50mm dilemma: 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux vs 50mm f/2 APO Summicron

Pierre68

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Pierre68 said:

I am more like exploring the possibilities that different lenses offer.

So clear that you need to buy the two so different lenses,

not at same time, but after using one, so you'll know better, if it is not for you, you can trade it for the next one.

...and so on...

(my logic can be a bit "tirée par les cheveux", though I accept every other's opinions)

There can never be any dilemma. There can only be the 50/1.4 ASPH.

Edit: ok, doesn't help in this case 🙂 I would get the Noctilux then, more character and you have other, compact lenses. Maybe even get a prestine f/1 in latest version.

Edited by insomnia
  • Like 1

I have the 50 APO Summicron-M ASPH, the Summilux-M ASPH and the 0.95 Noctilux, and would hate to have to choose between them.

I don’t buy into the idea that the Noct is not an all round lens - it has an aperture ring you can use, and Erwin Puts commented that the Noct and the Summilux are pretty much indistinguishable stopped down.  Having the Noct gives you the option of the extra stop.  Sure, it’s big, but if you come from SLR cameras, it’s diminutive.

The APO is lovely (mine’s the black chrome version), and it’s probably the best all rounder.  The other two are very special, though …

• Like 2

It’s bit pointless discussion, you’ll get them both eventually. They are so different lenses that you’ll lust the other lens all the time what you didn’t acquire.

When you have them all, you start to lust all special edition lenses.

It’s a endless rabbit hole.

17 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

I have the 50 APO Summicron-M ASPH, the Summilux-M ASPH and the 0.95 Noctilux, and would hate to have to choose between them.

I don’t buy into the idea that the Noct is not an all round lens - it has an aperture ring you can use, and Erwin Puts commented that the Noct and the Summilux are pretty much indistinguishable stopped down.  Having the Noct gives you the option of the extra stop.  Sure, it’s big, but if you come from SLR cameras, it’s diminutive.

The APO is lovely (mine’s the black chrome version), and it’s probably the best all rounder.  The other two are very special, though …

Yes yes and yes, exactly my point was… i have ‘em too.. thr only difference  of noctilux compared to summilux except for its size is its focus throw, i wouldnt even call it a downside, only it suits better for different occasions

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can report that "happily", I don't have either one 😁.

When many years ago, at the launch of 0.95/50, I had possibility to try  one, by then I saw that this nice lens would not "replace" (if possible)

my old/trusty Noctilux 1.0 ( E58 ! by chance I didn't know that when I bought it so long ago).

The Apo-Summicron-M asph. that I thought buying some day, but never done it untill now.

Apo M lenses that I use are plenty enough for my need.

2 minutes ago, jakontil said:

Take the noct 1.2 reissue into consideration but that’s for another thread

Thanks (but why not), or for a while ...

🤐

No again for now with asph.

So many years ago, a friend lent me his original Noctilux 1.2.

I used it quite a bit, then decide that these aspherical glasses were if very good (for many good photographers comprising the friend who lent it to me)

not for me.

Strange indeed, I quite know so well the spherical 1.0 that any other Noctilux (with aspheric glasses) would-not-do.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Thanks (but why not), or for a while ...

🤐

No again for now with asph.

So many years ago, a friend lent me his original Noctilux 1.2.

I used it quite a bit, then decide that these aspherical glasses were if very good (for many good photographers comprising the friend who lent it to me)

not for me.

Strange indeed, I quite know so well the spherical 1.0 that any other Noctilux (with aspheric glasses) would-not-do.

Yeah some of my frens too swore by the F1 and those ppl also tried the other version of noctilux and they just went back to the F1 !! 😀,  .. one thing i dislike was its heavy vignettes and for its size

35 minutes ago, jakontil said:

Yeah some of my frens too swore by the F1 and those ppl also tried the other version of noctilux and they just went back to the F1 !! 😀,  .. one thing i dislike was its heavy vignettes and for its size

As I wrote/said so often every Noctilux is NOT for everyone.

Happily, I lend to many "friends" over many years (also ! ) my beloved Noctilux 1.0 for them to "learn by themselves" what is all about.

I can say that some are "done" understanding better though many things, while other searched 😜 actively (I don't sell mine at any price) for Noctilux 1.0.

For me the only "magic" Noctilux, and I understand quite well why other Noctiluxes and clones exist.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, oka said:

It’s bit pointless discussion, you’ll get them both eventually. They are so different lenses that you’ll lust the other lens all the time what you didn’t acquire.

When you have them all, you start to lust all special edition lenses.

No, no, no...then you start a new thread..."I have too many lenses, which ones should I get rid of?" 😂

I once had a 50 /0.95 ...but I didn't use it enough. For me the 50 APO is my most used lens. I am fine with f2.0 shallow DOF.

Specially with a manual focus camera. Besides I believe 0.95 is difficult to focus for everything non static, I also want smaller lenses for the M.

But no doubt the Nocti can deliver a special bokeh/shallow dof.

• Like 2

Interesting dilemma which I recently addressed for myself in a comparison of 4 x premium Leica 50mm lenses. I chose the 0.95 Noctilux over the APO summicron M because it had so much more character. The APO M I found a little 'boring' in my opinion. It's very sharp but if perfect optical performance is what you seek then check out the 50 APO SL, which I really can't fault. It's a much better performer than the APO M. 

Obviously the APO SL won't fit on an M camera, so if you want similar but not the same performance get the M version.

I really love the APO SL because of it's insane precision, sharpness and buttery smooth bokeh, but I definitely do not feel the same about the APO M version. Maybe I would if it could do close focus like the 35mm APO M. Bokeh on the 50 APO M lens was pleasing, but not as rich as the Summilux, the APO SL (using close focussing) or the Noctilux. I also managed to force purple fringing on the APO M, which I could not do on the APO SL at any point.

You did say you already have the Noctilux f1.2 so not sure an f0.95 will add too much other than slightly improved low-light that you don't already have. You mentioned that you do a lot of portraits, so I am also guessing that for the money you'll spend on the APO M, you'd probably enjoy the Noctilux f0.95 even more. You'll get all the sharpness you need from your Summilux ASPH. 

I still have my Summilux for portability, but if I can, I've usually got the Noctilux with me because it's very special and suits my needs perfectly.

Just my personal experience. As you may gather, I'm also a huge 50mm fan. 🙂

In your shoes I would look at the 50 APO. The Noctilux is a very different lens (obviously) but the all-around usage characteristics of the 50 APO I think make the most sense. Unless you really want to shoot at f/.95 often and/or really need the ISO performance it offers. All else, I think the 50 APO is the more useful choice.

• Like 1