A most desirable firmware WISH

usefeet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One think has been in my mind for some time, long before I bought my camera:

I wish the M8 menu would allow me to select the lens I choose.

This would not only save me the expense of sending my lenses for coding, but allow me to experiment too.

(I also notice that on his website, ReidReviews, Sean Reid has been pushing for this option too.

As a former firmware programmer, I can't see any technical problems with this utility being applied.

Anyone with good LEICA connections, please push for this option! :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leica's answer:

"Technically, this would be feasible, but we think that a manual selection would bring the risk of forgetting to change the settings when changing a lens. This is particulary dangerous, because the settings also influence DNG files."

;):rolleyes:

Leica's answer:

"Technically, this would be feasible, but we think that a manual selection would bring the risk of forgetting to change the settings when changing a lens. This is particulary dangerous, because the settings also influence DNG files."

This may be the case for now, but there in no reason why this decision cannot be reversed.

Careful thought on implementation, and we have it!

Perhaps initially just for wide angle lenses only, ..and an icon on the LCD screen to remind us.

This topic has been endlessly discussed before.

My own view is that such a menu would remove a competitive advantage current Leica lenses have over their competition because they are coded and would therefore be injurious to Leica's lens sales.

For those with other manufacturers' lenses, or older Leica lenses which cannot be coded, there are a number of self-coding solutions, ranging from having the lens mount milled to marking with a pen using some sort of template.

By Leica's own admission in their new FAQ, there are other complex issues which are being addressed in firmware and they should have higher priority. As a some-of-the-time JPEG user, I'd like to see further work on JPEG image quality as well.

I know I'm a newbie ... but still: I bought the M8 BECAUSE I want to do things manually. I'm constantly aware that I'm in control, so I'm responsible for settings and such. So what's this with Leica's answer " risk of forgetting ..". Even if that was a real obstruction, it would be just as simple to write the program so that you can choose if you want the option on or off.

Now you could forget that you switched the option to "on" ...

Oh well. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't see much difference between this and me shooting for 30 minutes in daylight with a high iso from the night before.

Once you pop the lens on you make the change. My Nikon D200 does this for manual lenses.

John

Don't shoot, I am with you, that's why I put the ;):rolleyes: after Leica's answer... The reason is -of course- that Leica doesn't want to give this advantage to the 3rd party manufacturers, especially now that the "light" Summarit-M class lenses will be available. :D

This topic has been endlessly discussed before.

My own view is that such a menu would remove a competitive advantage current Leica lenses have over their competition because they are coded and would therefore be injurious to Leica's lens sales.

For those with other manufacturers' lenses, or older Leica lenses which cannot be coded, there are a number of self-coding solutions, ranging from having the lens mount milled to marking with a pen using some sort of template.

By Leica's own admission in their new FAQ, there are other complex issues which are being addressed in firmware and they should have higher priority. As a some-of-the-time JPEG user, I'd like to see further work on JPEG image quality as well.

I haven't seen this endless topic before Mark and apologize.

But now that I have an M8, it's something I wish I could have.

Leica have a lot of lens models from the past to the current, and therefore a generic user setting would be very useful (to me), if only for wide angle lenses.

For perfection you already have the current ASPH lenses and codes, ..but we don't all have these.

I appreciate that there are priority levels LEICA need to work through, but I am happy to wait if this could be added to their list for future firmware upgrade.

We already have options to White Balance, Compression, Sharpening, etc. etc. which I hardly use, but this one I would. :D

Guest GuyMancusoPhoto

This debate has gone on for quite sometime but the bottom line is it is a internal debate for leica on what they want to do on this. It's a tough call for them for many reasons.

This debate has gone on for quite sometime but the bottom line is it is a internal debate for leica on what they want to do on this. It's a tough call for them for many reasons.

I can understand leica's uncertainty as to whether they will sell more M8 bodies and ultimately other Leica products (lenses have been particularly profitable in the past) if they offer the user more access to the camera's capabilities, versus selling more Leica lenses today to today's M8 buyers by giving only those lenses the advantage of the camera's built-in capabilities.

But Leica has chosen to make lens selection available in a rather clumsy way, for the WATE, where you need to reassure it that your focal length has not changed each time you start up. If they rethink lens selection so that it becomes less obstructive, it might be easier to consider making it an available option. This does run into the "protect all of you from yourselves" mentality, which has guided the construction of the firmware so far.

scott

Leica's answer:

As I've told Leica several times, this argument is weak. Consider the following hypothetically:

"Technically, this would be feasible, but we think that a manual aperture ring would bring the risk of forgetting to change the aperture. This is particularly dangerous, because the settings also influence DNG files."

"Technically, this would be feasible, but we think that a manual shutter speed dial would bring the risk of forgetting to change the shutter speed. This is particularly dangerous, because the settings also influence DNG files."

"Technically, this would be feasible, but we think that a manual ISO setting would bring the risk of forgetting to change the ISO. This is particularly dangerous, because the settings also influence DNG files."

Etc. This is not a hand-holding camera.

Never say never with the menu selection but patience is certainly a virtue here.

Cheers,

Sean

I admit I have forgot to change the lens selection menu (16, 18, 21) a few times when using the WATE. Yes, it is frustrating. However, I have also forgot to change the ISO on occasion. Sean's makes a good point.

If Leica were to add a lens selection menu for all focal lengths via firmware, they could easily include a default setting which would let the M8 work the same way it does today. This would give the owner a choice whether to risk forgetting to change the lens selection menu.

Personally, I now have all of my lens (both Leica and CV) coded with filters so it isn't big deal for me at the moment, but it could be a benefit to me for future lens purchases. I know this topic has been discussed at length on this forum, but I couldn't help but comment.

Mark Gowin

I'm with Sean on this--that shutter speed dial is pretty scary. I don't know if most people realize it, but if you manually take it of the red Achtung position it can really mess up the DNGS. I've actually had them turn all black or all white when I did this by accident. I'm all for safety with this camera, including the framelines too. I mean, think about it--these picture are already cutting off almost all the world. The last thing we want is to lose even more of it. Leica's really on the right track here and I congratulate them.

Guest tummydoc

I would be happy if Leica decided to put lens selection in a menu. Happy because it would put an end to the continual whining. I have a Nikon D200, and whilst accessing a menu and changing settings whenever fitting different lens is not difficult, it does add perhaps 15-20 seconds to the process. Not enough to bother someone who is merely playing around with his stash of lenses, but I can see where it's enough time for the light to change or subjects to move, negating the reason for switching lenses in the first place.

Leica Forum Definition 19-62A and B:

Whining: The act perceived when person B asks for a feature or improvement that person A does not value.

Legitimate, Reasonable and Valuable Request and/or Concern: The idea expressed when person B asks for a feature or improvement that person A does value.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

Time will tell folks , time will tell. There is pressure being applied but it is really in there court.

BTW i am back to my orginial account, thanks Andreas for fixing the accounts of us lost in the server glitch.

i figured an elegant workaround. stick a piece of tape with a code for an old tri-elmar on a code reader, and you have a manual selection for three lenses :)

i can certainly understand leica apprehension in this matter, but it is just a matter of time before some teenaged computer wiz come up with a software patch for his father's M8 firmware :) after all, iPhone officially is on it's knees as of the last week despite all joined apple and at&t attempts. so, a dignified thing for Leica to do would be just bite the bullet and do it before that blasted teenager :)