35mm summicron ASPH v2 lens hood issue

69xchange

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just picked up a 35mm summicron asph v2 (w/ metal lens hood)and notice that the lens hood doesn’t screw on all the way smoothly. The initial threading and turning is fine but once it gets near the end (about 90 degree rotation remaining) it requires quite a bit of force to tighten it so the dot on the lens hood lines up with the selected aperture. for example if the aperture is selected at f2, the resistance for screwing the lens hood on starts when the dot of the lens hood is around f16.

is anyone else’s35mm summicron asph v2 similar or should it screw in all the way normally with a flick of a finger?

thanks

I've got the Summicron 35mm ASPH v2 and also the Elmarit 28mm ASPH v2 which both share the same type of hood. Towards the end when screwing on the hoods on both lenses it gets a bit tighter and I think it's a part of the design to ensure the hoods stick to where they should be. I would not say that I need to use a "bit of force" but that's of course relative. The extra tightness feels just right.

Best,

Fred