Apple Studio Display for Image Editing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious if anyone has picked up the new ASD 5K monitor for image editing, and if so did you choose regular glass or nano-textured? Any thoughts on the reference modes dedicated to photography and printing? Color accuracy straight out of the box? I'm so used to 2.5K monitors for judging print sharpness, I wonder if the 5K resolution will make this really difficult?

6 hours ago, jplomley said:

Curious if anyone has picked up the new ASD 5K monitor for image editing, and if so did you choose regular glass or nano-textured? Any thoughts on the reference modes dedicated to photography and printing? Color accuracy straight out of the box? I'm so used to 2.5K monitors for judging print sharpness, I wonder if the 5K resolution will make this really difficult?

I chose Glossy version Pro Display XDR because of the pixel density, P3 wide color gamut, versatile reference modes, TCON(576 LEDs/LCD Layer optimization controller), etc., and went through the EIZO Monitors TEST, luckily the testing result is fitting my expectations since it is not an easy job to calibrate this display expertly prior shipped out. 

At this point, I'd say that the Apple Studio Display, ASD is good enough in most of the case but the peak nits and contrast ratio is not on the same level with XDR. And the TOCN is the turnkey algorithm while comparing with other options.

I am highly satisfied with current setup since the color rendering is much better and it's not clinical at all while compared with the laptop display comes with 16" M1 Max Pro.

Regarding the nano-texture, it's fragile and vulnerable.

When you stand at 1 to 2 meter away, Nano-Texture display looks fine. While you sit in front of your Nano-Texture display, the characters on the screen seems blurry a bit due to the coating reduced the scale of sharpness, you might need to compromise with the less sharpness outcome if you don't mind.

On the side notes, you may want to stay with standard(glossy) glass unless you're in a room of sophisticated light source against your display.

The downside of the Nano-Texture glass is the nasty liquid droplets such as sneeze, coffee splash and accidental fingerprints, which means these dried specks that don’t come off with the special coating from the nano-texture and you can’t use liquid cleaners as Apple suggested.

Regarding the color rendering accuracy, you may check the EIZO monitor test and see if everything all right. EIZO monitor test HERE.

For further measurements and calibrations:

Measuring and calibrating Apple Pro Display XDR or so

Edited by Erato
revised - it's fragile and vulnerable
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I bought a pair of Studio Displays with the articulating hinge. Given the price point of about $2,000 per monitor, I wasn't terribly impressed so I ended up returning them for an Apple Pro Display XDR on a VESA mount and haven't looked back since.

Erik

I'm thinking for the price of the ASD, and Eizo might be the better choice. As I do a lot of printing, trying to decide between 2.5K and 4K monitor resolution. Have used 2.5K for as long as I can remember as 50% zoom pretty much emulates what the print will look like. Either way, tough to find a bad review of an Eizo monitor