M8 with sharpening amount 50.

The difference in detail seen through the "windows" is also interesting. The crops are the same size (328 x 328), so the difference in framing is probably largely due to difference between 24 and 25 mm focal lengths.

Thanks Ken but you are beating a dead horse, don't you think. Everyone with a M8 and Leica lenses, or good lenses from another maker, knows that the Leica will out perform any camera/lens combo from another name brand SLR.

In my opinion the biggerest difference is the optics. Leica and Zeiss glas can't be topped.

Second comes the mirror slap of all SLR cameras.

This notion, that no DSLR/lens combo can challenge the M8, already facing a stiff test from the 5D and the1Ds, looks set to receive yet more interesting competition in the newest offerings by Nikon and Canon.

I am a rangefinder user mostly for reasons of shooting style, and am quite pleased overall with my M8.Like it or not, though, the day would seem near when the two DSLR giants will pull ahead with technical image quality. The often cited mirror slap problem, by the way, is not insurmountable.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I'm happy to see sensor performance nowadays is such that we're back to the good old days of film: the quality of the image is not so much determined by the box but by the lens.

camera choice is back to the old dichtomy between SLR and RF.

camera choice is back to the old dichtomy between SLR and RF.

Which is why I haven't used an SLR since January. By pure coincidence I bought my M8 in the same month <grin>

Which is why I haven't used an SLR since January. By pure coincidence I bought my M8 in the same month <grin>

A very lucky happenstance, I must say, since otherwise there would have been a hole in your photography!

Thanks Kent, for taking the time to do this test and show us. I think it is indeed relevant.

I have a 1Ds II and find that it is better at higher ISO, that the jpgs looks better right out of the box, but that the M8 produces some extraordinary results after post handling. Both cameras demands raw file adjustments. The 1Ds II demands quite a lot of sharpening while the M8 delivers sharp files right out of the box. The post handling is different for the two cameras and demand some time to getting used to. - Then it is the optics... etc.

To map out the differences; that is a job for Sean Reid...

A valid concern! Although it was a very still day.

Here are a pair of crops of a section of the wall with the same settings as the previous pair.

* Top or left: EOS with sharpening amount 80.

* Bottom or right: M8 with sharpening amount 50.

The difference in detail seen through the "windows" is also interesting. The crops are the same size (328 x 328), so the difference in framing is probably largely due to difference between 24 and 25 mm focal lengths.

Thanks for sharing and for the work that went into it.

Thanks for the effort Kent, but you really need to use a Leica lens on the Canon for comparison.

I bought the 5D 2 years ago to connect (via adapter) with Leica R lenses.

The image then jumps out somewhat, especially with a current asph lens like the 50/1.4.

[but I think I might sell my 5D now that I have the M8

]

Thanks for the effort Kent, but you really need to use a Leica lens on the Canon for comparison...

I bought the 5D 2 years ago to connect (via adapter) with Leica R lenses...

I beg to differ. Leica R lenses are designed to go on Leica R cameras. Canons have their own lenses. If one wishes to use a hybrid system so be it, but frankly a proper comparison is a system comparison IMO.

Cheers,

I beg to differ. Leica R lenses are designed to go on Leica R cameras. Canons have their own lenses. If one wishes to use a hybrid system so be it, but frankly a proper comparison is a system comparison IMO.

Cheers,

Usefeet is absolutely right - this comparison is titled M8 and 1DMkIII - not 24-70 and 25 Biogon. And what would be the difference between using a Leica lens on the Canon and using Ziess on the Leica, (a hybrid system)?

Usefeet is absolutely right - this comparison is titled M8 and 1DMkIII - not 24-70 and 25 Biogon. And what would be the difference between using a Leica lens on the Canon and using Ziess on the Leica, (a hybrid system)?

Irrespective of the title, the system comparison is implied. Canons don't come with Leica R lenses.

Irrespective of the title, the system comparison is implied. Canons don't come with Leica R lenses.

But Leicas come with Zeiss lenses?

You did see that the test is of a Canon system (with less than topend optics) and a "hybrid" Leica/uncoded Zeiss system, right?

Most people would not infer the "system" aspect you did in the context of this thread, I am afraid.

But Leicas come with Zeiss lenses?

You did see that the test is of a Canon system (with less than topend optics) and a "hybrid" Leica/uncoded Zeiss system, right?

Most people would not infer the "system" aspect you did in the context of this thread, I am afraid.

Where did I infer that Leicas come with Zeiss optics?

Ken was able to perform an ad hoc comparison and never claimed that it was more than that. This being said, whether most people infer system to system comparison is really secondary. The bottom line is that a proper comparison should be between systems, i.e cameras AND lenses. I agree that one shoud compare the best of each sytem to get a "truer" outcome.

Cheers,

Yes for sports and long lens stuff , pretty damn hard to beat in that arena and that was the design for it and Canon did a good job, but even it had some serious AF issues on release but i think they have that straightened out now. But it is a brick , they really could make it a touch smaller

Hi Guy,

The 1D3 still has AF problems, and Canon has yet to explain the issue(s). That said, Leica never did either. This makes it very difficult to know whether/when to buy the camera. The Nikon D3 looks like a better replacement for the 1D2. I downloaded and printed their ISO 3200 file, and I have never seen anything close to this from my 1D2 or 1Ds2.

As for size, I think the 1D3 is a bit lighter than the previous models, but I can fit an M8 and three lenses in the space required for one Canon and a 50 f1.2 lens. The M8 is almost always with me. The Canons go only when they are traveling along to be used.

Bill