Advice on 35mm Summilux-TL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I recently picked up a CL with the 18-56mm zoom and I'm contemplating adding the 35mm Summilux-TL to my kit.

Sadly, my local Leica store here in Sydney no longer has the lens in stock so my only option is to purchase online without first handling the lens.

Reviews seem very positive but my only hesitation is the size and weight. For those who own and use the lens on the CL, how do you like the balance of camera/lens combo?

I primarily use the CL as a walk-around and travel camera so having something that I can easily sling over my shoulder and walk out the door is my main consideration.

I already have the thumb support on the camera but would consider adding the hand grip as well if needed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Red-Man

A bit of research on weights and lengths will give a good idea on potential balance.  

I usually buy on commentry and forum feedback and learn to love whatever i buy. Otherwise go into some other store to try the lens, or keep waiting.

A single focal length will usually feel better roaming, rather than a zoom.  Which is what i often do...am over worrying about carrying huge range of camera stuff...single lens and something else deep in the suitcase ( wide angle).  That's it... make your pics work with one compact lens. :rolleyes:

Have fun.

53 minutes ago, david strachan said:

Hi Red-Man

A bit of research on weights and lengths will give a good idea on potential balance.  

I usually buy on commentry and forum feedback and learn to love whatever i buy. Otherwise go into some other store to try the lens, or keep waiting.

A single focal length will usually feel better roaming, rather than a zoom.  Which is what i often do...am over worrying about carrying huge range of camera stuff...single lens and something else deep in the suitcase ( wide angle).  That's it... make your pics work with one compact lens. :rolleyes:

Have fun.

Thanks David.

And I totally agree, I'm generally much more of a single focal length (50mm) shooter, which is the main reason for wanting the 35mm.

I've switched to the CL (and Q2) from an M10 so I'm used to using compact primes for a light walk-around kit.

If I could try the lens elsewhere I would but since Leica has now discontinued the TL/CL system, there are none available anywhere nearby.

The size and weight of the lens as per the spec sheet isn't anything too alarming but it's more that a number of online reviews comment on the 35mm feeling too big for the small CL body.

I can pick up a used example for a pretty decent price so I might just bite the bullet.

I don’t think the 35-TL is TOO big and heavy for the CL, but it’s definitely a little hefty and a a different beast than something like the 23-TL, for example. I have the zooms on order but have not handled them yet, so I can’t compare. I do think the 35-TL is a great lens and worth owning, and doesn’t feel unbalanced to me, although I use the time grip, hand grip, and finger loop on my CL. 

• Like 1

The TL 35 Lux is a lump, and not a very elegant one at that. No markings, no aperture scale or ring, nothing. It totally unbalances the CL. Best to use a grip on the body, it helps with the handling. Very nice background separation, though, so optically no complaints. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

The CL has found it's niche as my travel camera. I added the hand grip and thumb support after having the camera for about a year, and I love the hand grip. As far as balance of camera/lens combo, I think it's very comfortable and easy to use. I tend to notice an issue when using the Lumix 70-300 or Sigma full frame lens's. I've used the 35 TL as a light weight option on the SL2 with great results.

Edited by Shawn30
phrasing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/14/2022 at 4:44 AM, rouge_homme said:

Hi All,

I recently picked up a CL with the 18-56mm zoom and I'm contemplating adding the 35mm Summilux-TL to my kit.

Sadly, my local Leica store here in Sydney no longer has the lens in stock so my only option is to purchase online without first handling the lens.

Reviews seem very positive but my only hesitation is the size and weight. For those who own and use the lens on the CL, how do you like the balance of camera/lens combo?

I primarily use the CL as a walk-around and travel camera so having something that I can easily sling over my shoulder and walk out the door is my main consideration.

I already have the thumb support on the camera but would consider adding the hand grip as well if needed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

If it weren't for this lens I may have abandoned the CL system a while ago. I love it.. Yes it's on the big side (compared to say the 23mm) but you very quickly get used to it and if you have a thumb support already I don't think you'll be too perturbed.

