Canon EF Lenses Being Discontinued...I

MakinMemories

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Canon is aggressively phasing out their EF mount lenses and going all in on their RF mirrorless mount lenses. (No adapters yet exist for Canon RF mount to L mount but of course the Sigma MC-21 works well with EF lenses) If anyone has a new Canon EF on their third party lens wish list, it might pay to start seriously looking...

I love my Leica SL lenses however there are two lenses I really want that Leica does not offer...One, a wide angle TS that Leica is rumored to be considering and a super telephoto that even rumors do not exist for. Canon however has both of these covered with the 17mm TS and their amazing and lightweight EF 600 f/4. The EF 600 f/4 has 5 stops of OIS and weighs just over six and three quarters pounds! A hand held 600 f/4... However the price of this lens new is $12,999...which is a lot of money and even more so for a lens considering it is being discontinued! There should however be more than a few EF 600 f/4 iii's that will be traded in for native RF 600 f/4's once stock is available...and yes, I am looking! New EF 17mm TS are already being discounted so it may make sense to snag one of these while the getting is good...

I would not hold my breath on Leica producing either of those lenses...both are highly specialized lenses, which Leica is unlikely to have the interest in producing. I am not trying to rain on your parade, it is just that Leica cannot seemingly build enough 35mm APO Summicrons to satisfy demand, so the engineering challenge and low volume these lenses would sell seem to make it unlikely that they would produce them. As far as I know, Leica themselves have never made a tilt shift lens. The S version was made by Schneider and is more or less off the shelf with Leica branding and an S mount, and the 35mm PC Curtagon for the R line was also a Schneider lens.

It seems to make sense to avail yourself of the lenses that are already available, as you seem to be doing...either native L mount versions like the Sigma telephotos, or the adapted EF lenses.

Another option, though trickier, would be to adapt the S to a view camera setup and use some of the already available digital lenses like the ones from Rodenstock and Schneider. I believe some of these might work with the Novoflex Balpro TS system. 17mm is going to be a stretch though...that is extraordinarily wide.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

48 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I would not hold my breath on Leica producing either of those lenses...both are highly specialized lenses, which Leica is unlikely to have the interest in producing. I am not trying to rain on your parade, it is just that Leica cannot seemingly build enough 35mm APO Summicrons to satisfy demand, so the engineering challenge and low volume these lenses would sell seem to make it unlikely that they would produce them. As far as I know, Leica themselves have never made a tilt shift lens. The S version was made by Schneider and is more or less off the shelf with Leica branding and an S mount, and the 35mm PC Curtagon for the R line was also a Schneider lens.

It seems to make sense to avail yourself of the lenses that are already available, as you seem to be doing...either native L mount versions like the Sigma telephotos, or the adapted EF lenses.

Another option, though trickier, would be to adapt the S to a view camera setup and use some of the already available digital lenses like the ones from Rodenstock and Schneider. I believe some of these might work with the Novoflex Balpro TS system. 17mm is going to be a stretch though...that is extraordinarily wide.

I sadly agree with you...Too bad Canon did not join the L alliance! 

However that is why I am actively searching for a 'pre-loved' EF 600mm F/4 iii (an amazing lens, a client of mine has one and is truly drool worthy) and will likely just buy one of the discounted new EF 17 TS lenses. If and that is a big if, Leica ever comes out with a Leica branded wide angle TS then I will just most likely just sell the Canon.

I would add that you should probably get a EOS Canon body to permanently attach to your 600/4.0. It's such a specialized (and huge) piece of kit that I wouldn't treat as like "just another lens."

Tilt-shift is another oddball use case. Anyone doing professional work with tilt-shift is using a medium format back on a technical camera. There are obvious reasons why Leica doesn't enter this market: their lenses wouldn't be any cheaper than Rodenstock Digarons and Apo-Sironars, and 35mm "full frame" isn't great for a type of photography that requires heavy tripods and maximum image quality. In other words, they would be fighting against cheaper low-end solutions, knowing full well that photographers who pay for higher quality will opt for medium format. It's a venture that's destined to failure.

