Leica M10 Auto ISO question

Izzy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there. 

I’ve set my M10 to Aperture Priority. ISO Setup is set to Max Auto ISO 3200. Max exposure time 1/f.  28 Elmarit lens shot wide open. However the resulting image  was ISO800 (1/60) instead of a higher iso. Is there a reason why ISO 1600 was not used instead. Am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Izzy

Posted (edited)

It seems it had enough light for the move, going closer towards your desired setting.
Elmarit's f/2.8 at 1/60 and ISO800 means that Leica was holding the fine line between not unnecessarily raising the ISO and still balancing the handheldability with as short of a shutter speed as possible. If ISO1600 was used instead, the shutter speed would be 1/125, but that is already a departure from your 1/f setting. It's that simple.

Edited by Al Brown

9 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

It seems it had enough light for the move, going closer towards your desired setting.
Elmarit's f/2.8 at 1/60 and ISO800 means that Leica was holding the fine line between not unnecessarily raising the ISO and still balancing the handheldability with as short of a shutter speed as possible. If ISO1600 was used instead, the shutter speed would be 1/125, but that is already a departure from your 1/f setting. It's that simple.

Thanks Al. 

With my digital Ms, I never let the shutter speed be controlled by the camera.  I prefer to let it decide the ISO automatically, however.  My M10 I capped at 6400 and M10M 32,000.  I suppose because of this I don’t worry about blurry shots because the shutter chosen was too slow. 

Posted (edited)

Suggest you don't use Auto ISO on the dial. You can either set the dial to the ISO you want the camera to use, or set the dial to M and then use profiles to set a profile for your preferred ISOs.  Say one for ISO 200, one for ISO 800, one for ISO 6400 or one for Auto ISO.

You can use this with your preferred Max Exposure Time, or go full manual by rotating the speed dial to the speed of your choice.

Edited by rramesh