Leica M and travel photography

gettons

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello fellow Leica users,

I am a proud owner of a Leica Q2 Reporter and Leica M10-R + 28mm Summicron ASPH v2. First of all, I love shooting with both, for different reasons, but I would love to minimise my gear and only keep one of the two.

As a shooting experience, I like the M10-R more (OVF), but since I do use my camera for lots of travelling (not necessarily to other countries, but yes having a single camera with a single lens has its advantages for my use case), I tend to use the Q2.

Not a problem, but what makes me a little hesistant with the M10-R is that, although we all know it' s built like a tank, I would inevitably worry about sand if I go shoot on the beach (even if I pay attention etc...), or a drizzle if I am out, but more than anything what if the rangefinder goes out of alignement while I am, say, on a trip somewhere? I know, I should bring a second body anyway, as even the Q2 could go bonkers for some reason...

I guess my question is whether anyone has suggestions as to how to minimise the chances of a rangefinder misalignement and/or if there is a way to adjust it myself if that happens? This would just be for my very peace of mind, in fact I think if I knew there was a way not to risk a trip due to this issue when using an M10-R, I would be more than happy to use that instead of the Q2 anyday of the year.

Note: I say M10-R but the rangefinder issue obviously applies to any Leica M.

The rangefinder won't just wander out of alignment on a new camera, it would take something to happen to the camera, like you dropped it, in which case there may be other problems. Sand is the same for any camera, just be sensible on the beach, and rain is ok, the camera is weather sealed, it just isn't water proof, so common sense is all that's needed, use a cloth to dry it off every now and then. 

The issue of backup cameras can be over emphasised, the culture of having to have two of everything is very evident with worried camera users. I think it's sensible to carry another camera on a trip, and my only criteria is that it's something that maintains the ethos of your main camera. So if it's all about lenses something with a good lens, or capturing action a camera that has fast shutter speeds, etc. So for my film M's my backup camera is not another film M but an Olympus XA or RC35, both superb lenses and don't take up much space in the camera bag, and if my film M conked out I'd feel happy I could still make some good photos. For my digital M my backup camera is an Olympus 'Tough' TG5, I figure if it's lashing it down with rain, or sand is blowing about I may as well have a camera that can shrug it off and even go underwater if I fall in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gettons said:

I say M10-R but the rangefinder issue obviously applies to any Leica M.

All cameras are relatively delicate, precision instruments. Rangefinders, dSLRs and EVFs can ALL have probems. The classic solution is to carry a spare camera body. If you don't want to carry a spare then you have to decide on how you feel about the reliability/toughness of camera that you intend to use and this applies to any camera. Equipment CAN fail but is not likely to do so in all honesty, despite all the doom and gloom that you will read from the disgruntled on the internet. So its more about how you percieve risk than anything else. There is a thread about filters which has a similar answer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hans-Dieter Gülicher said:

I have the Q2, the M 10-R and the S3. I will go to Alasaka/Canada for 8 weeks in August/September. As I am a manual landscap photographer since earlier days I prefer my M 10-R plus APO-Summicron 35 mm plus Visofelex 2 packed in a small and handy Oberwerth camera bag.

Regards Hans

I see, I have a Visoflex too, not the latest version though. I purchased that also IF the rangefinder goes out of alignement and I do still want to use a finder for focus peaking as opposed to the back screen. Is this why you are also bringing the Visoflex 2 perhaps? Or for critical focus?

As you my know the new Apo-Summicron 35 mm (with floating elements) can be used in case of near distances up to 30 cm. This is the mean reason I have it. On the other hand I like the new Visoflex 1 or 2 (and not the monitor with possibbe reflections) because it provides you with the exact preview of picture sizes.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a proud owner of a Leica Q2 Reporter and Leica M10-R + 28mm Summicron ASPH v2. First of all, I love shooting with both, for different reasons, but I would love to minimise my gear and only keep one of the two...

@gettons  Based on personal experience, I would urge you to keep all three pieces of kit.

I have been shooting with Leica gear for 24 years now and have traded in a few pieces of gear to get other M bodies or lenses.  90% of the time, I have come to regret doing so. 

With Leica prices being what they are, it is way easier to sell off a camera or lens than it is to replace it six months down the road when you realize your error - and if you can replace your camera or lens, you will pay more for its replacement than you got out of the original piece when you sold it off.  Leica gear does hold its value better than most, but in the short term selling and replacing is always a losing proposition.

At the end of the day it's your call, but think hard before doing something you well may come to regret six months down the road.