I have M 35s that I think fit the CL very well, a 35mm pre asph Summilux at f1.4 and f2 I would expect the 35TL to be better sharpness wise. Though this lens gives the "Leica Glow", f2.8 and up it is a very sharp lens. The other is a Zeiss 35 f2.8 C-Biogon an all around excellent lens, both are small even with the M to L adapter. There is the Voigtlander 35 f1.4 Nokton folks like and is also small. Depends on what you like, if you are using f1.4 mostly then the 35TL would make sense as it would be less expensive than Leica Summilux M.

I had one and recently sold it. I just didn't take it with me anywhere b/c it is a honker of a lens and why take the CL if you are going "big"? (well, I have multiple cameras...but when I travel with the CL I want to stay compact). That said, IQ was pretty outstanding. Make that terrifically outstanding.

Thanks for the feedback.

Seems like there are mixed opinions on the overall handling but a consensus on great performance.

On paper it doesn't appear overly large or heavy (certainly smaller than SL primes) but I guess it's all a matter of relativity because the CL body is so compact.

It's a terrific lens.  

Attached to the body it will not fit in your pocket, but it is no big deal to carry about.  It weighs 15 oz, less than a pound. (The  TL18-56 weighs 9 oz and the SL 50 sum micron weighs 1.6 lbs).

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, rouge_homme said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Seems like there are mixed opinions on the overall handling but a consensus on great performance.

On paper it doesn't appear overly large or heavy (certainly smaller than SL primes) but I guess it's all a matter of relativity because the CL body is so compact.

It's all relative, and I think a big part of your opinion will be driven by your expectations as well as previous experience in terms of gear used.  I cut my teeth shooting small, lightweight film SLRs (e.g., Nikon FG, Contax 139Q, Contax Aria - all 500 grams or less). The Leica CL is actually even smaller and lighter than these, and perhaps why I prefer to use the thumb grip, hand grip, AND thumb loop. But I'm also used to using some bigger SLR lenses (the Carl Zeiss 85 f/1.4 comes to mind as a frequent walkabout lens), so the Summilux-TL 35mm doesn't seem like a particularly "big lens" to me. To me the 55-135mm feels significantly bigger, although it is not really huge either, especially for offering an effective focal length of 200mm.  

But I suppose if your background and experience is more in the rangefinder world, even the TL lenses might seem large.  I'm just now getting into M-mount lenses, and man are they tiny, for the most part.  Totally different ball of wax.  

Someone will mention the idea of "balance" I'm sure, but I think that is a pretty subjective measure.  To me, the CL (with various grip aids as mentioned previously) is balanced perfectly fine with the 35mm, although I will add that I am in the habit of shooting two-handed, with my left hand supporting the lens (pretty much regardless of lens).  But in between shots I am comfortable carrying the CL + 35 in my right hand alone, sans even a wrist strap (provided I'm using the finger loop, of course).

But there's no denying it's one of the heftier lenses of the TL lineup, and if your goal is to be as small and light as possible (and you don't mind manual focus), you can find smaller offerings from Leica or Voigtländer at 35mm and f/1.4 or better.  But IMO the 35-TL is a thoroughly modern lens and a beautiful piece of industrial design that complements the TL and CL cameras well, and is really a highlight of the entire system, and a lens that I personally wouldn't be without.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 12:06 AM, rouge_homme said:

If I could try the lens elsewhere I would but since Leica has now discontinued the TL/CL system, there are none available anywhere nearby.

Late to this thread, but as you are in the US, rental is an option for a few days or longer…

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/leica-35mm-f1.4-summilux-tl

Jeff

Thanks again for the input.

I'm actually based in Australia now so rental isn't an option, sadly.

However, I managed to find a used example at a local reseller and had a look at the lens yesterday. It's actually not as big in the flesh as I had expected - certainly a little heftier than the 18-56mm zoom but still relatively compact in the wider spectrum of fast autofocus lenses.

My main consideration now is whether I go for the Summilux-TL or adapt an M lens as suggested above. I don't have a huge need for the f/1.4 aperture so I'd probably opt for a 35mm Summicron (or even a Summarit). Obviously, I'd be sacrificing autofocus but I have always enjoyed the manual experience of M lenses.

Planning to visit my local Leica store over the weekend to play with some options.