M10-R Black Paint still in Production

trequartista

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update:

Mine just arrived. Directly shipped from Germany even though I ordered it on Leica France on-line store. At least it's confirmed now that it's still in production, unlike some of the previous information that I got from local Leica boutique employees that they're all gone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, timo01 said:

what a beauty!

Yeh, the paint is really gorgeous. My 11-year old M9 is also black paint but this is a different level of finish. Love the white engraving as well. I love the black engraving on my silver M-A as well but the white on black on M10-R BP is just gorgeous.

I'll be taking my new M10-R BP and M-A to my vacations coming up next week in Puglia. Can't wait!

• Like 4

One finding: even though the M10-R I received is fresh out of the factory, the firmware version is 20.20.47.37, while the latest on the website is 30.22.11.52. Most other camera makers would have had the latest firmware installed for newly manufactured bodies. I wonder why Leica doesn't do that.

3 hours ago, knopfler1976 said:

One finding: even though the M10-R I received is fresh out of the factory, the firmware version is 20.20.47.37, while the latest on the website is 30.22.11.52. Most other camera makers would have had the latest firmware installed for newly manufactured bodies. I wonder why Leica doesn't do that.

This version was released more than a year ago, and the latest one was like a month ago or so? They should have enough time to upgrade it or it was just a left over stock in the shelf?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, knopfler1976 said:

It’s not a newly manufactured body. They are produced in batches and stored. It’s probably out of production a while now and pulled from stock. What was the packing date on the outer grey box?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think it has been recently produced. They have them in warehouse and release them in batches. Meanwhile, congratulation! I got mine in march and I still got myself just watching it. It is superb in estethic and functionality. Here is in "company" with M 240 and lenses - 35 APO, 28 Summilux, 50 Summilux and 75 Summarit.

• Like 3

Looks best.. love mine too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaticB said:

I don't think it has been recently produced. They have them in warehouse and release them in batches. Meanwhile, congratulation! I got mine in march and I still got myself just watching it. It is superb in estethic and functionality. Here is in "company" with M 240 and lenses - 35 APO, 28 Summilux, 50 Summilux and 75 Summarit.

Nice amoury you have there! Also we have two lenses in common (APO 35mm & Summilux 28mm). For 50mm I have Noctilux f/0.95. Can't wait to see if Noctilux could handle 40M pixels as I have been shooting it only on the 18M M9 for 11 years!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaticB said:

Yes, they allocate batches of numbers (and sometimes doesn't use them all in a series). It can be as strange as this; that my Leica M11 is a lower serial number than my M10-R Black Paint. 

I asked Leica if they had decided to make a new batch, and Stefan Daniel said "Some very few cameras have recently been assembled, as we had to wait for several parts. But no new batch…"

God damn, it's a beautiful camera!

Edited by Overgaard
S Daniel quote
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Overgaard said:

Yes, they allocate batches of numbers (and sometimes doesn't use them all in a series). It can be as strange as this; that my Leica M11 is a lower serial number than my M10-R Black Paint. 

I asked Leica if they had decided to make a new batch, and Stefan Daniel said "Some very few cameras have recently been assembled, as we had to wait for several parts. But no new batch…"

It is indeed a gorgeous camera as you said in your M11 video @Overgaard, from which ironically M10-R BP was the takeaway for me. lol

This is a gorgeous photo as well. Genius to use with a classical instrument as a hot prop. Lesson learnt for me!

• Like 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Overgaard:

A pairing made in heaven: M10-R BP and 50 APO Summicron BP LHSA ... as far as I can see ....

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 4:02 PM, knopfler1976 said:

Update:

Mine just arrived. Directly shipped from Germany even though I ordered it on Leica France on-line store. At least it's confirmed now that it's still in production, unlike some of the previous information that I got from local Leica boutique employees that they're all gone.

It doesnt mean, it is still in production though. It means it is still available to purchase new. I got mine in early 2022 and mine has serial 56558xx, i.e. newer serial than yours. 

But great to know, they are still available new. My guess is, Leica did one production run of the M10R BP and that’s it. But aparently still not sold out.

Some honest to god brassing, no sandpaper necessary. All around I've found the finish to be very hard wearing, and lovely to the feel. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Wonzo said:

A pairing made in heaven: M10-R BP and 50 APO Summicron BP LHSA ... as far as I can see ....

Yes it is, the LHSA black paint APO. I would love to have a 50mm Summilux-M ASPH f/1.4 Black Paint (the Black Chrome version I have, but black paint would be perfect).

Edited by Overgaard
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 10:01 PM, Cthulhu said:

No longer..

I’m one of the lucky ones who got one last year.

I would get any M10R regardless of paint finish while they’re still making them (over the M11)  

Why over the M11? Maybe it's covered in some other post..

On 8/18/2022 at 11:02 PM, knopfler1976 said:

Update:

This is certainly not straight out of the factory

The serial number of my BP, which I bought last November in Tokyo, is 30-odd later than that. They are obviously keeping some back, possibly by region, to be let out in batches, thus keeping control of the numbers.

Edited by nodrog