Future Sigma Lens for SL

snommis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I am at a crossroad. Getting rid of my DSLR cameras and Nikon lenses except as for now my 400 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. Basically use the D850 for wildlife or sports. But love my M10 and MP as well as the Q2 and thinking of dumping everything and going to the SL system as well. But what is holding me back is the long lens selection. Sure the 150-600 Sigma is long but the f stop is what is keeping me away. I love the creamy bokeh from the 2.8 that the 400 gives. But I looked on Sigma website and I see they have a 500 f/4. Does anyone know if they plan on making all of their lenses L-Mount as well or just a select few. I had at one time the 120-300 2.8 zoom and although compared to the Nikon 400 2.8 was very soft. So this is keeping me at the, should I just get the Z9 and stay in the Nikon camp for wildlife or dump it all and go SL and be all Leica and hope someday Sigma or someone else does a exotic fast glass. A few photos of the nice background I get with the 400 2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

As you already have a Nikon kit for sports and wildlife, I strongly suggest you stick with it rather than try the SL system. The SL2 and SL2-S AF is not good enough for anything that moves and you’ll be left frustrated. Until Leica/Panasonic adds phase detect AF to aid their contrast detect, I wouldn’t bother with AFc mode on any of the Panasonic and Leica bodies. Ironically the Sigma fpL has phase detect AF but lacks a stacked sensor or physical shutter so there’s massive rolling shutter issues on that camera.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, snommis said:

Does anyone know if they plan on making all of their lenses L-Mount as well or just a select few.

All of Sigma's newer "DG DN" (mirrorless full frame) lenses are available in L-Mount, but they probably won't re-release older super-telephotos in this mount (or in Sony's mount).

It's hard to know what will happen with Sigma's super tele lineup (200-500/2.8, 500/4.0) . They've been making these showcase lenses for a long time, but the market may be melting-away with the demise of Canon's EOS mount and Nikon's F mount. Those two companies haven't licensed their newer mirrorless mounts to third parties, so maybe there isn't a business case for big lenses at this time. You can always keep one Nikon body to use with your 400/2.8. It's big enough and expensive enough to justify the extra bulk.

Your 70-200/2.8 is easy to replace. Panasonic sells a very good one, and Sigma is rumoured to release a similar lens shortly.

As far as AF is concerned, some people will tell you that it can't be done with any L-Mount camera, while others post wonderful long-lens shots taken with L-Mount cameras. I guess it  depends on how much you rely on continuous AF tracking. Single-shot AF is fast with L-Mount cameras, but tracking isn't as good as with "phase detect" cameras. I wouldn't be too worried with the shots that you posted (still, centered subjects), but Canon and Nikon are market leaders if you want to track moving animals, Formula One cars, Olympic athletes, etc.

• Like 3

Wildlife and sports are the two areas where the SL system is weakest because of the autofocus.   I have experimented with using  the Leica 90-280 and the Sigma 150-600 to shoot both Wildlife and High School Level baseball with a SL2.  My Canon RF system yields constantly sharper images because of focus issues.   In my experience with my now retired D850 I got better results on sports and wildlife with my 70-200 E version 2.8  and the wondrous 500mm 5.6 pf lens than I can get with my SL2 kit.  If you already have experience with a Nikon 400mm 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 E version the SL2 system is a step backward  for sports and wildlife.    For static subjects that can be shot a focal lengths shorter than 280mm the SL2 system wins but not for rapidly moving subjects or where the depth of field isolation from f2.8 lens is critical.  

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the SL's are not in the category of the Sony's & Canon's for action, even though that mantra is getting a little stale. They're not as weak as made out to be.

Once you figure out the settings on the SL's that work for your style of photography, action images are not a big deal, and I'm not a machine gunner. What the SL's do also offer is simplicity & straightforward menus, without countless buttons & superfluous functions, something I personally consider most important.

This image was taken with the SL2 & Sigma 150-600mm L while I was out on a walk.

Standing & hand held - Single Shot Mode - AFS - AF Spot  @570mm  1/1250s  ISO800 f6.3 -subject dist. approx. 15m 

♀African Weaver approaching her nest,( this bird is all of 10cm tall) 

(please click on image for better res.)

