A most desirable firmware WISH

usefeet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is exactly what it is supposed to do and it does it well enough to make IR a non issue when using the filters and profiles. It is an average correction even for the lenses it was intended for. Changes in light, aperture and perhaps exposure have an effect that the profiles can't adjust for. But they work well enough to eliminate the problem in real world photography both for supported lenses and some unsupported lenses as well.

Diluted your own argument, well, enough.

The IR sensitivity and the required use of filters is not a selling feature -it's not a benefit that gives the camera a leg up on the competition. It's an unintended fault and minimizing the impact of a product fault on perspective and current owners seems a no-brainer. Leica has striven to make the M8 live up to the standard of the film M's -this would get the digital camera closer to parity with the film cameras on M mount lens compatibility.

There is no competition, no "in its class", no digital rangefinder currently in production other than the M8. The "IR Issue" has been summarily removed from all other digital cameras, and replaced with "image stabilized, contrast enhanced" DiGiTsAlLdOnEiNCaMeRa chips... and folks think Leica is pulling a proprietary "use our stuff or..." style campaign?

The good that may come from a "menu selector" is in the EXIF, recording this info. With a true 14bit raw dump, tagged with EXIF(XMP?), this whole "IR Issue" could more accurately, and more professionally delt with in the raw conversion. No, you must still use an IR filter, BUT, a post-proc converter may be more easily maintained(that's the key here) and coded to accomodate B+W, Heliopan, Tiffen, Hoya and Leica IR filters.

You folks think Leica/Janoptik coders are the only folks who can write the algo to correct for wides, etc?

You want "professional grade" power? Get Leica to put a 14bit raw dump item in the menu. If you don't know what to do with the data, that's another menu item you can skip ;)

Please note that the only fix for the "IR Issue" is a filter. Be it on the lens, or managed somehow on the sensor in a later rev of the hardware. This "but the user selectable menu will eliminate the IR problem" drizzle is simply nonsense.

rgds,

Dave

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>Please note that the only fix for the "IR Issue" is a filter. Be it on the lens, or managed somehow on the sensor in a later rev of the hardware. This "but the user selectable menu will eliminate the IR problem" drizzle is simply nonsense.<<<

Now getting to the bottom line as applied to me (and I image many others like me):

I have the M8, and I have ALL the IR/UV filters now (including 2 free from Leica, thanks), and except for one 15mm VC, I have a bunch of expensive Leica lenses.

It would be VERY convenient not to send all of these lenses half way around the world for 6-bit coding (not to mention cost and risk),

when all I have to do is apply by menu selection the firmware correction already incorporated in my camera, instead of using auto with code,

...I suppose, just like selecting exposure speed manually, instead of using the auto AE :)

BTW, I really appreciated all the comments on this thread, I gained a lot of knowledge, and can see that the firmware menu under discussion is a great possibilty!