That may change if we ever see a "mirrorless S." The current S is an SLR, which means that camera movements are limited by the mirror box (as they are with Hasselblad and PhaseOne SLRs).

The Online Photographer had an interesting take on Canon's T/S lenses: they exist purely to make the EOS system look more desirable.

Canon updated the Tilt-Shift lenses not to long ago and there are good quality and range from 17mm to 135mm.

The lens is adaptable to SL cameras, and the performance to the corners is superior to Sony and Nikon bodies because the Sl2 cameras have a very special sensor design.

this lenses have many application in photo and video capture.

I welcome more lenses like this, but canon lenses are good and the other option like Laowa and Schneider.  I find that canon lenses can have special mont that makes multiple shots easer and more precise without moving the lens position. good for multiple sticking.

Canon will probably never make any other mouth available. the only other option possible would be a universal PL mont. this days PL lenses can ever transmit lens information.

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

Anyone doing professional work with tilt-shift is using a medium format back on a technical camera.

I must disagree with you, since the 50MP range has come out all the photographers I know have been using mirrorless camera.

the offering from Silvestri, Phase one and other all have limitations and only are useful if you need 100-150mp.

Mirrorless camera have better apps for iPad shooting and bracketing without touching the camera. One photo can be composed by10-30 frames.

I shoot architectural and interior for AD , ELLE, and luxury hotels and the SL2 camera is very good for that.

the only downside of the TS-E 17mm is the distortion and the the use of POLA filter is difficult.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

I would add that you should probably get a EOS Canon body to permanently attach to your 600/4.0. It's such a specialized (and huge) piece of kit that I wouldn't treat as like "just another lens."

Tilt-shift is another oddball use case. Anyone doing professional work with tilt-shift is using a medium format back on a technical camera. There are obvious reasons why Leica doesn't enter this market: their lenses wouldn't be any cheaper than Rodenstock Digarons and Apo-Sironars, and 35mm "full frame" isn't great for a type of photography that requires heavy tripods and maximum image quality. In other words, they would be fighting against cheaper low-end solutions, knowing full well that photographers who pay for higher quality will opt for medium format. It's a venture that's destined to failure.

That may change if we ever see a "mirrorless S." The current S is an SLR, which means that camera movements are limited by the mirror box (as they are with Hasselblad and PhaseOne SLRs).

The Online Photographer had an interesting take on Canon's T/S lenses: they exist purely to make the EOS system look more desirable.

I think the EF 600 f/4 iii w/MC-21 adapter would be a good (though definitely a speciality use) fit with the SL2, several SL2 owners have reported outstanding results with the EF 400mm f/4 lenses from Canon. I have no plans to buy this lens new as Canon is killing the EF series and going all in on mirrorless with the RF series, buying 'pre-loved' will allow me to put those savings toward a future SL3 body and keep the SL2 as my 'second' body😊 The lure of this lens really got me when a good client (knowing many years ago I shot a lot with Canon) asked me to feel how light his monster super telephoto lens was-I was honestly shocked! The EF 600 f/4 iii is amazingly light at about six and three quarters pounds, it is huge but it's balance is crazy-it is not tippy or front heavy at all!

I originally wanted a TS next year to document construction of a new home, however that timetable has moved up due to an upcoming feature article on my business...I feel the Canon TS-E 17 will serve my needs now for taking interior shots of the showroom, keeping everything in proper perspective and certainly for my personal needs next year.

As for a mirrorless Leica S...While in Germany this past May, one of the staff at the Leica shop where I purchased my SL2 alluded to likelihood of a new mirrorless model S in the not too distant future...

If I were to dump money into a Canon 600/4 and shoot something that actually warrants a 600/4, I would just get a R3 or R5 to go with it rather than trying to make it work with the SL2. It’s just not worth it with the slow AF.

