🔴 to ⚫️ Replacement

DW81

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, DW81 said:

Thanks, I was hoping for a replacement but I will do so then!

Another question, has anyone of you painted your silver m11s? My dealer did not have the black version in stock so I got the silver version and I was planning on painting it myself.

Does krylon spraypaints stick well? I was thinking of sanding the body lightly first.

Lift the camera up and look through the viewfinder. You will soon forget the body colour and see something worth photographing and remembering.  🟢

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DW81 said:

Thanks, I was hoping for a replacement but I will do so then!

Another question, has anyone of you painted your silver m11s? My dealer did not have the black version in stock so I got the silver version and I was planning on painting it myself.

Does krylon spraypaints stick well? I was thinking of sanding the body lightly first.

If you paint it black, you will reduce the weight by 110g 🤪.

• Haha 3

Going back to serious mode for 17 seconds, the black dots do pop up on eBay here and there, make sure you keep checking and that you get the right diameter for your camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JackieMac said:

My brother-in-law Chet's M10-P has fancy engraving on top. My silver M11 doesn't, for some reason. Should I figure out how to do this myself? Or should I just ask my neighbor, Gary? I think he has a router in his garage. Thanks.

Actually special engraving is something Leica will do for you. 

Like this you mean? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

A skilled technician can install a filter thread around the red dot, so you can protect it with a UV filter, or fit a green filter to turn it black.

👍 modern OKARO/ORAKO

becoming OLEDO 🙃

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, Pyrogallol said:

If you don’t mind taking a few zeros off the value. Take the camera to pieces to separate the chrome bits from the rest, sand them down to the bare metal, respray it, put it back together and keep it forever as no one will want to buy it.

Or trade it in for this one

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-bodies/17554-leica-m11-black-body.html

But that one has a red dot. 

On 7/18/2022 at 5:43 AM, jaapv said:

Because this is only one of two of the first MM1 series to be a la carte. I had to sign an NDA to get even this done. 

But now you've disclosed it. You'll be hearing from the Leica legal department. 

• 3 months later...

Serious questions now. Once the dot is painted black, what sand paper grit should one use to reveal the Leica lettering?
Also, should I go matte or glossy black?
Obviously the paint needs to dry, any glue that needs to be added?

PS
The only reason I am painting it black is I purchased M10 2nd hand and it had a black logo. M11? Well, my wife has no clue...

Edited by mirekti

On 10/21/2022 at 11:06 PM, mirekti said:

Serious questions now. Once the dot is painted black, what sand paper grit should one use to reveal the Leica lettering?

PS
The only reason I am painting it black is I purchased M10 2nd hand and it had a black logo. M11? Well, my wife has no clue...

This is actually the official reason Leica keeps the body the same form factor, according to my sources. It makes it easier to upgrade without our spouses knowing. Ok, now back to the “serious” question…

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, augustwest100 said:

This is actually the official reason Leica keeps the body the same form factor, according to my sources. It makes it easier to upgrade without our spouses knowing. Ok, now back to the “serious” question…

The most feared title of a new Leica book: The Deceived Wife's Guide to Identifying Different Models of Leica M cameras.

Such a book would strike terror into the hearts of Leica loving husbands around the globe. 😳

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 8:06 PM, mirekti said:

PS

This is what I used when sanding the paint off the Leica script.  Also use blue painters tape to mask off the round lower part of the logo and lightly sand in one direction until the desired amount of paint is removed.  Don't use glue.  I was recommended double sided carpet tape and not regular double sided Scotch tape as the latter would dry out, become brittle and cause loss of the logo eventually.  I bought the red logos from DAG and soaked them in acetone overnight then used a firm toothbrush to get all the red paint from the crevices.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ymc226 said:

This is what I used when sanding the paint off the Leica script.  Also use blue painters tape to mask off the round lower part of the logo and lightly sand in one direction until the desired amount of paint is removed.  Don't use glue.  I was recommended double sided carpet tape and not regular double sided Scotch tape as the latter would dry out, become brittle and cause loss of the logo eventually.  I bought the red logos from DAG and soaked them in acetone overnight then used a firm toothbrush to get all the red paint from the crevices.  

What paint did you use, a spray or you did it with a brush?

I’ve learned the “proper” way to do it would be to paint it and bake it in the oven.

As of now mine is painted all black and it looks horrible. 😂🤷‍♂️ I purchased a replacement one from DAG just in case I decide to sell the camera. 

Good tips, thanks. One day I might try to redo it.