Edited by michali
  • Like 12

38 minutes ago, michali said:

, the SL's are not in the category of the Sony's & Canon's for action, even though that mantra is getting a little stale. They're not as weak as made out to be.

Once you figure out the settings on the SL's that work for your style of photography, action images are not a big deal, and I'm not a machine gunner.

Agreed. A forum is a good place to get opinions expressed in an OTT way ("The SL can't do AF for action"), but not for balanced views. All modern cameras sit on a spectrum for AF performance, and while I have no doubt that those who say that Canon/Nikon/Sony do it superbly well are correct, the SLs are fine for action if you work out the best way to use them. See my website for examples from SL and SL2-S, all with L lenses.

Of course, if AF is the only criteria, I would recommend a Canon/Sony/Nikon - but I want more out of a camera than that. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, michali said:

Yes, the SL's are not in the category of the Sony's & Canon's for action, even though that mantra is getting a little stale. They're not as weak as made out to be.

Once you figure out the settings on the SL's that work for your style of photography, action images are not a big deal, and I'm not a machine gunner. What the SL's do also offer is simplicity & straightforward menus, without countless buttons & superfluous functions, something I personally consider most important.

This image was taken with the SL2 & Sigma 150-600mm L while I was out on a walk.

Standing & hand held - Single Shot Mode - AFS - AF Spot  @570mm  1/1250s  ISO800 f6.3 -subject dist. approx. 15m 

that is a gorgeous image!!! Thanks for sharing! Handheld? wow!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, michali said:

Yet another great wildlife shot, Mike. And, as usual, sensible advice. It’s all about how we use and know our gear, rather than relying totally on its specs. If AF-C and tracking are paramount, if you spray and pray fast moving subjects, then perhaps you’d be better off with other options, I honestly have no idea. Personally, I do feel more comfortable with accuracy over speed.

I’m certainly not in the same league as the great wildlife shooters on these threads (as illustrated by my attempt here 😂 - from a recent trip to Cape Cod from the UK). Considering I’m just a general photographer though, I reckon it’s ok for me. The kit is more advanced than I’ll ever be.

I took it with my Sigma 100-400 on the SL2-S; single-shot, spot autofocus. I’ve taken photos for fifty years now, so where I’ve come from (Nikon SLRs, max 400 ASA/ISO, MF, manual exposure) then any advanced tech is probably lost on me. And I do love the manual process of making decisions myself. Horses for courses I suppose.

Oh, and back on topic; please keep those Sigma DG DN i contemporary lenses coming - they are fantastic to use! 

Cheers everyone.

• Like 3

I used the Nikon d3s and d500 before switching to Leica, other level indeed. But I agree what Michali say's

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Chris Nebard said:

Yet another great wildlife shot, Mike. And, as usual, sensible advice. It’s all about how we use and know our gear, rather than relying totally on its specs. If AF-C and tracking are paramount, if you spray and pray fast moving subjects, then perhaps you’d be better off with other options, I honestly have no idea. Personally, I do feel more comfortable with accuracy over speed.

I’m certainly not in the same league as the great wildlife shooters on these threads (as illustrated by my attempt here 😂 - from a recent trip to Cape Cod from the UK). Considering I’m just a general photographer though, I reckon it’s ok for me. The kit is more advanced than I’ll ever be.

I took it with my Sigma 100-400 on the SL2-S; single-shot, spot autofocus. I’ve taken photos for fifty years now, so where I’ve come from (Nikon SLRs, max 400 ASA/ISO, MF, manual exposure) then any advanced tech is probably lost on me. And I do love the manual process of making decisions myself. Horses for courses I suppose.

Oh, and back on topic; please keep those Sigma DG DN i contemporary lenses coming - they are fantastic to use! 

Cheers everyone.

Thanks Chris. Wonderful shot!

Fully agree, there's a lot to be said about relying on skills & accuracy rather than expecting the camera to do everything for you. As you also said, I like to have manual control as much as possible over my images & not let the camera decide for me. I guess old habits are hard to break, 45 years of shooting mainly with M rangefinders can do that to you....

• Haha 1