I have a Canon 300/2.8 IS and it’s still a great lens and I even have a MC-21 but I would still rather shoot it with my old 5DII than with the SL2-S.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 1:23 PM, MakinMemories said:

Canon is aggressively phasing out their EF mount lenses...

They are phasing out lenses which are not worth it. 

The only lenses Canon have in EF which are worth it were always L lenses.  IMO.

You could get working L EF lenses from nineties at awesome price. 

Canon is not stupid enough to not realize what even Canon ambassadors are not on RF yet.

Those are L EF users predominantly. 

I have contacted Canon Canada ambassador few weeks ago and she is still with 5D MK IV.

I have ditched Canon RF recently. Waste of money comparing to EF EOS system.

4 hours ago, beewee said:

If I were to dump money into a Canon 600/4 and shoot something that actually warrants a 600/4, I would just get a R3 or R5 to go with it rather than trying to make it work with the SL2. It’s just not worth it with the slow AF.

I have a Canon 300/2.8 IS and it’s still a great lens and I even have a MC-21 but I would still rather shoot it with my old 5DII than with the SL2-S.

I appreciate the feedback and your points are well taken. Call me hard headed however but I fully expect it to work just fine for my needs. Also, until now I always used manual focus and never had a problem in the past using a 300mm w/2xTeleconverter hand held and getting great shots-focusing was never an issue. Plus the EF 600 f/4 iii has 5 stops of OIS.

Worst case, I sell it and move on but I seriously doubt that will happen🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the search for a Super Tele for my SL2...Put a hold on looking for a mint EF 600 f/4 III as I now have a commitment for a nearly new EF 400 f/2.8 III with both 1.4 & 2.0 series III extenders, will take delivery as soon as their ordered RF 400 f/2.8 arrives. Recently got a fresh Sigma MC-21 adapter directly from Sigma and really looking forward to seeing just how the big Canon plays with the SL2! Hopefully the series III with it's 5 stops of OIS, lighter weight and faster AF than previous Canon 400 L glass will prove a good match for the SL2...Fingers crossed!

I did get a brief opportunity to try the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 and while it is a good lens, IMHO it is nowhere near the quality of the Leica SL 90-280mm nor the big Canon L glass...It is however a very good value. What I am searching for however is the fastest, highest quality super tele I can find, one as close to 'if Leica made it' as possible...🙂 

Too bad Canon is not a member of the L alliance...

On 7/16/2022 at 8:11 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

Hey, 

for the ts you can go with this adapter:

http://www.hartblei.de/de/whatsnew.htm

Either work with canon lenses or the l mount lenses too. 

the only problem is that covid and the war is making it very difficult to get one of the adapters. They are produced in ucraine. 

And what about the sigma telefoto lenses? 

the discontinued lenses are still repaired and serviced or not? 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pelu2010 said:

Hey, 

the only problem is that covid and the war is making it very difficult to get one of the adapters. They are produced in ucraine. 

The Sigma MC-21 adapter seems to be the best currently available EF to L mount adapter.

The only Sigma lens I have tried is the 150-600mm, and as noted in post #11 of this thread it is not in the same league as the Leica 90-280 or the Canon L glass. (IMHO) It is however a very good value!

The Canon EF lenses are being transitioned to RF and Canon has said there will be no new EF lenses offered and many EF lenses have already been discontinued. I am sure they will be supported for a few years at least! The only ones I am really interested in is the TS-E 17 and the Super Tele L glass...

On 7/29/2022 at 8:16 AM, Pelu2010 said:

Hey, 

Not sure about the benefit of this adapter with canon lenses.

1. there are no contacts to get AF and or F stop to work

2. Canon EF lenses have a small image circle to fit 35mm cameras. TS-E lenses are an exaction because they really have larger lenses that can cover medium format surface. this way when you shift you don't end up with a black moon somewhere.

In my experience other solution like Hasselblad or Mamyia lenses on 35mm cameras don't reproduce the image quality of a 35mm lens can do.

The sigma adapter and the Canon EF 17mm or 24mm are still the best solutions for SL2 cameras.

• Like 1